Here's the Deal: is it the Oline, Turner or Ryan?

I keep seeing Dukes blabbering about a lack of confidence in the organization about Ryan; but then follow that up by saying Turner has to run better. So is it Ryan? Turner? Or the Oline that protects them both?

Or could it be...dare i say it: WE JUST PLAYED A **** FINE DEFENSE AT THEIR HOME!!!

Seriously, thoughts? My thought process is that we seriously need a back to compliment and share the load with Turner. I think Michael is a good back, but i don't see a 2008 return to form. He's kinda a twinkle toes, get a crease and then power it guy. Very predictable.

I keep seeing Dukes blabbering about a lack of confidence in the organization about Ryan; but then follow that up by saying Turner has to run better. So is it Ryan? Turner? Or the Oline that protects them both?

Or could it be...dare i say it: WE JUST PLAYED A **** FINE DEFENSE AT THEIR HOME!!!

Seriously, thoughts? My thought process is that we seriously need a back to compliment and share the load with Turner. I think Michael is a good back, but i don't see a 2008 return to form. He's kinda a twinkle toes, get a crease and then power it guy. Very predictable.

My thoughts are this. There are Pro Bowl players on this offense but NONE on the offensive line!! The offensive line got abused by Pittsburgh's defense. I don't care how good their defense is, if you are a playoff caliber team this should NEVER happen! It was disgusting, like watching college players against pros. This is where the organization needs to make improvements if there is to be any Super Bowl talk. Once Pittsburgh controlled the line of scrimmage, that shut down the run down completely and made the offense one dimensional. Don't blame Ryan...don't blame Turner..they are fine for the most part. The offensive line got whipped and that's why the offense scored zip!!

I fully expect next years first round pick to be an offensive lineman...if people like me who are not part of the organization can see it, then I'm sure Mr. Dmitroff and company can see it as well.

It's a chain reaction effect that starts with the O-Line. Everyone is kind of at fault but the O-Line is where everything begins. And ends.

I agree with you most. I really wonder if the lack of talent has caught up with the overachievers. Perhaps the type of calls called have been because of the Oline. I also wonder if our desire to draft mostly defense the last couple of years (particularly with our ones and twos) is catching up with us. We drafted Jerry, Moore, and Weatherspoon, the list kind of goes on with those critical first and second round picks that great Oline are generally drafted at. I'm still a bit perturbed at the one sided defensive drafts the last two years. Yeah, i know we drafted Ryan and Baker in first round and HD in 3rd round in 08; but other than that we keep drafting late round wrs,and Oline.

Agree with this. Though IMO last Sunday Turner gave the worst performance of the 3.

i can't argue that point. Turner is a strange one to me. He's awesome against weak teams but strong at the point teams seem to own him. But what's really weird is his whole "tap dance" routine. THe dude's 235-250 lbs yet he does that little barry sanders thing--why not just do like bettis did and just slam the fricken line? I honestly think that if we had gotten a jhavid best or CJ Spiller type to share carries with then turner would be much more effective, regardless of line

I have always held the belief that battles are won in the trenches. The number of the battles you win determines your overall outcome in the war. I hold this belief for the lines as well, on both sides of the ball. Personally, I feel the Falcons have always had problems with their O-Line for several years now.I believe that's where we need to start.

While Turner did not look good, Snelling had the biggest hole of the day (to the left side of the line) and made a right turn right into a tackler. I have no idea what he was thinking.

IMO, Mularkey should be coaching an SEC team rather than an NFL team. Apparently, he is used to having bigger, stronger guys who are able to beat their man one on one. We do not have that type of personnel.

It's all 3 of them. Games are won and lost in the trenches so it starts with the o-line but there were holes for twinkle toes to run through he just got there late and they closed up. he ran like he was scared. but then there were alot of plays that there just wasn't any holes. And ryan has to be more accurate and less hesitant!

I have always held the belief that battles are won in the trenches. The number of the battles you win determines your overall outcome in the war. I hold this belief for the lines as well, on both sides of the ball. Personally, I feel the Falcons have always had problems with their O-Line for several years now.I believe that's where we need to start.

I agree. It's funny because they have invested in the Dline, but very little on the Oline. This year's draft picks apparently are just good backups at this point and it would seem the 5th rounder from 09 Reynolds is a depth guy as well.

