Chargers drafted Phillip Rivers 2 seasons after Drew Brees

Dem Birds

And that was a mistake. Drew Brees looked worse than Matt Ryan has looked his first 2 season and the Chargers made the mistake of not giving him the time and spent a first round pick on a new QB. They then let him go to New Orleans where he became a Super Bowl winning QB. I'm thinking maybe the Chargers have a little bit of regret, even though Rivers has become a very good QB.

Matt suffers from those high expectations of his rookie season, but he is on track to be a great NFL QB. Our staff won't make the mistake of not letting him fully blossum before they decide he's not the guy.

I know most of us realize this, but for the few of you that don't get it, just keep it in mind. 2 seasons does not a career make. Even Rodgers sat on the bench for 3 seasons.

Edit: Since I can't edit the titles, I'll correct it here, it was 3 seasons when they drafted Rivers.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Drew didn't play his first season(2001). Also, the season before Brees was drafted (2000)San Diego was 1-15, and 5-11 in 2001. Hardly the ideal situation for Brees to come into and light it up for the 2002 season. ;)

And I seriously doubt Brees would have won a Super Bowl in San Diego nor would he have been putting up those numbers.

People forget his shoulder was suspect at the time they traded him also. I think both teams have franchise QB's now, only one has better coaches and surrounding players.

Drew didn't play his first season(2001). Also, the season before Brees was drafted (2000)San Diego was 1-15, and 5-11 in 2001. Hardly the ideal situation for Brees to come into and light it up for the 2002 season. ;)

Yep, the Chargers, Falcons, and Browns in those times were not ideal teams for QB's. Bad lines, bad WR's, quality RB's, was pretty much what you got from those teams. The defense were average at best and the offense were horrid at times. The Browns had a little success with Couch, the Chargers had no success with Brees till his 4th season and Vick was an one man show for several years in Atlanta. Those teams were nothing like the bad teams today. The ones today are a couple players away and mainly bad at QB. The teams in those days were bad.

And I seriously doubt Brees would have won a Super Bowl in San Diego nor would he have been putting up those numbers.

People forget his shoulder was suspect at the time they traded him also. I think both teams have franchise QB's now, only one has better coaches and surrounding players.

Not saying he would have won a SB either, but go look at what he accomplished at Purdue and tell me honestly he should have been drafted the second QB overall behind Mike Vick.

Ryan came into a MUCH worse situation.

New Gm, New Head coach, new coaching staff, new running back, not to mention the media freak show that was around the falcons at the time, I mean he was getting asked questions about vick and Petrino and he was not even here.

Brees was drafted same year as LT who went on to be one of the best backs of the decade and was at his peak while Brees was there.

Drew actually came in in November of his rookie season and played well. Threw for 221 yards and a TD and no INT's. Either way, the point of the original post was that the Chargers gave up on him too soon. And a second round pick is still a very valuable pick.

Drew Brees came into a horrible situation and was the scapegoat for a lot of bad decisions the Chargers made. He had one year where he even threw more INT's than TD's, and was benched more than once. What people forget as well is that McKay tried to trade for Brees before the 2004 draft but they couldn't agree on compensation. What might have been....

Ryan came into a MUCH worse situation.

New Gm, New Head coach, new coaching staff, new running back, not to mention the media freak show that was around the falcons at the time, I mean he was getting asked questions about vick and Petrino and he was not even here.

Brees was drafted same year as LT who went on to be one of the best backs of the decade and was at his peak while Brees was there.

The Falcons already went through the rebuilding process when we had Vick. We had new lineman, young WR's and we signed a top RB the year we drafted Ryan. When Ryan came in, he already had the players in place, he just needed to lead and manage the game for us. We were nothing like San Diego or even Atlanta at the time which was sorry and the players outside of Vick was on the decline. Remember, McCord, Jefferson, Dez White, Trevor Gaylor, Bob "cotton-eye" Whitfield, a young Greg Garza, and some other linemen not worth mentioning.

San Diego wasn't much better if not worst. No WR's, horrible linemen, in fact LT was the best thing that happen and he couldn't do it himself. He was great with Brees and Rivers till the last couple of years. We can talk about RB's but wasn't the Titans 0-6 with CJ having monster games. Turner also does like LT, have great games v. poor to good defenses but is poor v. very good to elite defenses.

Edited by #1 pick

Bottom line is the team Drew Brees was asked to commandeer sucked azz.

Yeah, poor Brees - having to deal with having a sucky RB like LaDanian Tomlinson in his prime, Lorenzo Neal in his prime, the best OL in the league nearly - and that noname tight end - Antonio Gates. Poor fella!

poor, poor Brees.