Announcer Really Favored the Cards

MagnusXXIII

Anyone notice how aweful Thom Brennaman was during that game.

"Penalities killed a promising drive." was stated after the Falcons dominated on D.

The holding call when Grimes was tackled was legit ... the play may not have unfolded the way it did if it weren't for the blantant hold.

The Falcons D deserved credit.

Also, he made a big deal about the Cards second procedure penalty on the play where we intercepted the ball. The penalty was declined ... so no effect on the play.

It was not until we were up 34-7 when he gave up rooting for the Cards.

Oh ... and how our D is soooo undersized compared to the Cards O line.

News flash ... our O line is much bigger than there D line too.

Most are.

This same stat was brought out during the Steelers game ... but only one-sidedly.

Funny - neither teams "mongo" o-line could run the ball on us.

I didn't hear any of this, but I am not suprised. It happens all the time. The only time it really gets to me is if we are losing. Then I can't take it.

Also I can't believe Billick was so clueless about our team since Smith is his bro-in-law. "Anthony Gonzalez" is not a way to treat a future HOFer. And he kept going on and on about how Snelling is a such an unknown. The dude balled last year when Turner was out!

They said even the Falcons didn't know what they had in Snelling.Really?

OK, we kind of helped you guys out with this one...knew you needed a lift after that Pittsburgh debacle.

15 yard penalty in second half for facemask or hit to the head when no one touched the QB's face mask; even the Coaches brother in law (yes he was commentating) could not think of anything to say on that one.

Holding call on Breaston when the player threw himself backwards onto the floor; BS.

Rogers Cromartie got hit with two pass interference calls on obviously uncatchable balls, and Toler got called for a helmet-to-helmet on what was actually a clean shoulder hit.

A lot of holding on the Falcons O-line that didn't get called; makes it awfully easy to run the ball when you can grab guys jerseys, push them down with your hands, hold them on the turf etc. We let you slide.

Then there was the holding call on the big return, called on "#90" -- who does not even play on special teams. That was our little special gift to you to keep the Cards out of the game.

So thank the refs, Falcons faithful, because even though the Cardinals suck, the zebras basically stepped in when it was 10-7 and let you guys run away with this one. Falcon home game attendance has been down, you didn't look good against Pittsburgh, and you needed increased fan buy-in. Do not expect the same kind of sympathy or hankie action, when you play against the Saints, who always have the pity and sympathy of the league and the refs and the nation. I'm just preparing you fans for it now -- those calls will NOT go your way when you get up against the feel-good story of Katrina, +5. The league knows where its bread and butter is. You saw it last year in the Superdome Saints/Falconsgame...don't say you didn't.

The NFL is buying into the "Rise Up" advertising/marketing campaign, to a limited degree. They know the Falcons organization spent a lot of money on that, trying to make the team appear to be headed in a positive direction despite not really winning much of anything in recent years, except in years when the Saints don't do well, the Falcons look great then. The league is pleased with the "Rise Up" campaign for a small market team -- they respect and love that sort of marketing drivel. They've seen what the Saints have done in their small market and want to replicate it in other venues. Now, because of Samuel Jackson and that slogan, you are supposed to be a better team and brand this year. You needed that game yesterday badly. So we are going to throw you some bones here and there, as we can. But don't look for that kind of support against the Saints; they're the nation's darlings right now and the refs will give them EVERY benefit they can.

OK, we kind of helped you guys out with this one...knew you needed a lift after that Pittsburgh debacle.

15 yard penalty in second half for facemask or hit to the head when no one touched the QB's face mask; even the Coaches brother in law (yes he was commentating) could not think of anything to say on that one.

Holding call on Breaston when the player threw himself backwards onto the floor; BS.

Rogers Cromartie got hit with two pass interference calls on obviously uncatchable balls, and Toler got called for a helmet-to-helmet on what was actually a clean shoulder hit.

A lot of holding on the Falcons O-line that didn't get called; makes it awfully easy to run the ball when you can grab guys jerseys, push them down with your hands, hold them on the turf etc. We let you slide.

Then there was the holding call on the big return, called on "#90" -- who does not even play on special teams. That was our little special gift to you to keep the Cards out of the game.

