A question about Mularkey's playcalling

FalconinPA

First of all, let me say that I am not a big fan of Mike Mularkey. But the question that I wanted to ask is, Do you guys think that his playcalling has to do a little with catering to Ryan's accuracy and arm strength on longer pass plays? Not trying to be negative here, just a question.

It also seems that when ever Redman is in the game, that Mularkey seems to open the play book up a little more as far as deeper passes. But we are definitely gonna be in alot of trouble if the little dink and donk passes continue. I think alot of teams are gonna stack the box against us, forcing Ryan to beat them with his arm. Hopefully we can adjust.

First of all, let me say that I am not a big fan of Mike Mularkey. But the question that I wanted to ask is, Do you guys think that his playcalling has to do a little with catering to Ryan's accuracy and arm strength on longer pass plays? Not trying to be negative here, just a question.

It also seems that when ever Redman is in the game, that Mularkey seems to open the play book up a little more as far as deeper passes. But we are definitely gonna be in alot of trouble if the little dink and donk passes continue. I think alot of teams are gonna stack the box against us, forcing Ryan to beat them with his arm. Hopefully we can adjust.

But if thats the case, why we were successful his rookie year to push the ball down the field.. It has more to do with him going to the well on a play too much when a play works a few times. All of Whites route were short routes..Never anything deep.

But if thats the case, why we were successful his rookie year to push the ball down the field.. It has more to do with him going to the well on a play too much when a play works a few times. All of Whites route were short routes..Never anything deep.

I'm going to get flamed but I think TOny Gonzo has ruined our OC. He likes to keep everything short and tight.

Just a question my good man. I think we were successful in his rookie year because teams didn't know what to expect. Turner was new, Ryan was new and the team played liked they had something to prove. We caught alot of people off guard because they thought we would fold.

I agree that Whites routes work short, but this is why I am asking the question. If we don't spread the defense out, they are gonna continue to stack up against the run.

Just a question my good man. I think we were successful in his rookie year because teams didn't know what to expect. Turner was new, Ryan was new and the team played liked they had something to prove. We caught alot of people off guard because they thought we would fold.

I agree that Whites routes work short, but this is why I am asking the question. If we don't spread the defense out, they are gonna continue to stack up against the run.

I agree totally that teams did not know what to expect our rookie year, BUT teams figured us out, hence the late season stats for Ryan and the playoff game.

We are seeing an extension from last year as far an offense. Nothing has changed and Mularkeys offenses usually do that though..They are good the first year, and then continue to regress every year.

When the running game works, the passing attack shines because for Mularkeys passing attack to work, you need a run game. All his deep throws are ALL off an successful run game...

We dont even run back shoulder routes or any double moves or anything like that..Its crazy how our route tree is used...

I really wish I knew. Sad thing is I actually thought he was calling a decent game through the first 2 1/2 quarters. I know some people would say he stuck with the run too long but at that point you couldn't abandon it.

After that though I thought it went all downhill. As far as the deep ball and not calling for it...I'm not sure. I can remember during Matt's 1st year though late in the season I thought one of the issues was he was trying to hit the big play too often. I don't know if the playcalling now is designed to prevent this or what, but I do know it needs to be resolved.

I really wish I knew. Sad thing is I actually thought he was calling a decent game through the first 2 1/2 quarters. I know some people would say he stuck with the run too long but at that point you couldn't abandon it.

After that though I thought it went all downhill. As far as the deep ball and not calling for it...I'm not sure. I can remember during Matt's 1st year though late in the season I thought one of the issues was he was trying to hit the big play too often. I don't know if the playcalling now is designed to prevent this or what, but I do know it needs to be resolved.

Thats why I say there is a problem with MULARKEY more than Ryan. Ryan doesnt have a problem throwing deep or throwing ints but all of sudden, when we get TG, the offense becomes a short, dink and dunk offense. Only deep plays comes from the PA which is a problem

The pass that got intercepted is a pretty long throw

and we went with it all day, almost tempting somebody to

jump it. Finally they did but it was a free lancing

safety who was totally unafraid of leaving the center

of the field exposed because he was sure where the ball

was going. This was where we should have won the game

by catching him out of position. Instead he caught us

thinking that play was ours any time we wanted it. Ryan

was in shock, he never expected it at all.

But we are definitely gonna be in alot of trouble if the little dink and donk passes continue.

I think (and hope) that the only reason we went with those short passes in that game was b/c of Troy Polamalu being on the field.

I'll be proven right or wrong next week. And If I'm wrong, then we have no shot with that short pass garbage (I was at the game) and it was terrible to watch in person.

I'm going to get flamed but I think TOny Gonzo has ruined our OC. He likes to keep everything short and tight.

TG didn't ruin it. Matt Ryan did. He's leaning too much on TG. TG should be a compliment to the rest of the offense, not THE offense. Matt needs to go back to what he did the first year. Spread the ball around.

+1... I kept thinking someone is going to jump the deep out/comeback. Can only run the same route so many times before someone takes a chance and breaks on the ball. Might have been nice to see a double move but I'm not sure the OL would give enough time.

It seemed every **** pass play was a deep out and or deep comeback.

Polamalu "jumped" the route/throw from Matt to Roddy. Matt made the decision before he snapped the ball. Had Matt waited a split second longer, he would have seen this and thrown to a "wide open" Eric Weems who probably could have run for 20-30 yards. Matt seems to be "jumpy" in the pocket to me and plays like he has a hot potato.

I'm sorry we only had 1 touchdown in 13 total possesions the entire pre-season. If you told me my offense can only get one touchdown the pre-season and none on opening day. Something is wrong with the play calling.

agreed on Falcons/Mike Mularkey/Ryan. "The book is out" now on how to defend the Falcons offense. The Falcons will not test a defense down the field so this allows defenses to crowd the line of scrimmage and just defend the short/intermediate passes. Not having to defend the entire field makes it so much easier on a defense and so much harder on the Falcons offense. Also, we will continue to get limited "YAC" because we are not often hitting the WR/TE on the move - which means a lack of big plays in the passing game.

this.

I like Tony Gonzalez but he needs to get 5 passes thrown his way per game and that's it. White, Douglas, Jenkins and the RB's should get the rest. Plus we should pass to set up the run with 55%/45% or 60%/40% pass to run ratio.

Don't run into the teeth of a run D with 8 men in the box, throw it for pete's sake! When they back off run it!

Stevie Wonder can see that why can't Mularkey? Unless he's trying to "impose his will"!

Edited by TeamPlayer1

I won't flame you because I'm thinking the same thing regarding Tony G. I like the guy, but Ryan should just stop looking at him as his hot route. I literally wished that he would have been replaced by Peele for just a bit, that way Matt would go somewhere else with the ball.

Perhaps it is just me, but it seems that we have a handful of plays that we run over and over and this leads to interceptions and negative yardage. Who is accountable for the play selection? Who do we go to for answers on why we call the same plays over and over?

Screen plays? None. It would be nice to have a few mis-direction plays to throw the Pittsburgh type defenses off-guard.

Troubled by the way we just keep doing the same plays over and over.