Falcons 1.5 games behind in last chance to win Superbowl

Mr. Right

Year 1: 11-5 and playoff birth.

Year 2: First back to back winning season in franchise history.

Year 3: Superbowl Championship

A plan like this is much easier said than done, and unfortunately carrying out this exact plan may be the only way for our coaches to retain their jobs.

The good news? They have already accomplished year 1 and year 2.

The bad news? Well...

We all know that the best chance for the Atlanta Falcons to win the Superbowl is this year. An easy schedule, Ryan entering his third and break out year, revamped defense, plethora of weapons on offense including Tony Gonzalez, etc... But if you look a little deeper, you'd see that this sort of 'perfect storm' is rare in franchise history. We've never had a winning combination quite like the Falcons this year.

So what does that mean? The Falcons are expected to and must win the Superbowl this year.

But it's not the failure to win the Superbowl the reason why our coaches are on the hot seat. If you look at Falcons roster, you will see that we are only built to win this year. Tony Gonzalez was signed under the premise that he will win his first playoff game with us. Now, in his second and final year and approaching 35, he has yet to accomplish this goal. You can bet that after this year if we do not win the big one, he will either retire or move to a team that will definitely allow him to win the Superbowl.

Without Gonzalez, our already struggling offense will become anemic with Roddy White being the only playmaker in our passing offense. The reason Jenkins starts is because of a lack of a true number 2 WR (and the fact he can run block). Harry Douglas has yet to prove he can stay healthy and be a deep threat. One dimensional Michael Turner is no threat during passing downs. Norwood is underused and when used properly gets injured. Snelling is a replica of Turner. Our front office's reluctance to sign big name Free Agents and belief in building through the draft will not get this fixed. And even if we were to look towards the FA for a playmaker, Miles Austin is the biggest and only name and will surely be signed by Jerry Jones' deep pockets.

To make things worse, Turner will be 29 next year - the age RBs start to decline in production. Our refusal of implementing a committee system by using Snelling, who proved he can run the ball last year will definitely not help Turner become some sort of ageless wonder.

Finally on defense, John Abraham will approach 33. While Kroy Biermann will be a decent replacement, he will not have the needed help on the other side. The same problem that plagued Abraham will plague Biermann as we see once again see a talented pass rusher get nullified as he gets double teamed by offensive lines.

The Falcons will soon need to draft another WR - who'll take 2-3 years to develop and eventually a RB to replace Turner.

As a result, if we do not win the Superbowl this year, the Falcons will not see another good chance to win in the near future. So many teams hover around the 6-10 to 10-6 record but do not make it to the Superbowl year after year. Just think the recent Cowboys or Redskins.

The Falcons may be doomed to follow in those footsteps. In the end, the Falcons start rebuilding again as we watch Ryan approach his 30s.

Edit: Supposed to be 1 game back, my mistake.

Edited by Mr. Right

A plan like this is much easier said than done, and unfortunately carrying out this exact plan may be the only way for our coaches to retain their jobs.

The bad news? Well...

We all know that the best chance for the Atlanta Falcons to win the Superbowl is this year. An easy schedule, Ryan entering his third and break out year, revamped defense, plethora of weapons on offense including Tony Gonzalez, etc... But if you look a little deeper, you'd see that this sort of 'perfect storm' is rare in franchise history. We've never had a winning combination quite like the Falcons this year.

So what does that mean? The Falcons are expected to and must win the Superbowl this year.

But it's not the failure to win the Superbowl the reason why our coaches are on the hot seat. If you look at Falcons roster, you will see that we are only built to win this year. Tony Gonzalez was signed under the premise that he will win his first playoff game with us. Now, in his second and final year and approaching 35, you can bet that after this year if we do not win the big one, he will either retire or move to a team that will definitely allow him to win the Superbowl.

