Something I want to say about Ryan and Mularkey and the Offense

The Falcon Jedi

I am going off the chain here and saying this.

I dont think having an Elite Pass-Catching TE has ever worked in the NFL. And this is why:

The TE is usually a tall, big target, usually open within 10 yards downfield. If y ou are a QB and you see a big bulls-eye like that, wouldnt you be tempted to throw to him all the time? And that is not necessarily a Bad thing. Not saying tha's bad.

But if you are a QB you start seeing that target, and you know he is a Hall Of Fame player, and you - being a young QB - is going to try to earn to Rep points with a guy like that. Because that is what the Organization is paying a TE to do - Catch The Football.

Now, after spending a couple of years doing that, and knowing you always have that Safety Valve to always go to, wouldnt it become almost instictive to make 1 read before checking down to that TE? He's a sure-handed receiver, you know that. But now as the QB you have fallen into this groove of looking for your #1 WR, then checking down to the TE.

That is what Ryan has fallen into. He basically has An 2 receivers when he throws the ball. Roddy and Gonzo. And Defenses are seeing that. Defenses are starting to zone in on Ryan's tendencies. They are also starting to pick up on his cadence at the LOS, and jump the ball-snap.

Now having said that. There are Coaches that are being paid a lot of money to direct Ryan, and adjust what theyre doing wrong, and it doesnt seem like they are.

Mike Mularkey is Not a Coach. He is a Schemer. He designs Schemes, but he doesnt actually Coach anything. He doesnt seem to be advising what the QB is doing wrong or right, or helps fix things during a game that needs to be adjusted. He makes no game day adjustments at all because - he is not an actual Coach. He sets a game plan down and just sticks with that, regardless of the consequences, regardless of the current situation. That is why he just sits up in that glass box every game, watching things from a PS3 perspective. He is looking at schemes, and defensive schemes, but he isnt down there "in the actual game". He is sitting high up away from his entire Offense, and not listening to what those 11 guys are complaining about, and talking to Ryan in a microphone.

Bill Musgrave, being Ryan's QB Coach, should be doing something to fill that void, but he doesnt seem to be doing anything other than defer to whatever Mularkey says - which is nothing. When the D-Line of the opposing team is jumping the snap - you should be changing something up and relaying that to the QB. This happened in Arizona, and it happened again in Pittsburgh. There seems to be a communication disconnect, or lack of coaching involved there. Ryan is doing something that is giving his snap count away, and the fact that hasnt been corrected by now really dissapoints me and my faith in this offensive coaching staff.

When Matt Ryan was a rookie QB, he didnt know much. He knew enough of the playbook to get the offense to the Line of Scrimmage, and he knew where his WRs might be. But for the most part he just went out there and PLAYED FOOTBALL. He called Audibles, his own plays, and just played on natural instinct. And he was phenomenal. Now, he just seems to be lost. Trying to think too much. Tunneling in on Roddy, and if he's not open then trying to find Gonzo. That is what is killing this offense.

When Ryan was a rookie, he scrambled, he made plays. He found someone open down-field. He took chances. He didnt throw to the sideline every pass play like he has been doing since last year. He used to throw down the middle with authority. And for 1 year in 2008 he was a Star. He was going to be the Next Best Thing. Because he just did what he knew how to do - MAKE A PLAY! Make a Play, Make it Happen.

SCREW MULARKEY'S PLAYBOOK! IT SUCKS! Do your own thing and Make It Happen. I saw it in 2008 just like the rest of the World did. Just do that and screw everything else. Run the No-Huddle, Call your own Plays. Call Audibles. RUN THE OFFENSE YOURSELF.

And forget Tony G. is even on this team. Find All of the WRs, All 3 of them on a Play and stop making the TE your check-down. Find the 2nd or 3rd WR. Spread the Offense out.

Spread the Offense back out will cause the Defense to Spread Out and that will give Turner more room to run. Just like in 2008. Remember?

Just Do It, and Stop Thinking.

I can only respond to opening statement because the thread was too long. Kellen Winslow Sr. work. The big TE for The Triplet Cowboys worked. Gonzalez even worked in KC. This is all on Ryan. He is so enamored with Tony that he is forgetting how to play QB.

He needs to quit trying to be Peyton and take a few pages from Brees. Spread the friggin ball around and take a few shots down field.

its not all ryans fault or tony g fault, u cant expect tony to catch when he is doubled like he was in that game, and yes ryan does need to look off of tony more, but he's also not to blame.... ryan actually threw the ball 44 times in that game, but we only had ONE catch over 20 yards.... out of 44 attemps.... that means we weren't stretching the field at all the whole game which made it actually easier on the steelers defense since they could just squat on everything.... this is getting annoying now....

i would agree with you, but ryan isn't only passing the ball to gonzo. HD and weems had 7 catches combined, and gonzo had a total of 2 receptions.

roddy was the heavy target, which isn't a bad thing.

Yea but how many times did Ryan try to force the ball to Gonzo the 1st half of that game, and not succeed. He wanted to get Gonzo that 1000th catch, and he kept trying and trying until finally he stopped. That cost the offense doing that.

Yea but how many times did Ryan try to force the ball to Gonzo the 1st half of that game, and not succeed. He wanted to get Gonzo that 1000th catch, and he kept trying and trying until finally he stopped. That cost the offense doing that.

what really cost the offense was not being able to run the ball, but ryan definitely does force the ball to gonzo.

but he is spreading the ball around, and doing much better than qbs like sanchez.

Edited by atlbravesfalcs7

what really cost the offense was not being able to run the ball, but ryan definitely does force the ball to gonzo.

but he is spreading the ball around, and doing much better than qbs like sanchez.

Saying you are better than Sanchez is like saying you are the Tallest Midget in the Room. That is nothing to be proud of.

Edited by The Falcon Jedi

other than the one, HUGE mistake ryan had late in the 4th i thought he played decent against a tough defense. especially considering we had absolutely zero run game.

I thought he played decent. But he nearly had another INT earlier that the Steeler LB dropped in his hands. He had a decent game, but not the kind of game we need from him to get to the Playoffs this season. Otherwise we may as well just try to be the Jets and rely on our Defemse and expect mediocre QB play.

i don't disagree at all with your thought process. Since Tony G has been here you see Matt constantly looking for him, rather than doing what he did best in 08--spread the ball around. But i don't think its simply related to Tony being a HOFer--sorta. I think it's more related to the fact, that we have simply never surrounded Matt with a lot of weapons beyond White and Tony G. Turner in 08, was a different back. He was gaining huge chunks and opening up the passing game, as well as inspiring confidence in Matt. Matt was starting in 2nd and 5 or 3rd and 4 situations in 08. Well the last two years we know how that has worked out. The pressure on Matt is extreme, plus who the **** is really stepping up as a wr beyond white?

I understand the push in the draft to get defense, but frankly its time to get some more playmakers. I watched the chiefs and guess what they blew as an offense. But Charles and McCluster--two playmakers--broke the game open despite their woes. Who are our gamechangers? That explosive 1 carry or 1 touch take it to the house guy?

Bottom line we drafted Matt high, now surround him with weapons.