Initial impressions

Finally

I don't normally post my thoughts until I watch the game a second time when I can really focus on the mechanics. However, here are some initial impressions:

1) The biggest disappointment was losing a game that we could have won. I still do not think we are being aggressive enough and I think that falls on coach decisions.

2) They proved my point that if you have a strong enough defense you barely need a qb.

3) Not too worried about our offense. First game of the season and we faced a sb caliber defense on the road. I was expecting a low scoring slug fest

4) Seems like our defense is really coming along but Ward was definitely going to be Dixon's favorite target so why didn't we cover him better? They sure knew how to cover TG.

I don't normally post my thoughts until I watch the game a second time when I can really focus on the mechanics. However, here are some initial impressions:

1) The biggest disappointment was losing a game that we could have won. I still do not think we are being aggressive enough and I think that falls on coach decisions.

2) They proved my point that if you have a strong enough defense you barely need a qb.

3) Not too worried about our offense. First game of the season and we faced a sb caliber defense on the road. I was expecting a low scoring slug fest

4) Seems like our defense is really coming along but Ward was definitely going to be Dixon's favorite target so why didn't we cover him better? They sure knew how to cover TG.

Doesn't the offense bother you a little? Yes it was the steelers,and yes they are at home. That is a tough game for anyone. And I don't want to sound like broken record, it just I am seeing way to many negative trends on the offensive side of the ball. I just want MM to be a little more creative is all.

Other than that, I thought our defense was pretty good. They played well until the last play of the game.

This is actually something I was trying to figure out during the game. Did it seem like there were times where we actually lost track of where he was on the field? That should never happen. Ward is going to make catches, but at no time should he be that wide open.

Doesn't the offense bother you a little? Yes it was the steelers,and yes they are at home. That is a tough game for anyone. And I don't want to sound like broken record, it just I am seeing way to many negative trends on the offensive side of the ball. I just want MM to be a little more creative is all.

Other than that, I thought our defense was pretty good. They played well until the last play of the game.

Let's put it this way... I am not that bothered yet. We have to find ways to play better against 3-4s and yes there is room for improvement in just about every aspect of our offense from coaching down but I am not alarmed. As long as it is a slow start not a slow season we will be fine.

This is actually something I was trying to figure out during the game. Did it seem like there were times where we actually lost track of where he was on the field? That should never happen. Ward is going to make catches, but at no time should he be that wide open.

Again, it is based on my initial impressions but, yes, it seemed like he was wide open too many times. He was easily the MVP of the game.

The only true concern I have at the moment is Sam Baker. Whether it is run or pass blocking he is starting to look like a backup LT to me. Other than that I agree with all of your points, it is so early in the season. As for #4, I thought it was bad enough Ward caught the first ball in the middle of 4 DB's who were no where near but to do it again the next play is not good at all. Once the opposing team finds a weakness they will hammer that all day long.

The only true concern I have at the moment is Sam Baker. Whether it is run or pass blocking he is starting to look like a backup LT to me. Other than that I agree with all of your points, it is so early in the season. As for #4, I thought it was bad enough Ward caught the first ball in the middle of 4 DB's who were no where near but to do it again the next play is not good at all. Once the opposing team finds a weakness they will hammer that all day long.

Yeah it is almost as if our game planning is too narrow. We look at a 3rd string qb so we focus so much effort on stopping the run we leave Ward free roam the field. Ward is their equivalent of Tony G and he is going to make even a 3rd string qb look good if he gets open.

O Line play was terrible. We won't win many games this year with under 75 yards rushing.

QB play was marginal. We forced far too many throws into TG. I don't give a rats *** if he was a catch away from 1000. Stay within the offense.

Def play was improved, but not exactly perfect. LB play was very good, Edge rushers played well. Our DT play wasn't stellar. The secondary was ok, although sure did seem like Ward was being ignored.

Seemed weak at the skill positions. White, Turner, TG, and Ryan are all going to need to play better for us to win games. I thought turner certainly put in the effort. The yards he got he got mostly on his own.

The first game of the season is way to early to draw conclusions, but two things that caught my eye were:

1. Our O-line again did not play well

2. I am starting to believe in the whole overly conservative OC threads that have been posted the last two years. Although Matty did a nice job hitting 8 different receivers (8 or 9), sometimes you have to lengthen the field even you intentially over throw the receiver. The INT Ryan threw was totally a consequence of Troy P. sitting on a route when he saw the personel and formation. He knew we would not go deep and even when the defense shows a 2-deep zone you still have to challenge it.