Rambo takes ownership

Dawgy

Rambo harsh on himself for 'loafing'

Bacarri Rambo had a game-high 12 tackles against South Carolina on Saturday.

And the Georgia safety can't stop beating himself up.

Rambo was very hard on himself Monday, criticizing his own effort in Saturday's 17-6 loss.

"I was loafing a lot," the sophomore said. "I've just gotta do better, because I've got a lot of guys looking at me as a leader. I've gotta fix myself with that."

Rambo didn't stop there.

"From now on I'm going all-out," Rambo said. "I've gotta give it all I got. I feel like I was holding something back. I left a lot of what I had in the locker room instead of taking it out there with me."

The big topic in defensive meetings the past 48 hours has been tackling, or lack thereof. There were different theories: Rambo said the team wasn't swarming, while senior LB Akeem Dent said the team wasn't wrapping up.

It's a good guess it was a mixture of both. Either, despite being credited with seven solo tackles, Rambo was pinning the blame on the man in the mirror.

"It was just one of those days, I guess. I'm gonna try my days not to have another day like that," Rambo said. "Every dog has their day, I guess Saturday was my day. I just can't let that happen to me again, because it cost us the game."

More from Rambo and other players in Tuesday's papers.

Edited by Dawgy

It's great to see he can admit the issue now he needs to fix it. I still shake my head at his coverage issue with jeffrey. That was an int or at least a knock down if he hadn't quit on that pass play. Gamble had a great interview. Sunday's film session was not very good for the guys. Basically the young guys are being given a chance this week to move up to replace players who continually make mistakes.

A number of young guys/new starters were overwhelmed in their first sec road game. I know someone who talked to Jakar Hamilton and he was sick to his stomach after watching the video of the game. This defense is a work in progress and this was the first SEC game. I am interested to see how they bounce back.

Good to hear. It was so obvious he was "loafing" that he even got called out on it at halftime by the studio crew. I literally laughed out loud at that one. He needs to take ownership of it, he's the only one that can change it. I'm glad he's openly admitting that he was taking plays off... it's unacceptable when we are trailing and can't get the other team's freakin offense off the field.

It's great to see he can admit the issue now he needs to fix it. I still shake my head at his coverage issue with jeffrey. That was an int or at least a knock down if he hadn't quit on that pass play. Gamble had a great interview. Sunday's film session was not very good for the guys. Basically the young guys are being given a chance this week to move up to replace players who continually make mistakes.

I LOVE the fact that the young guys are being given an opportunity to step in for the under-performers. Would have NEVER happened under Martinez. I heard the same thing from Richt regarding the O Line. It's a good case to point that when you are handed a job (like Rambo was), the edge wears off. Let someone else start to make a point, and have Rambo come in on the second play/series.

I LOVE the fact that the young guys are being given an opportunity to step in for the under-performers. Would have NEVER happened under Martinez. I heard the same thing from Richt regarding the O Line. It's a good case to point that when you are handed a job (like Rambo was), the edge wears off. Let someone else start to make a point, and have Rambo come in on the second play/series.

that is one of the differences between willie and his crew and our new staff. Guys who continually made mistakes were never replaced. They were allowed to continue to fail over and over again. There was no accountability. That is no longer the case.

Glad to see that CTG is making players earn and keep their starting spot. None of this seniority BS

I think a better approach would be to let Rambo sit until the player that started makes a mistake or two. Which could be 1 play or the whole game. That will sink into all the players head that poor play will get you benched.

Edited by Cable Guy

Yep, I'm loving that our defensive starter status is now predicated on showing up and being consistent no matter how long you've been in school. And you are right, it would never happen under Willie. I think Richt has been a big part of that mentality in our team though, because he has always seemed to favor seniority. But that may be changing with guys like AJ Green, Aaron Murray, Orson Charles, Washaun Ealey, Brandon Boykin, Branden Smith, and Bacarri Rambo (in spot duty last year) playing early and showing up in big ways.

Rambo may need to have a fire lit under his butt to get the best out of him. A lot of guys are like that, which is one of the big reasons I think our defense only got worse under Willie... he would just let crap fly and give people hugs or something.

that is one of the differences between willie and his crew and our new staff. Guys who continually made mistakes were never replaced. They were allowed to continue to fail over and over again. There was no accountability. That is no longer the case.

