I need some information on proxy servers if anyone can help me

Xnex

I'm not sure exactly how to go about using a proxy server, and I really do not know if I can use one to accomplish what I'm trying to do. The South Carolina game this weekend is listed as an option on ESPN3.com this weekend, but for people in SC and maybe even some areas outside of SC the only way to see it is via PPV. I guess ESPN3. com would have to honor programming restrictions set forth by local cable companies in order to get the cable companies to allow internet customers access to the espn3 site.

Can I use a proxy server to get the espn3 site to think I'm from a different region of the country in order to be allowed to view the game via the internet? Hopefully I am not breaking any sacred rule of this site by asking this question. All help will be appreciated. Thanks

In theory that would work. There are many different ways to use a proxy server. You might try that link pro listed. Another thing you could do it try to find a website that you could log into which would allow you to operate from their IP, and launch the site from there (which is a proxy server). Sorry I can't be more specific. I'm more use to setting up proxy servers than actually using them. The life of a linux admin. Also, there are some thing I don't know here which would affect the outcome. I'm curious though, why would the SC game be only on PPV in SC? That seems kind of ridiculous.

In theory that would work. There are many different ways to use a proxy server. You might try that link pro listed. Another thing you could do it try to find a website that you could log into which would allow you to operate from their IP, and launch the site from there (which is a proxy server). Sorry I can't be more specific. I'm more use to setting up proxy servers than actually using them. The life of a linux admin. Also, there are some thing I don't know here which would affect the outcome. I'm curious though, why would the SC game be only on PPV in SC? That seems kind of ridiculous.

I guess it's to make sure they can sell as many tickets as possible, while also generating income for the university. Since it's not a big enough game to be televised, the university has offered it on pay per view through local cable companies. But people outside of our area would not be able to even buy the PPV, so ESPN3 is offering it as one of their options.

Also thanks to you as well as Pro for the assistance.

well first you gotta set up an espn account connected to your provider that provides the espn3 service. this is so you can allow remote access on that account. if you dont do that you wont be able to watch it, unless that proxy is using a provider from the allowed providers.

for proxy i use a site called hotspot shield. it is a VPN. down load the program, then connect and BLOOM( RIP Pap Neck) you are hidden.