PASSER / RECEIVER ANALYSIS

Tandy

Tandy, I think you are dead on with the O-line. We really have never given Ryan the protection or pocket that he needs for us to have a deep threat. This lack of protection is really effecting every other aspect of our game. We cannot effectively run play-action, draws, counter traps or screens. You mostly hit on why. In everyone of those instances the defense has to react to something for the play to work. On a screen, even a TE screen (which are my favorite and some of the most effective for 10 - 15 yard pick-ups) the defense has to be sold on a pass AND the D-line has to be held up somewhat to allow for the reciever to get into postion. Also, the line backers have to be in their pass drops to give time for the reciever to catch the ball and for the Oline to get to the second level to challenge the backs and CBs. When we cannot stop the pass rush with our base defenders the receiver has no time to get into position and even if he did an LB would be right there to either make a quick stop, break up the pass or intercept the ball. That's even in Ryan could get the ball out of his hands before getting killed.

I like everything this coaching staff has done for the most part except develop the Oline. I still think we have a sub average offensive line and Ryan will not flourish until they either play better or are replaced. I am really suprised we have not gone out and picked up a couple of all pro veterans that were available the last year or two. Youth movement is one thing, but you have to have an experience line that can block for our type of offense.

I agree with this statement and to tell you the truth, I am totally confused by the lack of attention to this obvious achilles heal of the Falcons. I think the success they had in '08 - facing all 4-3 defenses until we go to the playoffs left this coaching staff with the impression that this line can do the job. AND - they do when facing 4-3 defenses for the most part.

There is no heft in that line to handle the larger 3-4 defenses and they just get moved backwards, collapse or get shoved aside.

I'm going to be timing several games like that this year. I can't wait until we face a 4-3 so I can see the difference. I'm sure there will be, but I want to prove or disprove it.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But that is because he is our Elite wr.

And that is why he IS an elite wr.

I bet if you crunched hte number with other great wrs on teams you find similar #'s

Thats the reason they are " go to" guys.

Awesome oringal post though. Ryan had a better day numbers wise then I think people understand. when you consider the defense we were playing, WHERE we were playing and the fact he got no help from runnning game, minus that one throw he could not have done too much more.

Seriously, the guy you designate as your #2 receiver is out and they totally shut down your HOF tight end. Doesn't surprise me in the least. If Jenkins is back on Sunday, that percentage will go down quite a bit.

Not sure if you are agreeing or disagreeing with Tandy, but the video shows that he is not watching the receiver. Nevermind what the ******* in the both were saying (yeah, I watched the game live and I know they said he was starring at Roddy all the way). He ignored the right side of the field, that is obvious, but on his drop he was looking right at the FS. Troy P's first step was back, then Ryan saw the CB, who already had inside technique bail to the slot, so he thought that Troy was covering over the top. In fact the two or three hesitation steps that Troy took reinforce this. Only after Ryan looked at the FS then the corner did he look at the spot he was going to throw. By this time the free safety was committed to jumping the route. It was a veteran move by Troy P. You stop this by running a couple of hitch and goes or out and go patterns.

I agree with this statement and to tell you the truth, I am totally confused by the lack of attention to this obvious achilles heal of the Falcons. I think the success they had in '08 - facing all 4-3 defenses until we go to the playoffs left this coaching staff with the impression that this line can do the job. AND - they do when facing 4-3 defenses for the most part.

There is no heft in that line to handle the larger 3-4 defenses and they just get moved backwards, collapse or get shoved aside.

Would have been interesting to see what they would have done if Pouncey was still available at pick 19.

I'm hoping that the reason they haven't addressed the issue is because they think Reynolds, Valdez, Hawley and Johnson are the answer for the Oline and just need some seasoning.

Does look like they're shooting for bigger players- Reynolds, Valdez and Johnson are huge.

Would have been interesting to see what they would have done if Pouncey was still available at pick 19.

I'm hoping that the reason they haven't addressed the issue is because they think Reynolds, Valdez, Hawley and Johnson are the answer for the Oline and just need some seasoning.

Does look like they're shooting for bigger players- Reynolds, Valdez and Johnson are huge.