I will go on the record now: I WOULD BE OVERJOYED IF WE SHIPPED EITHER A FIRST OR 2ND ROUNDER TO NE FOR MANKINS AND SIGNED HIM TO A LONG TERM DEAL.

He's a stud and it'd be like drafting early.

Our o-line really kind of sucks. It's not that good. Sam Baker needs to be moved to RT. Dahl and Clabo need to be replaced. McClure needs to retire. Blaylock is the only one of this group I would keep next season.

I agree. I would really love to get Mankins push Dahl to the bench. I'm not a Clabo fan either but i doubt RT can be worked out this year. But an interesting note on Mankins is that he was a LT in college--his whole career. The other interesting thought if we got Mankins (big IF) is that Blalock was a RT in college as well. You almost wonder if trying one or the other out at Tackle could be an improvement. But regardless, i'd feel a heckuva lot better with Mankins and Blaylock at Guards if we gotta ride out Baker and Clabo.

I would love a true LT drafted next year. Baker would be a very good RT

BTW i know no rumors of Falcons and Mankins--but a fellow could hope.

I agree with you most. I really wonder if the lack of talent has caught up with the overachievers. Perhaps the type of calls called have been because of the Oline. I also wonder if our desire to draft mostly defense the last couple of years (particularly with our ones and twos) is catching up with us. We drafted Jerry, Moore, and Weatherspoon, the list kind of goes on with those critical first and second round picks that great Oline are generally drafted at. I'm still a bit perturbed at the one sided defensive drafts the last two years. Yeah, i know we drafted Ryan and Baker in first round and HD in 3rd round in 08; but other than that we keep drafting late round wrs,and Oline.

Exactly. I think next year we draft OL and WR early. But it does start with the line.

It's none of the above.

It's Mike Mularky.

All these players you want to fire, retire or replace, Jedi, are the same guys we've had on the line

for two seasons. Continuity is important across the offensive line. Although they havnt been playing

up to our standards, those guys are not the culprit of the problems our offense is facing right now.

It's bringing an outdated and predictable scheme to the table on gameday and then letting the defense

dictate your gameplan.

We were able to cover up our weaknesses in '08 and move the ball but now all of a sudden we cant?

I'm not buying into the theory either that all our offensive guys have "slowed down" or are "washed up",

or that Ryan is suddenly not as god as everyone thought he was going to be.

Com'n man. The no huddle works great. Turner looked good running in pre-season- we just got

manhandled by a good Pitt defense.

How come Norwood looked so good last sunday but barely touched the ball? Douglas? Weems? Peele?

Here's some of Mularkys greatest hits from last Sunday:

We have a power back, lets pitch it to him on the outside and make him run 15 yards sideways

before he can get going forward down the field. Tackled for a loss of two....good job Mularky. <_<

Let's throw a wide right screen on the short side of the field to our #1 WR with no blocking so he

can possible get gang raped by the LBs and Safties.....no gain, and sore receiver. Good job Mularky. <_<

Let's finally get a good drive going to win the game, get to the opponents five yard line and then

chicken out on going for the win and wet ourselves....

/rant over

It's none of the above.

It's Mike Mularky.

All these players you want to fire, retire or replace, Jedi, are the same guys we've had on the line

for two seasons. Continuity is important across the offensive line. Although they havnt been playing

up to our standards, those guys are not the culprit of the problems our offense is facing right now.

It's bringing an outdated and predictable scheme to the table on gameday and then letting the defense

dictate your gameplan.

We were able to cover up our weaknesses in '08 and move the ball but now all of a sudden we cant?

I'm not buying into the theory either that all our offensive guys have "slowed down" or are "washed up",

or that Ryan is suddenly not as god as everyone thought he was going to be.

Com'n man. The no huddle works great. Turner looked good running in pre-season- we just got

manhandled by a good Pitt defense.

How come Norwood looked so good last sunday but barely touched the ball? Douglas? Weems? Peele?

Here's some of Mularkys greatest hits from last Sunday:

We have a power back, lets pitch it to him on the outside and make him run 15 yards sideways

before he can get going forward down the field. Tackled for a loss of two....good job Mularky. <_<

Let's throw a wide right screen on the short side of the field to our #1 WR with no blocking so he

can possible get gang raped by the LBs and Safties.....no gain, and sore receiver. Good job Mularky. <_<

Let's finally get a good drive going to win the game, get to the opponents five yard line and then

chicken out on going for the win and wet ourselves....

