Help a political newbie out

Joremarid

Can someone explain to me why I should care if Nathan Deal is in debt? Honestly, why does it matter?

b/c honestly i don't care at all, wondering why the press is making such a big fuss about it.

The Governor is kinda like the CEO of the state. If a guy can't adequately manage his own finances, do you want him to be in charge of managing the state's finances? Not to mention managing the rest of the state business.

IMO, that's the whole point in the mud slinging: to try to portray the guy as incompetent. But, once again, we are left with having to choose the lesser of the evils rather than supporting a quality candidate.

The Governor is kinda like the CEO of the state. If a guy can't adequately manage his own finances, do you want him to be in charge of managing the state's finances? Not to mention managing the rest of the state business.

IMO, that's the whole point in the mud slinging: to try to portray the guy as incompetent. But, once again, we are left with having to choose the lesser of the evils rather than supporting a quality candidate.

i see what you are saying but to me the fact that he is in debt really doesn't bother me.

Can someone explain to me why I should care if Nathan Deal is in debt? Honestly, why does it matter?

b/c honestly i don't care at all, wondering why the press is making such a big fuss about it.

Because if he is found guilty of all the things he is accused of he may spend more time in jail than in the Governors office if elected. Also he may spend more time fighting his legal battles then actually do the job of a governor even if he is not found guilty.

Because if he is found guilty of all the things he is accused of he may spend more time in jail than in the Governors office if elected. Also he may spend more time fighting his legal battles then actually do the job of a governor even if he is not found guilty.

yeah that's what the commercials tell me but i learned a long time ago not to trust political commercials.

yeah that's what the commercials tell me but i learned a long time ago not to trust political commercials.

Regardless of the commercial he is in debt, he was under investigation by the feds for ethics violations but quit his job before they could investigate. Why even bother with a guy that has that many question marks for scandal before he is even elected?

Edited by SYD

Regardless of the commercial he is in debt, he was under investigation by the feds for ethics violations but quit his job before they could investigate. Why even bother with a guy that has that many question marks for scandal before he is even elected?

i get the separate ethics issues but i was specifically asking why it was important that he is in debt.

i get the separate ethics issues but i was specifically asking why it was important that he is in debt.

In and of itself it is probably not, but when you add the total amount of issues Deal is having being in debt + ethics issues = not good news. That and the fact if a man can't balance his own budget how is he supposed to balance the states budget?

I live in Alabama so I do not know the details. I would want to know more about the kind of debt that he has before I could judge. There are many great business leaders who like a significant amount of debt as a shelter. Also in many cases it takes money to make money.

I live in Alabama so I do not know the details. I would want to know more about the kind of debt that he has before I could judge. There are many great business leaders who like a significant amount of debt as a shelter. Also in many cases it takes money to make money.

Basically, he was a co signer (guarantor) on a large loan on behalf of his daughter and son in law's outdoor sporting good store near Gainesville. The business, of course, failed with the economic downturn and the opening of Bass Pro and he is left holding the bag.

Basically, he was a co signer (guarantor) on a large loan on behalf of his daughter and son in law's outdoor sporting good store near Gainesville. The business, of course, failed with the economic downturn and the opening of Bass Pro and he is left holding the bag.

That is just unfortunate circumstances. One can make a case that it is never good business to co-sign but who would not help their daughter with a business venture.

That is just unfortunate circumstances. One can make a case that it is never good business to co-sign but who would not help their daughter with a business venture.

If he liquidates and makes good on the note, then that would actually hurt Roy Barnes. He isn't insolvent. Also, we are such a Republican state that it likely won't matter in the outcome.

But he also has another debt from a business venture he partnered in. His total indebtedness totals over $5M. The issue beyond the money owed is whether or not he has been forthcoming in his efforts to retire the debt or if he has tried less than ethical means.

If he liquidates and makes good on the note, then that would actually hurt Roy Barnes. He isn't insolvent. Also, we are such a Republican state that it likely won't matter in the outcome.

Except that the question was posed and answered about the possible outcome here. If Deal is found to be less than ethical, if not criminally liable, he can be removed from the ballot, but the deadline has passed so that no one else could enter the race.

And, I don't have facts, but I believe that Perdue is the first Rep. Gov. in GA in quite a while.

Edited by rightsaidfred