How do you grade the Defense/Offense?

sharky

Def - B+ Would have been higher had they not let Dixon make so many key plays down the field. I find it rather disturbing that the Pit OC has more confidence in Dixon to go deep, than MM has in Ryan.

Off - C- Really not much to give praise on. It would have been a D if not for Roddy and HD. Seems they were the only ones that got the Rise Up memo.

Only one person here gave the offense a failing grade.

How can anyone give anything but a failing grade when the offense did not even score a TD?

Offense failed. Almost does not put points on the board. It does not matter if the offense moved the ball down field 99 yards. If they did not get the ball across the goal line they failed.

You can play the stats game all day long. The only thing that matters in football is what the score board says.

While I dislike Bill Belichick with a passion he made one of the best quotes I have heard.

"Stats are for losers. Scoreboards are for winners"

Now everyone can say how good the Steelers D was but that is part of football. To be the best you have to beat the best. If the Falcons cannot beat good defenses then they will not have a championship because you have to go through good D's to earn one.

Only one person here gave the offense a failing grade.

How can anyone give anything but a failing grade when the offense did not even score a TD?

Offense failed. Almost does not put points on the board. It does not matter if the offense moved the ball down field 99 yards. If they did not get the ball across the goal line they failed.

You can play the stats game all day long. The only thing that matters in football is what the score board says.

While I dislike Bill Belichick with a passion he made one of the best quotes I have heard.

"Stats are for losers. Scoreboards are for winners"

Now everyone can say how good the Steelers D was but that is part of football. To be the best you have to beat the best. If the Falcons cannot beat good defenses then they will not have a championship because you have to go through good D's to earn one.

I am factoring in that it was week 1, we were playing a very good defense, and we were able to move the ball but due to what I felt was some questionable playcalling...didn't get a TD. The offense wasn't good...but to say the offense was an absolute FAILURE on Sunday...they'd have have to have put no offensive points on the board or been limited to under 200 yards of total offense.

Offense D+ - moving the ball is great but not finishing long drives and throwing picks on your side of the 50 with 2 minutes left is just not acceptable in the NFL.

Defense B+ - Would be higher if any of these guys could catch a ball thrown right at them. It looked like a game of Madden out there, we dropped at least 3 or 4 easy picks from Dixon. That said, you have to be seriously impressed with our front 7 going away from this game. This defense is capable of big things going forward and they are very young. Lofton is the best run stuffing MLB in the NFL, which is scary behind smallish DT's. I would like to see more penetration, it almost looks like we're playing two gap on a lot of plays.

Offense: D

QB: C (Needs to look for open man after the snap rather than try to read the defense pre-snap and force it to who he thinks WILL be the open man)

RB: F (What more can I say)

WR: B- (They don't get to run many good routes, so it's hard to judge them. Roddy was good but had a few drops. HD and Weems needed to be targetted more)

OL: F (They got flat out manhandled)

OC: F- (Ugh)

Defense: B

DL: B- (w/ no Babs, I was satisfied, but they needed to get more pressure)

LB: A (Lofton and Spoon are studs)

CB: C+ (Just because I don't know who to blame for Ward, but Grimes and Owens looked good)

S: C (B+ for DeCoud, F for Coleman, and I'm offically in the #25 for SS camp)

Special Teams: B

KR/PR: C+ (Nothing special, nothing terrible)

Bryant: B (I was very nervous about all 4 kicks, but 3/4 in Heinz is very respectable)

Koenen: B (would have been a A, but that awful punt in OT is worth at least a grade)

Offense - F

Anytime you play an entire game and don't get a single touchdown is worthy of a failing grade. Unfortunatley that wasn't even the worst of it. When we get the ball to start OT our offense was a disaster. holding call set us back and we ended up punting on 4th and 17 from our own 14 yard line. after the punt steelers had the ball on the 50 and from there they only needed 15 yards for a game winning field goal and at this point i knew it was over. baker got handled as did dahl and ryan needs to make his way through progressions (he can not target roddy 23 times)

Defense - B+

For 60 minutes this was an A. surrendering no touchdowns in a road game is a great accomplishment. i thought spoon looked good in the open field and overall i didnt think any one player had a terrible game (unlike the offensive side of the ball) unfortunately they fell victim to our struggling offense and when you put the D on their heels like our offense did in OT they don't really stand a chance. Did suck that it was one play and over though

Even though it is a loss all it means is that we won't go 16-0. the defense playing well was promising and offensive struggles early in the year are pretty common among the NFL. i still think we are a playoff team but by no means are we elite

Offense - F

Anytime you play an entire game and don't get a single touchdown is worthy of a failing grade. Unfortunatley that wasn't even the worst of it. When we get the ball to start OT our offense was a disaster. holding call set us back and we ended up punting on 4th and 17 from our own 14 yard line. after the punt steelers had the ball on the 50 and from there they only needed 15 yards for a game winning field goal and at this point i knew it was over. baker got handled as did dahl and ryan needs to make his way through progressions (he can not target roddy 23 times)

Defense - B+

For 60 minutes this was an A. surrendering no touchdowns in a road game is a great accomplishment. i thought spoon looked good in the open field and overall i didnt think any one player had a terrible game (unlike the offensive side of the ball) unfortunately they fell victim to our struggling offense and when you put the D on their heels like our offense did in OT they don't really stand a chance. Did suck that it was one play and over though

Even though it is a loss all it means is that we won't go 16-0. the defense playing well was promising and offensive struggles early in the year are pretty common among the NFL. i still think we are a playoff team but by no means are we elite

I think our Offense deserved a C, but MM deserved the F-. They went with the plays that MM brought in, but I would rather for Ryan to call his own plays rather than MM.

Defense-B

Defense looked solid last year opening against Miami too. I saw some things I liked. It still looks like we can be exploited in the middle from about 12 yards out by air.

Offense-F

The elite teams impose their will offensively. We weren't even close to doing that yesterday.

I think our Offense deserved a C, but MM deserved the F-. They went with the plays that MM brought in, but I would rather for Ryan to call his own plays rather than MM.

I agree MM needs to do a much better job with his vanilla game planning...he had to be prepared for them doubling down on Tony G and his answer has to be better than throw everything roddy's way

Defense-B

Defense looked solid last year opening against Miami too. I saw some things I liked. It still looks like we can be exploited in the middle from about 12 yards out by air.

Offense-F

The elite teams impose their will offensively. We weren't even close to doing that yesterday.

I wouldn't exactly give them a F b/c they were able to move the ball, just wasn't able to score 7.