Should Coach Smith Have Gone For It, 4th & 1 @ the 5?

Should Coach Smith Have Gone For It, 4th & 1 @ the 5?  

122 members have voted

1. 1. Should Coach Smith Have Gone For It, 4th & 1 @ the 5?

• Yes, he should have gone for it.
    • No, he made the right decision with the FG and the points.
    • I just can't decide!

If I had a crystal ball that would tell me we made it - then I would say yes.

If he went for it and we didn't get it - then he'd have made a bad decision. With the way the O was scoring - we likely would not have even needed to go into overtime. Game would have been over at that point.

If he went for it and we did get it - then he'd have been brilliant.

Either way, we'll never know and it's hindsight.

It's always easy to judge a decision after the fact. I would have went for it, but hey - I'd go for any 4th down and short from the 50 yard line on. That doesn't mean it would be the right move. I don't know how many times I'd be a hero and how many times I'd be a fool - but that's just my emotional state - GO FOR IT!!! Anytime!

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot of debate going on about this. Y'all vote and state your case!

I think you know my vote by now! wink.gif

The timing and circumstances were ideal for him going for it on 4th down. The upside for doing so and making it was tremendous; the downside for doing so and not making it was worth the risk. We would still need to get the ball back either way if he kicks the field goal or tries and not make it!

A coach should always do what puts his team in the best situation to win. Kicking the field goal did that. Our D had been good against them all day. Their QB had been making mistakes and their running game was not hurting us (until the last play) and most importantly their D was stopping us. Kick for the points and then force them to make a mistake or get a big play ourselves to win the game.

Smitty was dead on with that call. Yeah, if we had gotten the first down it would have been big, but if we had gotten the first down we would have still been behind by three points.

It is a lose-lose situation. Some things to consider.

1. If we kick the FG, tie it, then win the game, everyone is okay with the call.

2. If we go for it, and we get stopped, everyone flips out.

3. Our offense was not doing very well at all against the Steelers defense. We couldn't run it, and the guys we would look to most in that situation would be blanketed by their D(namely Tony and White).

4. Our defense was doing a good job of giving us good field position and stopping thier offense. In fact, we did stop them after the FG in a huge way.

My conclusion? It is a pointless debate, because it seemed fine at the time, and we are only questioning it because we lost.

It is a lose-lose situation. Some things to consider.

1. If we kick the FG, tie it, then win the game, everyone is okay with the call.

2. If we go for it, and we get stopped, everyone flips out.

3. Our offense was not doing very well at all against the Steelers defense. We couldn't run it, and the guys we would look to most in that situation would be blanketed by their D(namely Tony and White).

4. Our defense was doing a good job of giving us good field position and stopping thier offense. In fact, we did stop them after the FG in a huge way.

My conclusion? It is a pointless debate, because it seemed fine at the time, and we are only questioning it because we lost.

I agree with this wholeheartedly. So many posters here apparently feel that the game was lost at that point. In fact, the game was extended at that point. If anyone needs to pick a play where the game was lost, it should be Sam Baker's holding penalty in the first OT possession. Or if that one doesn't work for you, how about BVG's decision to put nine in the box on the Steelers first OT play. The defense still had fifteen to twenty yards of cushion on Jeff Reed's field goal range - stacking the box on that down was perhaps the worst coaching decision of the game.

Edited by JOEinPHX

A lot of debate going on about this. Y'all vote and state your case!

Coach Smith has never backed down from a 4th down---he is gutsy and a go getter---I can only say that giving Pittsburgh had shut our run down for most of the game helped make this decision---haven said that, he would have gone for it last year when were building this team and I guess he thought this have been a disaster to get stopped and lose in regulation.

Edited by Nono

3. Except on that drive we were moving the ball and in place to score. If we want to be considered an elite team we need to be able to get 1.5 yards on 4th down late in the 4th quarter. No excuses.

4. Our D would have been energized had we been stopped. They would have gone out there and stopped the Steelers inside their own 5. Heck with the way Dixon runs around maybe we could have gotten a safety, though you can't predict those things. Either way we have got to try to win. Not try to not lose.

As I sais elsewhere, I was fine with this, not fine with running out the last 40 seconds to play for overtime after we lost a game last year in OT because we lost the coin toss.

Plus Ryan won a game in 13 seconds in 2008. Coach needs to Rise Up and play to win in regulation.

I agree but we don't have any plays to move the ball in that time frame. We would have to throw the ball 20+ yards.

Because that's not correct. There was 3:24 still on the clock. If we don't get the first down then they get the ball at the 5. Pinned that deep, they would play very conservative where we probably would have stopped them on a 3 and out or maybe even get a turnover. Add in that we had 2 timeouts to use as well. Given that we almost would have certainly gotten great field position to get a second crack at the end zone or worse case scenario, kick the field goal to tie at the end of regulation when you really don't have a choice.

When you're on the road you play to win, at home you play for the tie...

You nailed it!

I agree with this wholeheartedly. So many posters here apparently feel that the game was lost at that point. In fact, the game was extended at that point. If anyone needs to pick a play where the game was lost, it should be Sam Baker's holding penalty in the first OT possession. Or if that one doesn't work for you, how about BVG's decision to put nine in the box on the Steelers first OT play. The defense still had fifteen to twenty yards of cushion on Jeff Reed's field goal range - stacking the box on that down was perhaps the worst coaching decision of the game.

completely agree. The game was not over when we kicked the FG. There was still 3:24 left to play in the game. We DID get the ball back with a chance (and time) to win the game. The FG was a no-brainer. It's not about being brave enough to go for it, it's about being smart enough to know you do not have to.

He showed complete confidence in our D believing that they would stop Pittsburgh and give us the ball back with a chance to win the game, which they did. All we needed at that point was a FG to win, not tie. I really cannot believe that so many people on these boards would have been "ok" with the call if the game played out the way it did (D stopping Pitt & us throwing the INT) with us losing 9-6. People are kidding themselves if they think that they would have been ok with it & that it was the way to go.

Your coach didn't have faith in something that prompted his decision. Was it lack of faith in your defense to stop the 3rd stringer led offense to drive the length of the field for a game winner, or was it the lack of faith in your offense to be able to make that pivotal 1 yd for the first down? The answer is he lacked faith in your offense and took the high percentage points while he could get them.

When Payton decided to do the onside kick in the Superbowl and his team got it suddenly he was a genius. If they didn't get the ball he would have gone down as an arrogant fool. Sounds great when everything works out but I've witnessed too many occasions where it didn't and all these people screaming make a gutsy call are no where to be found afterwards.

Payton has the offensive fire power to move the football quickly down the field thus why both offense and defense are chance takers. Even if Saints didn't recover the onside and Colts score, who really thinks that Saints offense couldn't make up for it quickly? Same thing with the fourth and goal call to go for it... was that a bone headed call the way things turned out?

We lost a game we could have won. Granted it didn't happen because of one decision or one play but we were sniffing the endzone. What is the worst that could have happened? Ryan threw an interception that was returned for a TD, who cares? A loss is a loss regardless of how many points are involved.

Smitty needs to get in a regular card game and learn there are times you have to make the riskier gamble to win.