Without Gonzalez, our already struggling offense will become anemic with Roddy White being the only playmaker in our passing offense. The reason Jenkins starts is because of a lack of a true number 2 WR (and the fact he can run block). Harry Douglas has yet to prove he can stay healthy and be a deep threat. One dimensional Michael Turner is no threat during passing downs. Norwood is underused and when used properly gets injured. Snelling is a replica of Turner. Our front office's reluctance to sign big name Free Agents and belief in building through the draft will not get this fixed. And even if we were to look towards the FA for a playmaker, Miles Austin is the biggest name and will surely be signed by Jerry Jones' deep pockets.

To make things worse, Turner will be 29 next year - the age RBs start to decline in production. Our refusal of implementing a committee system by using Snelling, who proved he can run the ball last year will definitely not help Turner become some sort of ageless wonder.

Finally on defense, John Abraham will approach 33. While Kroy Biermann will be a decent replacement, he will not have the needed help on the other side. The same problem that plagued Abraham will plague Biermann as we see once again see a talented pass rusher get nullified as he gets double teamed by offensive lines.

The Falcons will soon need to draft another WR - who'll take 2-3 years to develop and eventually a RB to replace Turner.

In the end, the Falcons start rebuilding again as we watch Ryan approach his 30s.

Where are you getting information that our coach is on the hot seat? and you know we are only ONE game into the season right?

Edited by Red Death D

The bad news? Well...

But it's not the failure to win the Superbowl the reason why our coaches are on the hot seat. If you look at Falcons roster, you will see that we are only built to win this year. Tony Gonzalez was signed under the premise that he will win his first playoff game with us. Now, in his second and final year and approaching 35, you can bet that after this year if we do not win the big one, he will either retire or move to a team that will definitely allow him to win the Superbowl.

Without Gonzalez, our already struggling offense will become anemic with Roddy White being the only playmaker in our passing offense. The reason Jenkins starts is because of a lack of a true number 2 WR (and the fact he can run block). Harry Douglas has yet to prove he can stay healthy and be a deep threat. One dimensional Michael Turner is no threat during passing downs. Norwood is underused and when used properly gets injured. Snelling is a replica of Turner. Our front office's reluctance to sign big name Free Agents and belief in building through the draft will not get this fixed. And even if we were to look towards the FA for a playmaker, Miles Austin is the biggest name and will surely be signed by Jerry Jones' deep pockets.

As a result, if we do not win the Superbowl this year, the Falcons will not see another good chance to win in the near future. So many teams hover around the 6-10 to 10-6 record but do not make it to the Superbowl year after year. Just think the recent Cowboys or Redskins.

The Falcons may be doomed to follow in those footsteps. In the end, the Falcons start rebuilding again as we watch Ryan approach his 30s.

Next year is the fruit bearing year....

How in the world is Smith on the hot seat? That doesn't make any sense. Also, how are we 1.5 games back? Going by basic math, only one game has been played, all teams have only played one game, and there haven't been any ties. That would mean we are only 1 game back, unless you are using some theoretical math that doesn't actually apply to anything.

Look..........one can analyze till the cows come home, use all the fancy computer "models" to predict all the possible ways the Falcons will win a Super Bowl but ONE real TRUTH exists and will never go away, not with the current roster and/or coaching staff :

The Falcons will NEVER.........EVER beat a QUALITY Top 3 or 4 team on the road.

It just ain't gonna happen.

The TRUTH indeed hurts.

How in the world is Smith on the hot seat? That doesn't make any sense. Also, how are we 1.5 games back? Going by basic math, only one game has been played, all teams have only played one game, and there haven't been any ties. That would mean we are only 1 game back, unless you are using some theoretical math that doesn't actually apply to anything.

You're right, my mistake.

Look..........one can analyze till the cows come home, use all the fancy computer "models" to predict all the possible ways the Falcons will win a Super Bowl but ONE real TRUTH exists and will never go away, not with the current roster and/or coaching staff :

The Falcons will NEVER.........EVER beat a QUALITY Top 3 or 4 team on the road.