Yeah, maybe. Our line has always been a little "smallish" every since the days of Mora and the zone blocking fiasco. I still think we need a center, pulling guard and I think I'm even sold on a LT. Baker is just not getting it done. I would move him to right tackle and sell the house to pick up a good LT, but they are rare and very hard to find/develop.

I appreciate the video - but it's pretty small for me (lol). Anyway - even in this small video - I can see he is not staring at the receiver - but turns to him as he throws.

It's easier for me to see on my large screen plasma with the frame by frame - and I reviewed it carefully - so I already know he did not stare down the receiver. It was especially easier for me since I was using a second timer on my recorder so that I could get the exact time from snap to throw. The turn to the receiver and throw was a mere fraction of a second. I can't call that staring.

Remember - this entire throw - from snap to release from Ryans hand was 1.85 seconds.

I appreciate the video - but it's pretty small for me (lol). Anyway - even in this small video - I can see he is not staring at the receiver - but turns to him as he throws.

It's easier for me to see on my large screen plasma with the frame by frame - and I reviewed it carefully - so I already know he did not stare down the receiver. It was especially easier for me since I was using a second timer on my recorder so that I could get the exact time from snap to throw. The turn to the receiver and throw was a mere fraction of a second. I can't call that staring.

Remember - this entire throw - from snap to release from Ryans hand was 1.85 seconds.

Neither can I. I think the commentators in the game against Pitts, was heavily hometeam favored, and this was just a stupid use of an overused term when usually thats exactly what most QB's do when making turnovers.

This just wasnt the case in this situation. It was great play by the safety.

Tandy, you are absolutely correct.

If there is any fault to be placed on Ryan it would only be these two things. One - he didnt look to the left side of the field once he approached the center; and two - he was obviously reading the free safety once he dropped. Roddy was either going to run a hitch, come back or out pattern based on that defensive formation and all three patterns depended on what the FS was doing. The quick read dictated an out route. Watching the replay you can see the defense respond and it's obvious what was going on. This wasnt really a break down on our offensive, just a really good read by the D. The main contributor to the pick, if you want to lay blame somewhere, was the predictability of the playcalling.

Look at it like this, if Roddy had run a out and up (to flag) Troy P. had already committed to taking away the out route. He would have been forced to chase Roddy. The CB bailed on the slot, so he was out of position. If Ryan had dropped and Troy bit on the out (which he did) there was nothing between Roddy and the goal line. As long as Ryan had an extra half second for Roddy to make his second cut Troy P. would have been a good 3 to 5 yards behind him. You cannot adjust to that at the line. Roddy and Ryan made the correct reads and the correct route was run. A radical change in the receivers routes requires an audible or the play being called from the beginning.

Bottom line was the coaching staff was the major factor in that INT, that and an aggressive defense.

He targeted him early to get the 1000th catch, but then went away once Pitt proved to be keying on him to stop the 1000th catch. The thing that really disappointed me was after getting the ball to Weems and HD a few times, he seemed to stop looking their way. I don't know if the coverage prevented this or if the time allowed in the pocket did, but I kept hoping he would get the ball more to our other receivers.

The numbers on the first post of the thread have been updated for week 2 - here they are if you just go to the end of a thread:

Every year I watch the games with my DVR and slow-mo the pass plays to determine certain things about our receivers and quarterback that I can't get easily from stats. This year, because I am very interested in the pass protection productivity of our line, I am also timing every snap from the point it is snapped to the point it leaves Ryans hand. I did this in this game and it was very time consuming - so I probably won't do that for every game. I'll do it for a variety of games though - those where we do well vs. do poorly, 3-4 vs. 4-3, etc.

This is not an argument for any specific point - I am merely sharing with you information that I've taken the time to gather that is hard to get elsewhere. I'll update it every week with the new totals rather than creating a different one for every week, however, I have the spreadsheets which contains the breakdown week by week, play by play and player by player if you are interested.

Receiver stats are based on targeted passes - not position, so yes - there are HB's, FB's, TE's and WR's included. Second - these numbers relate ONLY to the passing stats - not rushing. I will keep these numbers up as YTD numbers in this same thread.

