The problem with UGA's O-line?

Billy Ocean

I think I know why our run-blocking has been a problem - its the guards. We have one guard with a degenerative hip (C. Davis) and the other with mono (Glenn). No wonder we have so much trouble running in between the tackles. I appreciate Davis' contribution over the past 3 years, but with that hip he could probably qualify for handicap parking. And I'm no medical expert, but I remember kids in high school being home-schooled while they had mono - not because they were contagious, but because going to school was too physically demanding. We can pass block because that doesn't require the physically dominating drive blocking that is needed with run-blocking.

Edited by Billy Ocean

first we got our unit back together after injuries just 4 days before game 1. second glenn is playing, but he needs some more time off IMO to get over his mono. i have had guys in the pass i know who were affected for a number of weeks/months after getting Mono. also chris davis can not be starting for this team. no way no how. getting trinton sturvidant back will be huge because we will move boling back inside. our tackles are find as is our center, but we need to work on the guard combo.

We have a good OL. They pass block extremely well, but they have difficulty run blocking because teams are set up to stop our run game. Mike Bobo apparently bought into the hype that Georgia could be a ram it down your throat team, but very few teams do that successfully if the defense really wants to force you to pass. Our run game uses very little (almost zero) misdirection, which means our tailbacks are just running into a mass of bodies. Once Aaron gets established as a good scrambler/passer, the run game will open up. Until we do that, we'll continue to have trouble running, IMO.

I'm actually surprised we were still in the game as long as we were with the way the team was playing. It should have been a blowout in SC's favor. I hope they can get these problems fixed. The drive where Ealey fumbled looked like they were finally getting it together and then BAM! Fumble. That sucked.

I'm actually surprised we were still in the game as long as we were with the way the team was playing. It should have been a blowout in SC's favor. I hope they can get these problems fixed. The drive where Ealey fumbled looked like they were finally getting it together and then BAM! Fumble. That sucked.

You're exactly right. Looked we were finally getting it together, and just like that, gone. Ugh.

I honestly thought had we been able to punch it in for 6 right there that the game would have turned out a little different. I hope we learned something right there.

I fully agree. Obviously the points would have helped, but I think the bigger thing was the momentum shift. At that point, we're either tied, or down by 2. I think the mentality of the defense is much different, and instead of being deflated and letting them march down the field to put the game out of reach, we get the ball back and go for the win.

I know I was let down when the fumble happened. I can only imagine how the defense must have felt. Still no excuse, but that was death blow in that game. He picks the absolute worse times to fumble. This and the KY game last year, absolute heartbreakers...

In all fairness the UK fumble was 80% Bobo's fault for calling a goal line toss sweep, with Cox and Ealey splitting the remaining 20% evenly for poor execution/ form.

On that note, can I say how great it is that Joe Cox is not under center for the Georgia Bulldogs offense? I liked the guy as a person, but as a QB, I was far from his biggest fan. Stafford's equal he was not.

It's safe to say that it's time to tinker with the offensive line. I agree 100% that Glenn needs more time to get over his mono. I've had mono and the effects can linger for quite some time. He looked punchless for the most part. I hope they throw Sturdivant back in there and whoever is willing to get after it this week.

The offensive line did a fine job in pass protection. If that is going to be their strength, we need to let Murray go a little and throw the ball to open up the running game.

The problem is they just aren't that good. Let's face the facts here. We haven't had a good line for years now. That needs to be one of our major concerns going forward as a program. We need to recruit difference makers up front.

I do not believe for one second that we do not have a talented O-Line. Lets hope our coaches get these guys to play to their potential.

The problem is they just aren't that good. Let's face the facts here. We haven't had a good line for years now. That needs to be one of our major concerns going forward as a program. We need to recruit difference makers up front.

I have to disagree with you. They may not be motivated/playing hard every play, but they have the talent and experience. Boling will probably be a first round draft pick and Sturdivant would have been a first round draft pick without the injuries he suffered. The experience alone should be a big benefit, but it just isn't translating on the field right now. You have to look at the SS as the coach and ask why aren't guys getting it done.

It sounds like Georgia is cranking up the practices this week, which is music to my ears.

Sometimes you just have to take off the rose colored glasses guys. I used to say similar stuff to what you're saying, only it was about our defense after BVG left. Our line just isn't that good. They're better than average pass blockers but they're not physical enough to lead a dominant run game like, say, an Alabama. Sturdivant, shoulda coulda woulda. If Bolling is a first round pick I will die laughing at the idiot who took him. He's a good player but he is not a first rounder at all. You guys just need to be honest when you look at your team and not be such homers. I understand the desire to believe all you are saying but UGA just is not that good right now. We had a long run with a bunch of great players but we're in a dry spell, it happens.