There is a Harsh Truth to Face

Sure the 80 yard bombs and the gaudy Hillis stats are fun but there is something that is seriously being overlooked this year.

The Falcons are 2nd in the NFL in 3rd down and 4th down sucess as a percentage. They also are 2nd for the most 1st downs per game.

That has been the most enjoyable part of the game so far. Anyone remember all the 3 and out then the desperate sandlot style?

It's the fact that this team can move the chains means they can control the clock. The best defense is a good offense. It also means when the game is close or they are behind in the final minutes they can effectively move downfield and score.

I'll take that over gaudy 500yd games anyday.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure the 80 yard bombs and the gaudy Hillis stats are fun but there is something that is seriously being overlooked this year.

The Falcons are 2nd in the NFL in 3rd down and 4th down sucess as a percentage. They also are 2nd for the most 1st downs per game.

That has been the most enjoyable part of the game so far. Anyone remember all the 3 and out then the desperate sandlot style?

It's the fact that this team can move the chains means they can control the clock. The best defense is a good offense. It also means when the game is close or they are behind in the final minutes they can effectively move downfield and score.

I'll take that over gaudy 500yd games anyday.

I don't think anybody is overlooking their 3rd down success. It's the biggest reason they are winning games.

After hearing the arguments, I'm going with elite offense, or **** close to it.

Our offense has Roddy at WR, TG at TE, Turner and Snelling in the back field, a solid O-Line, and Ryan at QB. What's not to like?

Yeah, without a second deep WR threat we're not an elite passing attack, but the smart play, lack of turnovers, third-down conversion rate, Bryant, and the running game more than make up for that.

And I think that suits Matt Ryan really well. His main weakness still seems to be his accuracy at deep range, so I'm not sure that getting a deep threat is exactly what we need.

I think the thing that held this offense back from being elite was Matt Ryan. Last year his TD:INT ratio was 22:14. This year it's 19:5 and over his last five games it's 10:1.

I don't think the O-Line suddenly learned how to block. I think Matt Ryan has been playing at another level and the playcalling has been better. If Ryan continues to play anywhere near that level, I think we have, for all intents and purposes, an elite offense.

I don't think anybody is overlooking their 3rd down success. It's the biggest reason they are winning games.

I went back after I posted and realized why this was bumped so I see it was brought up but more often than not people flock to NFL.com and use the standard rankings of passing and rushing yards which unless they contribute to points then they are only useful in fantasy football.

On a slightly different note the sucess of the 3rd and 4th downs are not solely due to the fact Ryan is just that amazing but more realistically Mularkey is making some great calls.

I will take being one of the best at long sustained drives, time of possession victories, 3rd down conversions, and clutch comebacks over your generic stats.

You know what dude? I've decided that you are right. 100% right.

This offense is doing it in a way that is different, but it's probably the very best offense in the league.

Gonna save my explanation for a different thread, but just wanted you to know that I've come over to that way of thinking. This offense is "elite".

Realistically, stripped down to its most basic, an offense's job is: First downs and points. Not yards. A team that gets ten yards in one play isn't really doing their job any more than a team that gets ten yards - and a first down - in three plays. One is more flashy, but in the end. . .

Realistically, stripped down to its most basic, an offense's job is: First downs and points. Not yards. A team that gets ten yards in one play isn't really doing their job any more than a team that gets ten yards - and a first down - in three plays. One is more flashy, but in the end. . .

I would argue that the one that gets 10 yards in 3 plays is doing a better job for the TEAM than the one that gets all 10 yards in 1 play. The longer drives wear the opposing D down (which has been seen with our opponents) and it keeps our D fresh for the 4th quarter. It also wears them down and our running game becomes more effective in the 4th to close out games. Yes, the games have been close but I never doubted for a second that if our O has time and we need to score with less than a minute, we can do it if needed. That's the catch...being effective when it is NEEDED.

After hearing the arguments, I'm going with elite offense, or **** close to it.

Our offense has Roddy at WR, TG at TE, Turner and Snelling in the back field, a solid O-Line, and Ryan at QB. What's not to like?

Yeah, without a second deep WR threat we're not an elite passing attack, but the smart play, lack of turnovers, third-down conversion rate, Bryant, and the running game more than make up for that.

And I think that suits Matt Ryan really well. His main weakness still seems to be his accuracy at deep range, so I'm not sure that getting a deep threat is exactly what we need.

I think the thing that held this offense back from being elite was Matt Ryan. Last year his TD:INT ratio was 22:14. This year it's 19:5 and over his last five games it's 10:1.

I don't think the O-Line suddenly learned how to block. I think Matt Ryan has been playing at another level and the playcalling has been better. If Ryan continues to play anywhere near that level, I think we have, for all intents and purposes, an elite offense.

The OLine has not learned how to block. They have changed the play calling and personnel assignments to cover that weakness.

I said at the beginning of the year once we got past the 3-4 defenses - we'd see a difference - but it's beyond that. They've started letting Ryan control the defenses - and they have changed the way the plays are called - the line is held and utilize the backs and ends to do more chipping in the protection.

The OLine has not learned how to block. They have changed the play calling and personnel assignments to cover that weakness.

I said at the beginning of the year once we got past the 3-4 defenses - we'd see a difference - but it's beyond that. They've started letting Ryan control the defenses - and they have changed the way the plays are called - the line is held and utilize the backs and ends to do more chipping in the protection.

Thank you!. I find it strange, and I don't have the stats handy (sack wise), but it seems to me that not too long ago, the OL was getting Matt killed. I believe the nbr of sacks has decreased significantly. Might there be a direct correlation with MJ12's return, less targeting of Gonzo, and a different blocking scheme in place to hide the OL deficencies? All of the above, in my estimation has allowed Matt more time to go through his reads without fear for his life.

Thank you!. I find it strange, and I don't have the stats handy (sack wise), but it seems to me that not too long ago, the OL was getting Matt killed. I believe the nbr of sacks has decreased significantly. Might there be a direct correlation with MJ12's return, less targeting of Gonzo, and a different blocking scheme in place to hide the OL deficencies? All of the above, in my estimation has allowed Matt more time to go through his reads without fear for his life.

That and I believe he is actually making those reads so much faster these days. He gets rid of the ball very quickly. You can either give credit to the WRs getting open, better play calling, or both.

How about elite 1st and 3rd down efficiency? How about elite time of possession? How about elite comeback ability? How about scoring more than the other team 9 of 11 games?

It's an elite offense. Elite. <_<

After further review which I will get to in another thread, I have to say I agree. The offense has been elite this year.

I did. You can probably dig for a post from me right around week 1 where I said we would only have 1 loss at the bye, and could be a 12-13 win team this year.

Even if that's the case you were in the minority. That's why people shouldn't give OP too much flack. A whole lot of people thought 9-10 wins at best. Maybe 11 was dreaming.

Compared to now where 11 wins would be a HUGE disappointment

Why are you like that man? This offense is not elite, stick to your guns. Very good, but not elite.

LOL well when you see my research, you'll see why I caved.

People know me...if I am proven wrong....I'll say I am wrong. In this instance I've done the research and proven myself wrong.