I'm still doing research to discover how Bryan Evans was able to start games for us. :P

I commend Rambo for taking ownership, but I can't understand how this could happen in the first place.... This is why you lift all those weights, this is why you go through all the pain, all the dedication of running, watching film going through drills over and over. All of that hard work, only to come out in the FIRST SEC game and loaf???? It's like going to college and dropping out before the last semester of your senior year. I just hope that this will be a thing of the past with him.

I didn't like Willie's defense, in fact I hated it ever since the 2005 Sugar Bowl because it was too passive and I didn't think he knew how to game plan for an opponent. But, having said that, we did have a drop off in defensive talent during his tenure. The worst of it was a big decline at defensive end due to attrition and recruiting misses. From our 2004-2008 classes, Lang, Moon, Sesay, Toby Jackson were all denied admission. Charles Johnson only stayed three years, Brandon Miller never played DE, Rod Battle hurt almost all of his last two seasons, Lemon kicked off, Brandon Wood missed two and half seasons with injuries, Neland Ball never played due to injuries. Put it all together and we ended up playing whoever was available and healthy, with very little competition for playing time at DE.

Then take a look at safety over the same period. Antonio Sims - kicked off team. Donovan Baldwin - kicked off team. Antavious Coates - never played due to knee injuries. Quintin Banks - played very little due to knee injuries. John Knox - kicked off team. Makiri Pugh - never played, quit team. That left Kelin Johnson, Reshad Jones, Bryan Evans, CJ Byrd, all of whom eventually started, mainly because there weren't many other options behind them. You can make the case that Rambo should have played more last season, but he was a true freshman and would have gotten burned his fair share too. I guess Pugh could have gotten a shot, I'm not sure why he didn't.

What about cornerback? During the 2003-2008 classes we signed Paul Oliver, Ramarcus Brown, Asher Allen, Prince Miller, Vance Cuff, Boykin. That's 6 corners over 5 years; we should probably average almost two a year. Oliver and Allen only stayed three years. Allen started as a freshman, and Boykin played a lot as a freshman. Cuff just wasn't physically ready for about three years. Once again, not a lot of quality depth during that period.

We tend to lose sight of how much real depth we have sometimes. I'm not a Martinez defender and was glad to see him leave, but our defensive talent was down during his time as DC. Partly his fault for shoddy recruiting, partly bad luck with attrition. I think we have better talent all around right now, although we have to find a true nose tackle and move Tyson to DE to make the defensive line work right. We are still very thin at OLB/DE, and the level of competition for starting jobs isn't ideal.

Edited by CalDawg

Then take a look at safety over the same period. Antonio Sims - kicked off team. Donovan Baldwin - kicked off team. Antavious Coates - never played due to knee injuries. Quintin Banks - played very little due to knee injuries. John Knox - kicked off team. Makiri Pugh - never played, quit team. That left Kelin Johnson, Reshad Jones, Bryan Evans, CJ Byrd, all of whom eventually started, mainly because there weren't many other options behind them. You can make the case that Rambo should have played more last season, but he was a true freshman and would have gotten burned his fair share too. I guess Pugh could have gotten a shot, I'm not sure why he didn't.

Great post, I agree with just about everything you said except the part about Rambo being a true freshman last year.

I'm still doing research to discover how Bryan Evans was able to start games for us. :P

I have a feeling you'll be researching that one for quite a while.. :lol:

I'm glad to see him own up to it. Now the question is, what will he do to correct it going forward? Actions speak louder than words. I like Rambo and want him to do well, so I really hope he takes this to heart, and never wants to have that feeling again. He's only got a couple more seasons at UGA, make the most of them. Don't look back and wonder what if...

I would bet anything Grantham tore him a new one when he saw the film.

I'm sure he wasn't the only one.

The one main difference with this staff (seemingly) and the old one, is keeping the competition up and open so that the "starters" can't slack off. I think this is where we'll really see a difference IMO. Competition makes everyone better. I think the best player should play, not just b/c you're a senior or a coach favorite, etc.. I think if the results aren't displayed on the field, you won't play. Simple as that. And that is a welcomed change.

Now, if we can only start doing that on offense more, we'll be in even better shape...

Edited by tjb

I don’t recall any players coming out after a bad game and taking responsibility for a loss during the Willie Martinez regime. It could be that I’m misremembering. I admit that I have repressed a lot of memories from those years that will surely come back to haunt me at the most inopportune moments.

I was really very surprised to read Rambo's admissions. It just doesn't make any sense. I keep thinking that there must have been something else going on in his head because nothing else could explain why he would loaf.