Run First?

GreenFire

This "Run First" approach we have been taking the last three years was great in 2008, albeit with bad run defenses. But with Ryan now maturing, I think we must not only go from a balanced offense but to a pass first offense. We still need to run effectively, which we failed to do against Pittsburgh, but I would like to see a full game where rather than trying to bulldoze over defenses, we try to catch them off guard with runs. The run playcalls were so predictable against Pittsburgh. Let's mix it up on first down. We didn't run play action often enough, especially with the way we ran on 1st and 10.

This "Run First" approach we have been taking the last three years was great in 2008, albeit with bad run defenses. But with Ryan now maturing, I think we must not only go from a balanced offense but to a pass first offense. We still need to run effectively, which we failed to do against Pittsburgh, but I would like to see a full game where rather than trying to bulldoze over defenses, we try to catch them off guard with runs. The run playcalls were so predictable against Pittsburgh. Let's mix it up on first down. We didn't run play action often enough, especially with the way we ran on 1st and 10.

Running with one feature back is becoming outdated in the NFL.

I've said this for awhile now, but the only teams who win running first are monster defenses. Ravens, Bucs, etc. would be the perfect example and Brandon Jacobs was piggy backing the Giants for a good part of their Super Bowl season. The teams that win now are passing teams that run for balance and easy yards when the defense loosens up. It's been that way in the NFL for long time now, honestly.

I think we should find our identity. Smith wants to pound the ball, but we really don't have athletic guards that can pull and get it done. I rarely see our gaurds pull. It doesn't help we're predictible. Line up 2 TE and an extra OL is definitely a sign of running he ball. What's worse is even though you have all these guys on feild, they aren't opening holes for the RB. Once we can control the line of scrimmage, then we can determine whether to run or pass.

Its hard to fault 'run first' when the game ended with only 23 handoffs and 44 passing attempts. A number of those runs happened later in the game but even then when it appeared that they were mixing in some runs with the passing, the running game was held in check. The offense has on its own had some problems getting in rhythm, and a good defense is only going to make things more difficult to get anything going, especially play action which depends on a good run game to be effective.