It just ain't gonna happen.

The TRUTH indeed hurts.

Pathetic should we bump this after next week at the dome or will you already be in different colors??

Edited by HashMark

The bad news? Well...

But it's not the failure to win the Superbowl the reason why our coaches are on the hot seat. If you look at Falcons roster, you will see that we are only built to win this year. Tony Gonzalez was signed under the premise that he will win his first playoff game with us. Now, in his second and final year and approaching 35, he has yet to accomplish this goal. You can bet that after this year if we do not win the big one, he will either retire or move to a team that will definitely allow him to win the Superbowl.

Without Gonzalez, our already struggling offense will become anemic with Roddy White being the only playmaker in our passing offense. The reason Jenkins starts is because of a lack of a true number 2 WR (and the fact he can run block). Harry Douglas has yet to prove he can stay healthy and be a deep threat. One dimensional Michael Turner is no threat during passing downs. Norwood is underused and when used properly gets injured. Snelling is a replica of Turner. Our front office's reluctance to sign big name Free Agents and belief in building through the draft will not get this fixed. And even if we were to look towards the FA for a playmaker, Miles Austin is the biggest and only name and will surely be signed by Jerry Jones' deep pockets.

Edit: Supposed to be 1 game back, my mistake.

The mistake was posting that trash.

Pathetic should we bump this after next week at the dome or will you already be in different colors??

I'm sorry, but I gotta side with SF on this one. I can't overlook our lackluster preseason performance and our below average performance against a JV QB. I feel it's almost a given that we lose against marquis teams. It seems as though this organization has been cursed with the inability to acquire quality talent and overmarket the averge talent that they do acquire. We always seem to have excuses. We always look bad against good teams. The Saints have been just as bad, if not worse, than we've been over the decades; so tell me why do we look like a pee-wee league every time we play them, as well as any other quality team? We can't beat teams like the Ravens, the Steelers (with Ben), the Saints, the Packers, etc. I just feel like this organization is regressing back to the "comforts" of mediocrity. My parents, who are both approaching their 70's stuck with them faithfully since '66, but they just got tired. I'm not there yet, but this organization's perception of "good" is just not good enough.

The Saints have been just as bad, if not worse, than we've been over the decades; so tell me why do we look like a pee-wee league every time we play them, as well as any other quality team?

Do you actually watch any Falcons games? I guess not, after all, facts like that we played last year's Super Bowl champions tough both times would get in the way of your zeal to whine and bicker. You sniveling dolt.

Do you actually watch any Falcons games? I guess not, after all, facts like that we played last year's Super Bowl champions tough both times would get in the way of your zeal to whine and bicker. You sniveling dolt.

No need for name calling. This is an open forum full of Falcons' fans who have varying opinions. Moral victories do not put Lombardi trophies in the case. You cannot almost win. I watched the games last year, but we lost both. I don't know you, but I do question your maturity. I look forward to healthy, objective dialogue from my other fellow Falcons' fans.

A very doom and gloom prognosis. We're actually a young team. You are perhaps right with your concerns with WR and RB, and who knows how this year will turn out...but if we do indeed make the playoffs...maybe as a wild card (and my hope is that we win at least one playoff game)...I have a hunch we will draft a first-round "luxury" pick on the best talent out there with RB or WR (Remember that Chris Johnson was a late first round pick...just one of those..and we're set) We may pick up a sleeper RB in the second round. Who knows? There are a lot of holes to fill, but that's true of every team in the NFL these days.

Mike Smith will be in trouble if he coaches us to a losing record without the excuse of major injuries to Turner or Ryan or White. They'll give him one more year otherwise. I could be wrong, but I like the notion of stability with us as far as coaching. All the great perennial playoff teams have this. That said, the big gamble for us is on Ryan. If he's just a mediocre game manager like some posters contend...we're bound to be average for the next 4 or 5 years. I don't agree with them, but we shall see.