Why was coach smith hired?

crankdatfalcon

This is not a bash thread, i just wonder if he was hired for his "defensive" mind. If he was, why??? Its not like he's coaching the defense or has his input or calls plays for the defense. Watching rex ryan last night, he has command of that defense. So yes i can see why the jets hired him. Im sure coach fires the defense up, but what actual input does he have as far as calling plays and drawing up schemes???

he was hired for the reason you hire any head coach.

He is a great leader of men. he motivates them. they buy into his philosophy and are willing to go out there and sacrifice themselves for him!

that aspect of Mike Smith is a big reason many consider him one of the best (if not the best) up and comer coaches in the NFL!

I am sure he has a hand in the defensive scheme, just the D-cord calls the plays on gameday, which is the norm.

This is not a bash thread, i just wonder if he was hired for his "defensive" mind. If he was, why??? Its not like he's coaching the defense or has his input or calls plays for the defense. Watching rex ryan last night, he has command of that defense. So yes i can see why the jets hired him. Im sure coach fires the defense up, but what actual input does he have as far as calling plays and drawing up schemes???

Probably because of situations like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BI0uJZqr9Us

he was hired for the reason you hire any head coach.

He is a great leader of men. he motivates them. they buy into his philosophy and are willing to go out there and sacrifice themselves for him!

that aspect of Mike Smith is a big reason many consider him one of the best (if not the best) up and comer coaches in the NFL!

I am sure he has a hand in the defensive scheme, just the D-cord calls the plays on gameday, which is the norm.

but when you are a defensive minded coach, not saying its out of the odinary to call plays but he had a bomb defense in jacksonville so why not call the plays here???? Rex ryan is a defensive minded coach, he calls plays for his defense, sean peyton is a offensive minded coach, he calls plays for the offense, josh mcdaniels is offensive minded, calls plays for his offense. I dont get if you came from a successful program and you were the head of that program, why not continue that trend along with being the head coach???

Coach is a leader, plain and simple. He has shown that he has organizational skills and a passion for the game.

To be fair, Rex Ryan is also why the Jets lost last night. The guy didn't learn from his mistakes and kept calling the same blitz on the many times they got the Ravens in 3rd and forever (if we had a Revis, we'd probably do so as well.) That left his CBs in one-on-one coverage and they got called each time for pass interference which bailed out the Ravens offense and led to their eventual defeat.

but when you are a defensive minded coach, not saying its out of the odinary to call plays but he had a bomb defense in jacksonville so why not call the plays here???? Rex ryan is a defensive minded coach, he calls plays for his defense, sean peyton is a offensive minded coach, he calls plays for the offense, josh mcdaniels is offensive minded, calls plays for his offense. I dont get if you came from a successful program and you were the head of that program, why not continue that trend along with being the head coach???

he has alot of faith in his staff. like i said, he implemented HIS scheme from Jacksonville. He has a history with BVG, and trust him to make the calls on gameday. Most coaches do that if they have competant coordinators.

Thats my worry w MM. If he isnt trusted, Smith cant take over calling plays. If BVG gets demoted Smith knows the defense in and out, since it is his scheme.

Its not like Smith came in here and just let BVG do his own thing. THink of Smith as the company Pres and BVG as a department manager. BVG reports to Smith, and is there to implement Smith's policies.

You got to realize what he inherited here on D ......you got to realize how young and inexperienced our defense is ....me, I wanted Singletary when we hired Pigtrino. I was pizzed when we hired Smith, but now I know why we did ...I think this year the defense really starts to jell .....the whole key to Van Gorders defenses is always front four pressure ....we are starting to get some ...sit back in wonder and watch this young D come alive before your very eyes this year .......DeCoud, Lofton, Spoon, Owens, Beerman, Peters, Jerry, Sidbury, .......this is a great young foundation, and if Moore pans out, even better ...believe it ...it's coming .......

You got to realize what he inherited here on D ......you got to realize how young and inexperienced our defense is ....me, I wanted Singletary when we hired Pigtrino. I was pizzed when we hired Smith, but now I know why we did ...I think this year the defense really starts to jell .....the whole key to Van Gorders defenses is always front four pressure ....we are starting to get some ...sit back in wonder and watch this young D come alive before your very eyes this year .......DeCoud, Lofton, Spoon, Owens, Beerman, Peters, Jerry, Sidbury, .......this is a great young foundation, and if Moore pans out, even better ...believe it ...it's coming .......

IMO, our defense looked great Sunday. one pass play and one run play. Besides that, they were lights out.

Just happens those plays came at the wrong time.

You can blame a defense for the loss when the opponent only gets 9 points in 60 minutes! Especially not with 3 sacks and a turnover.