2010 Regular Season Numbers Only:

================================================================================

First - Matt Ryan's (passing only) stats:

Attempts = 76

Completions = 48

Completion Percentage = 63.2 (Completion % - Drops = 67.6%) (Completion % - Throwaways+Drops=73.8%)

First Downs = 33 = 30.3% /att = 47.9% /comp

Touchdowns = 3 = 3.9% /att = 6.3% /comp

Interceptions = 1 = 1.3% /att =2.1% /comp

Throw Aways = 6 = 7.9% /att = 21.4% /misses (1 on 3D)

Dropped Passes= 5 = 6.6% /att = 17.9% /misses (4 on 3D)

The stats in red will only be periodically updated using a variety of games for information

Game1

AVERAGE TIME FROM SNAP TO PASS REGARDLESS OF OUTCOME = 1.7 SECONDS

LONGEST TIME FROM SNAP TO PASS = 4.0 SECONDS

ATTEMPTS WITH OVER 2 SECONDS TIME FROM SNAP TO PASS = 7 (15.9%)

ATTEMPTS WITH OVER 3 SECONDS TIME FROM SNAP TO PASS = 3 (6.8%)

AVERAGE TIME TIL SACK = 1.5 SECONDS

ATTEMPTS WHILE RUNNING FROM DEFENDER = 10 (22.7%)

Game2

AVERAGE TIME FROM SNAP TO PASS REGARDLESS OF OUTCOME = 2.2 SECONDS

LONGEST TIME FROM SNAP TO PASS = 4.6 SECONDS

ATTEMPTS WITH OVER 2 SECONDS TIME FROM SNAP TO PASS = 11 (34.4%)

ATTEMPTS WITH OVER 3 SECONDS TIME FROM SNAP TO PASS = 5 (15.6%)

AVERAGE TIME TIL SACK = 1.7 SECONDS

ATTEMPTS WHILE RUNNING FROM DEFENDER = 3 (9.3%)

============================================================================

By Receiver -

==============================================================================

Roddy White

Attempts = 35

Completions = 20

Completion Percentage = 57.1% ( -ThrowAways = 66.7%)

First Downs = 10 = 28.6% att = 50.0% comp

Touchdowns = 1 = 2.9% att = 5% comp

Interceptions = 1 = 2.9% att = 5% comp

Dropped Pass = 3 = 8.6% att = 20% misses (2 on 3D)

Throw Aways = 5 = 14.3% att = 33.3% misses

Yards = 189 = 39.6% Ttl Yds

PERCENTAGE OF TOTAL PASSES FROM RYAN = 46.1% OF ATTEMPTS, 41.7% OF COMPLETIONS

================================================================================

Tony Gonzalez

Attempts = 7

Completions = 4

Completion Percentage = 57.1% ( -ThrowAways = 57.1%)

First Downs = 4 = 57.1% att = 100% comp

Touchdowns = 0 = 0% att = 0% comp

Interceptions = 0 = 0% att = 0% comp

Dropped Pass = 0 = 0% att = 0% misses (0 on 3D)

Throw Aways = 0 = 0% att = 0% misses

Yards = 54 = 11.3% Ttl Yds

PERCENTAGE OF TOTAL PASSES FROM RYAN = 9.2% OF ATTEMPTS, 8.3% OF COMPLETIONS

Brian Finneran

Attempts = 4

Completions = 3

Completion Percentage = 75% ( -ThrowAways = 75%)

First Downs = 2 = 50% att = 66.7% comp

Touchdowns = 1 = 25% att = 33.3% comp

Yards = 31 = 6.5% Ttl Yds

PERCENTAGE OF TOTAL PASSES FROM RYAN = 5.3% OF ATTEMPTS, 6.3% OF COMPLETIONS

Harry Douglas

Attempts = 11

Completions = 5

Completion Percentage = 45.5% ( -ThrowAways = 45.5%)

First Downs = 4 = 36.4% att = 80% comp

Yards = 70 = 14.7% Ttl Yds

PERCENTAGE OF TOTAL PASSES FROM RYAN = 14.5% OF ATTEMPTS, 10.4% OF COMPLETIONS

Ovie Mughelli

Attempts = 2

Completions = 2

Completion Percentage = 100% ( -ThrowAways = 100%)

