Mularkey on NFLN "Playbook" last night...

Mularkey on "Playbook" last night was very uninspiring. He tried to make his system sound so complex and all, but it really came down to "We run the same plays all the time and the WR and QB decide which routes to run out of the same formations."

Sounds great on paper, but the truth is, once the qb and wr decide which route runs best, they tend to do it the same time after time, which puts their tendencies down on film for defenses to study. Then they can line up in certain formations and KNOW what route the WR and QB are going to decide on.

So he was basically deferring all the responsibility and blame on his QB. Again. Nice.

Yeah, it was almost as if he doesn't coordinate anything at all. It was like, "From here, the WR can run an out, an in, or a go route, depending on the defensive alignment."

Once again, letting the defense dictate where you throw.

this almost comes off as lazy on his part. hes just going to take what the defense gives him and be happy with it. if we win, then great. if we lose, oh well.

He IS lazy. He's a guy whose scheme hasn't changed in what, like fifteen years? A guy who relies on "smashmouth" football plays, basic offenses, and gimmick plays.

During the game, I heard the announcers say, "The Pittsburgh coaches watched game tape of Jax vs Tenn when Smitty was DC of Jax to get an idea of how he runs defense against a mobile qb (They were comparing Dixon's athletic skills to Vince Young's)."

This kind of opponent studying and film research separates winners from losers. I can't say with surety that Mularkey puts that kind of preparation into each week's offensive gameplan.

Mularkey on "Playbook" last night was very uninspiring. He tried to make his system sound so complex and all, but it really came down to "We run the same plays all the time and the WR and QB decide which routes to run out of the same formations."

Sounds great on paper, but the truth is, once the qb and wr decide which route runs best, they tend to do it the same time after time, which puts their tendencies down on film for defenses to study. Then they can line up in certain formations and KNOW what route the WR and QB are going to decide on.

Intresting insight (+ to you by the way Falconchef for bringing it to us). While I am far less than happy with the way our offense has been moving, it was very enlightining to hear how Mularkey is acutally running things. I've been defending this guy for a while but if he and the offense can't get thier gamplans togther on the same page it might be time to start thinking about a new OC.

Bingo.

I was thinking the same thing- I caught Playbook today and it did look like a system drawn up the night before at the Waffle House on a napkin. How can Ryan hit these guys if they are always deciding which of 3 ways to go 2 or 3 seconds after the snap? Now I can see why our guys looked confused out there as they have too many options and Ryan doesn't know what will happen unless he calls no huddle and takes the play away from Mularkey

Bingo.

I was thinking the same thing- I caught Playbook today and it did look like a system drawn up the night before at the Waffle House on a napkin. How can Ryan hit these guys if they are always deciding which of 3 ways to go 2 or 3 seconds after the snap? Now I can see why our guys looked confused out there as they have too many options and Ryan doesn't know what will happen unless he calls no huddle and takes the play away from Mularkey

Option routes are used even at the high school level. They're huge in "spread" offenses, especially in the Colts' system.