One reason I like most of your posts,don't think you are bashing,just asking. I think the Falcons interviewed Ryan before they hired Smith,so for some reason they didn't go with him. So far I have no problem with Mike Smith,the players seem to respect him and obviously after Petrino and Mora he seems sooo much better prepared.That said he is still learning and has to adjust better during a game. I would imagine he is on the same page as Van Gorder defensively after being with Jacksonville together, I don't think he is a defensive master mind,but that also has to do with the players they have on defense. The Falcons are just now getting some decent depth on defense,but the effort is there Babineaux is coming back,so there is at least some reason to be hopeful that the defense will improve the rest of the season. The defense didn't play all that bad,I know they can play better. Mike Smith isn't the problem I don't think.

he has alot of faith in his staff. like i said, he implemented HIS scheme from Jacksonville. He has a history with BVG, and trust him to make the calls on gameday. Most coaches do that if they have competant coordinators.

Thats my worry w MM. If he isnt trusted, Smith cant take over calling plays. If BVG gets demoted Smith knows the defense in and out, since it is his scheme.

Its not like Smith came in here and just let BVG do his own thing. THink of Smith as the company Pres and BVG as a department manager. BVG reports to Smith, and is there to implement Smith's policies.

all that faith in his staff could get him fired like it did for jim mora...mora was a great coach, and maybe or maybe not the comments he made about the washington job got him fired, but i dont think that was the case 100%. Lets remember during mora's first year, we went to the playoffs and lost. First year under smitty, went to the playoffs and lost. See the pattern??????

Edited by crankdatfalcon

all that faith in his staff could get him fired like it did for jim mora...mora was a great coach, and maybe or maybe not the comments he made about the washington job got him fired, but i dont think that was the case 100%. Lets remember during mora's first year, we went to the playoffs and lost. First year under smitty, went to the playoffs and lost. See the pattern??????

Mora had a love fest with Knapp. We'll see if Smitty has the same problem with Mularkey.

One reason I like most of your posts,don't think you are bashing,just asking. I think the Falcons interviewed Ryan before they hired Smith,so for some reason they didn't go with him. So far I have no problem with Mike Smith,the players seem to respect him and obviously after Petrino and Mora he seems sooo much better prepared.That said he is still learning and has to adjust better during a game. I would imagine he is on the same page as Van Gorder defensively after being with Jacksonville together, I don't think he is a defensive master mind,but that also has to do with the players they have on defense. The Falcons are just now getting some decent depth on defense,but the effort is there Babineaux is coming back,so there is at least some reason to be hopeful that the defense will improve the rest of the season. The defense didn't play all that bad,I know they can play better. Mike Smith isn't the problem I don't think.

yea i know smitty isnt the problem, heck i love the guy. I like his intensity and the way he sticks up for his players, but i was just wondering why he doesnt have alot more involved with the defense knowing his background.

a lot of times the HC doesn't call the actual plays for whatever respective side he shines on. he probably helps draw up the schemes with BVG, but Mike Smith is the type of guy that will give somebody trust until they show they don't deserve it...Brian hasn't had the pieces, it's year 3 in the process with 2 years magnifying defensive improvements, this is probably Brian's proving year right here. part of being the boss is regulating work to the workers under you...some people strive under hard work, some under smart work.

I think Mora's firing came out of the Falcons tanking the season, what, 2 years in a row?

WTF?????????????

Coach Smith first Atlanta Falcons coach to:

1. have back to back winning seasons

2. have the best two year home record

3. have one of the best winning percentages of his first two years

4. take the franchise from what was considered a laughing stock around the league to a team that is considered a top ten best well managed team in the NFL

5. have incorporated new training techiques (MMA) for his defensive linemen that have other teams copying

DO YOU SEE THE FUKING PATTERN HERE?????

If Mora was as great coach like you stated and Smith is at least halfway as good based on your comments we should hire a dumba.s for a coach. Based on your comments then Sean Payton should have been fired, Tony Dungy fired from the Colts, Tom Coughlin from the Giants, the coach from Green Bay and Jeff Fisher from the Titans. These teams ALL lost or didn't make the playoffs the first two years with these coaches.

did you not read my first post as to what the thread is actually about....calm your sensative a@@ down...

you don't think coach smith has input in the defensive calls?

they don't sit around all week playing scrabble. They come up with a plan during the week which coach smith has a huge say in and then he expects van gorder to execute his plan. he isn't over van gorder's shoulder all game b/c they already know what they are going to do.

Lets see Ryan lost first game. Josh lost first game. Sean won first game. Coach smith lost first game. So far he is doing as good or bad depending on how you look at it as 2 of the three you named next.

Coach is a leader, plain and simple. He has shown that he has organizational skills and a passion for the game.

To be fair, Rex Ryan is also why the Jets lost last night. The guy didn't learn from his mistakes and kept calling the same blitz on the many times they got the Ravens in 3rd and forever (if we had a Revis, we'd probably do so as well.) That left his CBs in one-on-one coverage and they got called each time for pass interference which bailed out the Ravens offense and led to their eventual defeat.

Actually, the Jets had a weak spot, Cromartie. They targeted him time after time and they were either rewarded with a penalty or a completion.