So thank the refs, Falcons faithful, because even though the Cardinals suck, the zebras basically stepped in when it was 10-7 and let you guys run away with this one. Falcon home game attendance has been down, you didn't look good against Pittsburgh, and you needed increased fan buy-in. Do not expect the same kind of sympathy or hankie action, when you play against the Saints, who always have the pity and sympathy of the league and the refs and the nation. I'm just preparing you fans for it now -- those calls will NOT go your way when you get up against the feel-good story of Katrina, +5. The league knows where its bread and butter is. You saw it last year in the Superdome Saints/Falconsgame...don't say you didn't.

The NFL is buying into the "Rise Up" advertising/marketing campaign, to a limited degree. They know the Falcons organization spent a lot of money on that, trying to make the team appear to be headed in a positive direction despite not really winning much of anything in recent years, except in years when the Saints don't do well, the Falcons look great then. The league is pleased with the "Rise Up" campaign for a small market team -- they respect and love that sort of marketing drivel. They've seen what the Saints have done in their small market and want to replicate it in other venues. Now, because of Samuel Jackson and that slogan, you are supposed to be a better team and brand this year. You needed that game yesterday badly. So we are going to throw you some bones here and there, as we can. But don't look for that kind of support against the Saints; they're the nation's darlings right now and the refs will give them EVERY benefit they can.

We kicked your butts Refs or not-couldnt contain our running game/couldnt convert a third down. Even with that kickoff run back we still ran you guys off the field.

We took 4 knees on your 5 yard line. Refs or not you guys took an old fashion butt whoopin.

Also I can't believe Billick was so clueless about our team since Smith is his bro-in-law. "Anthony Gonzalez" is not a way to treat a future HOFer. And he kept going on and on about how Snelling is a such an unknown. The dude balled last year when Turner was out!

Yea, I was surprised he kept on saying how unknown Snelling was. I was wondering if he saw any of the last few games of Falcons last year. Snell was a "breast" and still is !

The cards were frustrated and played like thugs.

But regardless, the refs penalized the Falcons and Cards equally. Unlike when the Refs cheated for the Cards in the 2008 playoffs.

The cards made only two plays on offense all game.

I guess Ryans helmet just flew off by itself.

And the helmet on helmet contact was not flagrant.

Face it, you desperately needed that win yesterday, after how pitiful you looked in preseason, and so anemic in Pittsburgh against a 3rd string QB the week before. It was getting scary in Falconland. People were doubting the whole "Rise Up" ad campaign, people on this forum were no longer thinking about their back-to-back winning seasons last year, and it was only week one of the season. That's too much money to throw away. That ad campaign was supposed to last the whole year.

The Cardinals (notice, I used 3rd person THEY, not "we" )did not "need" anything yesterday, because they stunk going into that game. Without Kurt Warner they are a terrible team, and have no marketing or media interest to the NFL whatsoever. But the Falcons however, they have this "Rise Up" Campaign, which cost a lot of money and needs results. They desperately needed a win, going in the to New Orleans game, and not just any win: they needed a romping stomping convincing home opener victory -- and the refs were happy to oblige. The score was 10-7 when the gimme penalties started in earnest. The mighty Falcons "rose up" against a doormat team, with plenty of help from the zebras, and now you fans are all pumped up again. Mission accomplished.

Anyone notice how aweful Thom Brennaman was during that game.

"Penalities killed a promising drive." was stated after the Falcons dominated on D.

The holding call when Grimes was tackled was legit ... the play may not have unfolded the way it did if it weren't for the blantant hold.

The Falcons D deserved credit.

Also, he made a big deal about the Cards second procedure penalty on the play where we intercepted the ball. The penalty was declined ... so no effect on the play.

It was not until we were up 34-7 when he gave up rooting for the Cards.

all i noticed was he kept saying our D Line was undersized.. I dont reallu feel with JA98, and Peterson and Jerry we are undersized at all.. The Colts D Line is way smaller than ours..

So did the refs and the NFL help Snelling and Turner break all those tackles too? Face it, the calls made an easy win become a rout, thats it. In the end we beat the living daylights out of a team we should have.

Forget Brennaman, what about the clown with him in the booth...............our Smitty's own brother-in-law,,,,,,,,,,,,,the motor mouth himself, Brian Billick ??? He was pulling for Arizona from kickoff till the game got completely out of hand in the 4th quarter. He wasn't even bright enough to conceal his bias.

There may be bad blood and jealousy between he and Smitty. Perhaps he wanted our O coordinator job and was ignored ????

