There is a Harsh Truth to Face

Now with all that being said....the offense must become FAR more consistent. I'm thinking we have to start that this Sunday. Defensively I think to criticize Dunta after what amounts to his first preseason game is a little harsh. He will knock off the rust and be okay.

This team is too well coached to NOT improve. That's the bottom line that comforts me in the end. We competed yesterday. No more of the lopsided Mora-esque loses from 04-06.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have honestly been trying to give Mularky the benefit of the doubt, but he's making it real **** hard. We went to the deep comeback well way to many times. The Steelers are sending jail break blitzs and we are running 5 and 7 step drop plays instead of a halfback screen which would have put a stop to that ish(see the McNabb Eagles).

You don't run right at the Steelers. You send 3 receivers deep then have Norwood on a swing route as a checkdown if everything is covered. You move HD all over the field trying to isolate him on LBer.

It's not that we don't have dynamic players, it's that they are being used in very uncreative way. I'm only left to wonder what Sean Payton could do with our offense.

There are two problems with us on O. The first one is something happened when Tony Gonzo was brought in. Say what you want but this offense BASICALLY condensed to fit him into our offensive plan. Don't understand why that happened but something is wrong their from an offensive standpoint.

Secondly, Mularkey is holding us back and REGRESSING Ryan. Something is misfiring here between the two. Honestly, how is that he was able to read defenses his rookie year but not anymore. I understand players can lock onto WRs at times and continually feed him the ball but something has happened..Its like, Mularkey instructed him to go with his first read and thats it.

Who knows whats goes on behind clothes doors. I will say this, when we go no huddle, the Offense is alot better when he is calling the plays..

Something has to happen where the offense is tweaked and altered to fit our players to there best skillset..

Not utilizing Norwood enough on the edge. Really not working the middle of the field deep. You know whats funny, the middle of the field was open after about 20-30 yards because they sat on every thing short. No adjustments are made...

The Truth Hurts!!! Fix it soon please!!

The problem with the OC is he BASICALLY tailored his O to fit to be a ball control offense. As the league evolves to a passing attack with various route combinations and formations, we will continue to be left in the dust. Even when Colin Cowherd speaks about the Falcons, he says we have an UBER-CONSERVATIVE offense. Ryan is ready to take the reigns but when you have a simplistic gameplan and route combinations, there is only so much.

People complain about him not throwing deep. Ryan doesnt have an problem throwing INTS (as we can see) but when your OC does not call plays with even the slightest change of a player going deep, you cant throw deep. All his routes are thrown short and that is the problem...

When have you seen an Falcons player in space, open with room to run.. I have not seen that in years...

I can only agree about the opening post.

One point: I think, that some experts/fans were hoping for the next step. And that is the point, which makes me nervous and experts are not so high on the falcons anymore. This was a game like last year. We played so at the Panthers, at the Giants(okay more points), at the Jets. This was okay. But the falcons were not the better football team. And if you play against Dennis Dixon as QB, you should be the better QB. Then the lost Casey Hampton and you see no difference.

One point: I also think, that Turner got a hit in the 2008 season. He had too much carries. There were articles, which were questioning the number of carries. He is not the same type of player.

This is the best thread I have seen on here since the loss. Thank you peyton. I am glad im not one of the only ones who does not have homer glasses on.

This offense has problems. Point blank. This offense is no where near perfect nor prolific.

And the matt predetermined passes to gonzo is really getting old

Edited by FalconPio

I have honestly been trying to give Mularky the benefit of the doubt, but he's making it real **** hard. We went to the deep comeback well way to many times. The Steelers are sending jail break blitzs and we are running 5 and 7 step drop plays instead of a halfback screen which would have put a stop to that ish(see the McNabb Eagles).

You don't run right at the Steelers. You send 3 receivers deep then have Norwood on a swing route as a checkdown if everything is covered. You move HD all over the field trying to isolate him on LBer.

It's not that we don't have dynamic players, it's that they are being used in very uncreative way. I'm only left to wonder what Sean Payton could do with our offense.

OMG!! How can we see that and know that, but our moron OC cant? You could tell after the 1st qtr that Turner was not going to get throw the teeth of those big DL and our OL was out muscled. Why cant we have an OC that can adapt? Its like they didnt even game plan at all.

I couldn't agree more.

And also agree with another poster above. I am not mad because of one loss. Losses happen in the NFL, I am mad because of the trend I am seeing from the offense. It is really frustrating as a fan to watch. I am never usually one to blame a coordinator for a teams flaws, but something really needs to be done. We are WAY to predictable, and it drives me nuts. It drives me crazy watching other teams with less talent than we having getting big plays. And then watch us run directly at the steelers monster line 17 times. I don't want to abandon the run, but lets get a little more creative her. How bout some swing passes to Norwood? God forbid we run a screen pass.

