Jump to content

K-Rod facing more charges


Unknøwn
 Share

Recommended Posts

NEW YORK -- Mets closer Francisco Rodriguez violated a restraining order by sending dozens of text messages to his girlfriend in the weeks after he was accused of assaulting her father outside a family lounge at Citi Field and will face additional charges, prosecutors said Tuesday.

Rodriguez appeared for a routine hearing in Queens Criminal Court on third-degree assault and harassment charges, and will face additional charges of criminal contempt for sending the messages.

Authorities said Rodriguez sent his girlfriend 56 text messages from Aug. 19 to Sept 7 apologizing and urging a resolution. They said he'll now be charged with criminal contempt.

A spokesman for the District Attorney's office said Rodriguez will be arrested and rearraigned on the new charges sometime before his next court appearance, which is scheduled for Oct. 7.

One of the texts to Daian Pena, Rodriguez's girlfriend and mother of his children, read: "let's find a solution to this conflict. I understand I made a mistake perhaps the biggest mistake of my life but I love you."

More texts: "your parents are manipulating you like a marianette [sic]" and "your parents have what they have because of me."

Pena never responded to the messages.

Prosecutors requested that Rodriguez be remanded but Judge Robert Raciti denied the prosecution's motion. Raciti warned Rodriguez that he would honor it if he tried to communicate again with Pena.

Prosecutors say Rodriguez left the country and went to Venezuela on Aug. 30. He sent 19 messages from August 30 to Sept 13.

Christopher Booth, Rodriguez's attorney, seemed to question why there would be an order of protection for Pena when he said in court, "She was not the victim in this case."

Of the text messages, Booth noted "there are no threats, there are no menacing comments. He professes his love for the mother of his children."

Booth was pleased with the judge's decision after prosecutors tried to have his client put in jail.

"That's what they tried to do," Booth said after the court hearing. "And we successfully kept him out of there."

Booth said his client was unclear that he wasn't supposed to try and resolve the conflict with Pena alone, and that he was told of the problem and corrected it. He said he set up a meeting to see his children -- whose birthday is Tuesday -- through the attorneys.

Rodriguez, who did not speak in court, was dressed in a red T-shirt and blue jeans. He did not comment while walking from the courthouse to a parking lot two blocks away. He left in a black Toyota Sequoai with Booth and an unidentified woman, who also accompanied Rodriguez in the court room.

The 28-year-old reliever was accused of grabbing 53-year-old Carlos Pena, hauling him into a tunnel near the family lounge beneath the team's new ball park and hitting him in the face. Pena was taken to a hospital with a scrape and swelling above his eyebrow, and Rodriguez was held by authorities.

After he was restricted without pay for two days, the four-time All-Star known as K-Rod was booed when he returned to the mound, and he gave a lengthy apology to fans after that game. But he tore a ligament in his thumb of his pitching hand during the altercation, and had to have surgery. He didn't play again.

There was no cast or wrap on his hand Tuesday.

Rodriguez is 4-2 with 25 saves and a 2.24 ERA this season.

The Mets have said Rodriguez won't be paid while on the disqualified list and they would exercise a contractual right to convert the rest of his $37 million, three-year deal to non-guaranteed, meaning they could try to avoid paying most of what's left on it.

By going on the disqualified list, Rodriguez will lose $3 million of his $11.5 million salary this year. Added to the $125,683 he lost when the Mets put him on the restricted list for two days last week, the altercation already has cost him about $3.1 million.

In addition, by converting his contract to non-guaranteed, the Mets gave themselves the ability to release Rodriguez in the early part of spring training next year for 30 days' termination pay.

The players' union filed a grievance against the Mets and the commissioner's office protesting how the team has handled the Rodriguez case. The Major League Baseball Players Association challenged the decision to place the right-handed closer on the disqualified list and their effort to convert his contract.

If the case isn't settled, arbitrator Shyam Das would decide whether the team's actions were justified. The case is still pending.

Rodriguez signed the contract with the Mets after saving a record 62 games with the Angels in 2008.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...