/rant over

Im going to have to disagree with you.

Then we'll just have to disagree.

I think we've built a good team here in Atlanta. We should be a playoff team, at least.

Now we've got to have the proper game plans and schemes that play to our many strengths to get the job done.

i partially agree with you. I don't think that we need to completely revamp our whole offense--although with age and pending contracts we may have to. But i do think we need to invest in our Oline. We are going to part ways with either Clabo or Dahl or both soon. Mclure will retire eventually. W e definitely need a LT. And Turner, even if he turns the corner cant run forever and needs a compliment.

And, of course, Gonzo.

Mularkey concerns me with his playcalling. But schematically, i doubt we do huge changes. For example i doubt we put a Martz offense here, or a true WCO for that matter. But i argued this during the draft, as did others, that we are not as stacked offensively as people think. Beyond Roddy White who do we have at WR? Tony G is good, but since when has a team won a superbowl based on a receiving TE? i can't think of one. If you can, please post. Bottom line we've not really invested a lot in making the offense potent beyond our 08 adds (baker, Ryan), Our Tony G. add (2009); unless you count extending a blocking wr who's hurt (jenkins) as adding weapons.

I really believe it had a lot to do with Pitt's Defensive front being better than many of us thought they would be.

Secondly I'm inclined to say a lot of the problem is with the Falcon O-line and I've said that for the last 2 years.

Tandy had a thread where she said the time Ryan had to get a pass off was about 1.7 seconds before the D got to him. That in itself answers one of the complaints about long pass plays. At that rate even the best WRs are only 20 yards down field.

It also shows that the O-line can't sustain their blocks long enough for any long pass plays.

On run blocking, its seems to be the opposiang team's make up as to how well thje O-line does. Some games the Falcons seem to be able to run rightbut not left. Other games it's the reverse. Individual match-ups are the key.

I really believe it is far far to early to lay blame in any direction. Everyone can do better.

It is none of the above. It is team maturity. We will get better through the season, but for now the moniker of "dome team" very much fits.

We will go out and run when we want on Sunday. Ryan will look efficient. Our defense will make people start questioning Anderson in St. Louis.

Our home and away record over the past two seasons is not a fluke. Trust and believe what I tell you. You will see post after post late Sunday proclaiming week one a fluke, "this is the real Falcons team." The sad truth is this, until they win a tough game on the road, this is two different teams. We have one road team that is a very average squad. We also have a home team that looks like world beaters most of the time.

Week 3 is the next test. I'm thinking we are getting there. We didn't execute on the road, but we managed only to make one bad mistake on each side of the ball (int, and OT run). Against a quality team I'll take that.

Recall last years stand out disasters? NE and Dallas. Two big physical teams on the road...very Pittsburgh like in many ways. Our week one effort against the Steelers was a step in the right direction. However, we still have to become a team that plays .500 or better on the road if we hope to win a division.

It is none of the above. It is team maturity. We will get better through the season, but for now the moniker of "dome team" very much fits.

We will go out and run when we want on Sunday. Ryan will look efficient. Our defense will make people start questioning Anderson in St. Louis.

Our home and away record over the past two seasons is not a fluke. Trust and believe what I tell you. You will see post after post late Sunday proclaiming week one a fluke, "this is the real Falcons team." The sad truth is this, until they win a tough game on the road, this is two different teams. We have one road team that is a very average squad. We also have a home team that looks like world beaters most of the time.

Week 3 is the next test. I'm thinking we are getting there. We didn't execute on the road, but we managed only to make one bad mistake on each side of the ball (int, and OT run). Against a quality team I'll take that.

Recall last years stand out disasters? NE and Dallas. Two big physical teams on the road...very Pittsburgh like in many ways. Our week one effort against the Steelers was a step in the right direction. However, we still have to become a team that plays .500 or better on the road if we hope to win a division.

Week 1 kinda reminds me of the NYJ game, Sanchez wasn't better than Dixon. Our offense struggled, our defense held, the big difference is that we won the Jets game.