Thats my vent. I am over it, and now can get excited about next week. I just hope MM can make some better calls and put a whuppin on that AZ defense.

This is what a lot of fans are not comprehending. They think that some of us are having a knee jerk reaction to 1 game. No, this goes back to most games of last year....wait wait. It actually goes back to the Arz playoff game. Then it carried over to the 2010 preseason and now game 1.

This goes back to '08 for me when we were still "rebuilding". You play the game to win. If we go even 9-7 this year I would not be surprised if heads start rolling.

This is the best thread I have seen on here sense the loss. Thank you peyton. I am glad im not one of the only ones who does not have homer glasses on.

This offense has problems. Point blank. This offense is no where near perfect nor prolific.

And the matt predetermined passes to gonzo is really getting old

Anybody who uses my name and "best thread" in the same post gets a +1 from me. Just a rule I have. So....congratulations on that. :)

The problem with the OC is he BASICALLY tailored his O to fit to be a ball control offense. As the league evolves to a passing attack with various route combinations and formations, we will continue to be left in the dust. Even when Colin Cowherd speaks about the Falcons, he says we have an UBER-CONSERVATIVE offense. Ryan is ready to take the reigns but when you have a simplistic gameplan and route combinations, there is only so much.

People complain about him not throwing deep. Ryan doesnt have an problem throwing INTS (as we can see) but when your OC does not call plays with even the slightest change of a player going deep, you cant throw deep. All his routes are thrown short and that is the problem...

When have you seen an Falcons player in space, open with room to run.. I have not seen that in years...

Well said. Im so glad more and more are really starting to open their eyes and realize that we will get left behind, if we dont adapt to the new NFL way. Its like we refused to adapt to the WCO back in the 80's and instead we went to that Run & Shoot crap. By the time we finally adapted the the WCO(Knapp), it had already played out its time. Will we let the new style pass us by yet again?

First of all, let me give my standard rant after a disappointing loss.

If yesterday's game is truly affecting your mood, get a life. I mean that in a nice way. I mean, get a girlfriend, get a boyfriend, get a job, get a hobby, get a new toy...heck.....get some problems and get some stress.

Just get something to make you understand that the Falcons truly have no impact on your life other than entertainment. It will help you take disappointing losses so much better, but you still get to have great joy when they win.

Now, on to my point. This Falcons team probably isn't going to be a great team on either side of the ball, but I think they will be pretty solid on both sides of the ball.

The truth is that the 2008 season was a miracle season where a lot of the guys played way above their heads and the team capitalized on an extremely weak schedule.

The Falcons really have one elite player on offense in Roddy White. At this point in his career, Tony Gonzalez still has very nice hands, but he isn't a player that can get vertical. If he were, we would have seen it by now. He has had the best career of any TE ever, but he is probably only the 6th or 7th best TE in the league now.

Michael Turner and the Falcons run game is just flat streaky. Most games against good defenses, they struggle. Turner put up a monster season in 2008 with the help of some rediculous numbers against bad defenses and good games against mediocre defenses. The truth is that he struggles in virtually every game against good run defenses, so nobody should have been surprised by what they saw yesterday.

Not only that, but I think those 370 carries in 2008 obviously took something out of Michael Turner.

Matt Ryan, as much as we all love him, needs to contintue to read defenses after the ball is snapped rather than determine where he is going with it before the snap. He is looking over defenses, going "hey this is the look we were looking for where Roddy will be open on the deep out", and then going with his preread decision.

Teams have figured that out about him, and they are baiting him. It began last year and the Steelers did a great job of it yesterday. They only got the one pick but they had Roddy covered completely on a bunch of those outs.

An encouraging aspect from yesterday is that Douglas and Weems made some plays. Ryan needs to read the coverages and give those guys more opportunities to do so.

Matt Ryan will get there, but he's not close yet. Mularkey needs to be more pro active in getting it fixed. If Ryan is leaning on the outs to Roddy too much, stop calling plays where he runs that pattern and make Ryan do something else.

The point I am getting at is that this offense is not the elite offense that some fans think that it is. I don't think it's going to be this year. It's just pretty good - probably finish the year somewhere between 12th and 16th in offense.

On defense, there are reasons to be very optimistic but they still have to prove they can get pressure on a QB with 4 rushers. Sean Weatherspoon has the speed and instincts to be a star in this league, and that is a reason to be truly excited. Owens looked great out there yesterday, an the Steelers hardly looked Grimes way.

Dunta looked like he got overpaid by about 40 mil, but at least the Falcons seem to have a deep secondary, even if Dunta is the third best CB on the team.