First Downs = 0 = 0% att = 0% comp

Yards = 9 = 1.9% Ttl Yds

PERCENTAGE OF TOTAL PASSES FROM RYAN = 2.6% OF ATTEMPTS, 4.2% OF COMPLETIONS

Jason Snelling

Attempts = 6

Completions = 6

First Downs = 1 = 16.7% att = 16.7% comp

Touchdowns = 1 = 16.7% att = 16.7% comp

Yards = 61 = 12.8% Ttl Yds

PERCENTAGE OF TOTAL PASSES FROM RYAN = 7.9% OF ATTEMPTS, 12.5% OF COMPLETIONS

Jerious Norwood

Attempts = 3

Completions = 1

Completion Percentage = 33.3% ( -ThrowAways = 33.3%)

Dropped Pass = 2 = 66.7% att = 100% misses (2 on 3D)

Yards = 9 = 1.9% Ttl Yds

PERCENTAGE OF TOTAL PASSES FROM RYAN = 3.9% OF ATTEMPTS, 2.1% OF COMPLETIONS

Michael Turner

Attempts = 1

Completions = 1

Yards = 7 = 1.5% Ttl Yds

PERCENTAGE OF TOTAL PASSES FROM RYAN = 1.3% OF ATTEMPTS, 2.1% OF COMPLETIONS

Justin Peelle

Attempts = 2

Completions = 2

First Downs = 1 = 50% att = 50% comp

Yards = 11 = 2.3% Ttl Yds

PERCENTAGE OF TOTAL PASSES FROM RYAN = 2.6% OF ATTEMPTS, 4.2% OF COMPLETIONS

Eric Weems

Attempts = 4

Completions = 4

First Downs = 1 = 25% att = 25% comp

Yards = 36 = 7.5% Ttl Yds

PERCENTAGE OF TOTAL PASSES FROM RYAN = 5.3% OF ATTEMPTS, 8.3% OF COMPLETIONS

Other (balls thrown away with no receiver named & odd one time receivers - such as eligible linemen)

Attempts = 1

Completions = 0

Completion Percentage = 0% ( -ThrowAways = 100%)

Throw Aways = 1 = 100% att = 100% misses

Yards = 0 = 0% Ttl Yds

PERCENTAGE OF TOTAL PASSES FROM RYAN = 1.3% OF ATTEMPTS, 0% OF COMPLETIONS

Noticed that time from snap to time ball was released improved only sightly from gm 1 to gm 2, don't know to feel good about that or not. Since I haven't paid close attention, particuliary, the specific pass selections, don't know if this bodes well for our OL.

Yes, but I felt like if they could just give him an extra 1/2 to 1 second - he'd be better.

He didn't throw any away this week - and there were no dropped passes - so that was an improvement.

He did have more "bad throws" - overthrew 3 times but he was pressured - hit either as or right after he threw on 2 of them - the other he just threw high over Roddy - he had 1.5 seconds on that play. He had 4.3 on the overthrow to Douglas - it was a play action fake and he rolled right - and he was hit as he threw it and then he had 1.6 seconds on the other one - and was pressured on the throw.

Overall, you could see improvement in some of the issues caused from lack of time - but they still need to give him more time to set up the deep pass.

Just wondering, what the avg time - snap to pass thrown, league wide? Not that I expect you to compile that info :P , but I just feel Matt isn't getting ample time on pass plays, which your stats seem to bear out. Could this be somewhat skewed by the type of passes we throw, I.E. quick rollouts/slants, etc?. Like I stated, haven't paid strict attention to that area. Thanks.

Just wondering, what the avg time - snap to pass thrown, league wide? Not that I expect you to compile that info :P , but I just feel Matt isn't getting ample time on pass plays, which your stats seem to bear out. Could this be somewhat skewed by the type of passes we throw, I.E. quick rollouts/slants, etc?. Like I stated, haven't paid strict attention to that area. Thanks.

Average time in the NFL is 4 seconds - but most QBs are expected to get rid of it around 3 to 3.5 at the most.