Who knows.

Face it, the calls made an easy win become a rout, thats it.

I agree with you completely. IF there was any doubt about the momentum of the game, when it was still at 10-7, before the calls against the Cards started coming in, the game was quickly turned into a rout from that point forward. When the calls started, the rout began -- and the Cardinals just eventually gave up and folded, because they suck. And that was some great running and broken tackles by Snelling and Turner, you are absolutely right about that. And a lot of holding by the Falcon offensive line, which was not called, which made him able to break those runs -- whereas in a closer, tighter game, with a sharper crew, those holds might definitely have been flagged. A win is a win -- "I'll take it" as they say -- but here you are today, celebrating a "rout" in your home opener, instead of just a pedestrian win, and the refs helped you out with that. You admit it helped your team, and it has obviously got your fans pumped up again. Again, I say Mission Accomplished. Silently thank the refs on your way out the stadium.

On the other hand, if the Falcons had lost yesterday, or if it had been close (say a nail biter like in Pittsburgh, with the Cards hanging in there, without all the penalties and better play on 3rd downs), then the uncertainty and doubt about the Falcons, going into this Saints game, would have muted the effectiveness of the "Rise Up" advertising campaign, which your team has bought and invested so much in. So the refs definitely entered the game and did the Falcons AND the "Rise Up" advertising campaign a few favors yesterday, in your big home opener. It's good for business.

Wow, the refs made a 31 point difference? Amazing... didn't know it was possible.

Hey Ref, your a tool!!! What are you, a Panthers fan is what I'm guessing? We lose an OT game at one of the hardest places to play, against what looks to be the #1 defense in the NFL. Then we run rampant on the Cards, your response "The refs gave us the win"

Tell me something, what did the refs have to do with our oline, completly dominate the LOS? What did the refs have to do with Anderson throwing 2 picks? What did the refs have to do with our defense stuffing the run all day(except for the long TD)?

I'm anxious to hear your response, oh sucks for you Panther fans, expect around 4 wins this year.

I agree with you completely. IF there was any doubt about the momentum of the game, when it was still at 10-7, before the calls against the Cards started coming in, the game was quickly turned into a rout from that point forward. When the calls started, the rout began -- and the Cardinals just eventually gave up and folded, because they suck. And that was some great running and broken tackles by Snelling and Turner, you are absolutely right about that. And a lot of holding by the Falcon offensive line, which was not called, which made him able to break those runs -- whereas in a closer, tighter game, with a sharper crew, those holds might definitely have been flagged. A win is a win -- "I'll take it" as they say -- but here you are today, celebrating a "rout" in your home opener, instead of just a pedestrian win, and the refs helped you out with that. You admit it helped your team, and it has obviously got your fans pumped up again. Again, I say Mission Accomplished. Silently thank the refs on your way out the stadium.

On the other hand, if the Falcons had lost yesterday, or if it had been close (say a nail biter like in Pittsburgh, with the Cards hanging in there, without all the penalties and better play on 3rd downs), then the uncertainty and doubt about the Falcons, going into this Saints game, would have muted the effectiveness of the "Rise Up" advertising campaign, which your team has bought and invested so much in. So the refs definitely entered the game and did the Falcons AND the "Rise Up" advertising campaign a few favors yesterday, in your big home opener. It's good for business.

Tell me you're joking with this post. The NFL could care less about the Rise Up campaign. I guess the Cardinals D must have cared more judging by how they allowed the Falcons offense to kill them virtually every time they touched the ball. Yes I will admit not all the calls against the Cards were great ones. However, there aren't enough bad calls in the world that will force a 41 point score on and NFL team. Derek Anderson played like crap and the defense stunk. Now if you want to say we shouldn't be pounding our chest from beating such a terrible team go ahead it will sound better than talking about how the NFL wanted to save our marketing campaign. LOL funniest thing I've heard all day!

I laughed at the announcers most of the game because they were in shock at how good Jason Snelling was playing, as though everyone should be shocked. Any Falcon's fan or anyone who has watched the Falcons the last couple years for that matter, has known that Jason Snelling is a great player for some time now. Granted he had a career day, it's not as big of a surprise as the announcers were making it out to be IMO.

I will say this, I thought brian billick done a great job commentating on the game, he explained a lot of things most announcers don't as to how to approach certain situations in the game.