The Falcons defense has individual components that make us all believe they can become an elite defense, even me, the 2010 Skeptic of the Year. But it's going to take some time for these guys to gel, and frankly, it might take them some time to figure out who the best players are.

Which brings me to my next point. BVG has never shown anything to indicate that he is a guy who can develop an elite NFL defense. So I'll have to see it to believe it.

So I am inclined to think the Falcons defense will be pretty solid this year, but not spectacular - somewhere between 9th and 12th in points scored and total yards.

Pretty solid does not typically mean a Super Bowl contender, but this schedule is so weak, that the Falcons can get to the playoffs. And once you are there, anything can happen.

So, anyway, take all this spewage for what it is worth. Being overly optimistic does no harm to most, but for some of you, I think it makes the disappointment of a loss much worse. So, those are the folks I am trying to help.

And I am here to help.

In general I agree. But here are some thoughts:

1) Offensive line is not talented enough. Need to get better there and I think the front office is working on that. This is really the weak link of the offense. Turner is fine.

2) As of right now, Matt Ryan can't throw deep routes because the line can't give him enough time. That's why they don't throw deep I assume. Again, offensive line problem. Playcaller doesn't have confidence to make the call....?

3)Ryan needs to read defenses and find the open man like he did his first year. Too much concentrating on TG or Roddy. This is not the OC's fault. There should be several options on each play where the QB decides where it should go.

4)By the end of the year, the Defense will be excellent! They will be top 7. Next years draft top pick will be an OL because that's where this team needs the most help.

Edited by mike11571

1) Offensive line is not talented enough. Need to get better there and I think the front office is working on that. This is really the weak link of the offense. Turner is fine.

2) As of right now, Matt Ryan does not have the arm to throw long consistently. His long ball tends to float alot, not enough zip. That's why they don't throw long like everyone wants them to. This should be a main focus for him in the offseason. This may be the reason why the play calling is so conservative.

3)Ryan needs to read defenses and find the open man like he did his first year. Too much concentrating on TG or Roddy. This is not the OC's fault. There should be several options on each play where the QB decides where it should go.

4)By the end of the year, the Defense will be excellent! They will be top 7. Next years draft top pick will be an OL because that's where this team needs the most help.

Every pass does not have to have zip.He had enough arm strength to make the rookie year, whats the problem now? The problem the O is now suited to fit Gonzos skill set

Edited by supremedarius

2) As of right now, Matt Ryan does not have the arm to throw long consistently. His long ball tends to float alot, not enough zip. That's why they don't throw long like everyone wants them to. This should be a main focus for him in the offseason. This may be the reason why the play calling is so conservative.

I might agree with most of your points, but I would never want to pile on.

the O line looked overwhelmed at times yesterday....Mularkey did at half time what he had to and that was roll Matt out of the pocket to buy him some time to throw the football. That eventually helped loosen the Steelers up and helped get the running game going a little bit late in the 4th quarter.

Thats an interesting comment concerning Tony G...that we changed the O to fit him in and in doing so narrowed the focus of the Offense...I understand that he was a immenent threat at the end of last year since roddy was hurt....I think that will change as Roddy looks to be back in full pro bowl form.

I think the whole game plan was predicated on us being able to run the football efectively...I mean the steelers def is good but its not what it used to be. When we couldnt run it the steelers run blitz was just as effective at stopping the running game as it was disruptive in the passing game.

I think its easy to blame Mularkey...but he didnt have much to work with yesterday. We had to resort to a hurry up offense and roll out passes to begin to move the football. Maybe we should of started doing those things sooner.

I am pretty happy with the conditioning of our team they didnt look tired at all and actually I thought the longer it went the better our chances were going to be. Didnt work out that way but its one game and it was the first game the best of the Falcons season is yet to come

I might agree with most of your points, but I would never want to pile on.

As I will repeat, Ryan does not have the strongest arm but he can make all the throws, similar to his rookie year..He can throw the deep ball. Brees doesnt have the strongest arm but can make all the throws..He isnt throwing 60 yard, streak routes...Ryan can make the 30-40 deep yard crossing route or Post route...

I just don't get all the BVG hate around here. Georgia's defense hasn't been the same since he left and our defense is just getting better & better. Curtis Lofton is the best run stopping MLB in the NFL, despite playing behind horribly undersized D linemen.

Yeah man, you just can't compare the college game to the pro game.

Hawaii's offense isn't quite the same since June Jones left, but I'm not wanting him to come back to Atlanta and reinstall the run and shoot.

I just don't get all the BVG hate around here. Georgia's defense hasn't been the same since he left and our defense is just getting better & better. Curtis Lofton is the best run stopping MLB in the NFL, despite playing behind horribly undersized D linemen.

And here I was thinking that I was the only one who noticed...