Ryan Has to Learn to Use Jenkins

Dharma Initiative

In 2008 Ryan went to Jenkins a fair amount. Jenkins was solid and made the clutch catches. He stretched the field and we saw more shots downfield.

Then last year we got Tony Gonzalez and that seemed to change everything. No longer did Ryan look towards Jenkins and often ignored him for Gonzo and Roddy. It's a big reason his INT's went up and completion % went down.

Chris Redman takes over the offense for a couple of games and uses Jenkins plenty. Michael makes most of the catches and we see him use his speed to stretch the field. Twice he beat the Saints' secondary and one pass was just on his finger tips and he hauled in the other. This is his strength and often Ryan tries to dump off the ball before Jenks gets downfield.

I'm hoping this offseason work gives Ryan more confidence to use Jenkins because if he can target him like he did in '08 then the ball will be spread more evenly and I think the offense will be much more effective.

I agree with this (When Jenkins returns).

I wasn't buying this at first, but I'm definitely thinking that Gonzalez is the clear problem here. I think he's using Gonzalez as too much of a crutch. Against the Steelers today, I wish they had taken Gonzalez off the field entirely! The entire first half Ryan was staring down 88.

In 2008 Ryan went to Jenkins a fair amount. Jenkins was solid and made the clutch catches. He stretched the field and we saw more shots downfield.

Then last year we got Tony Gonzalez and that seemed to change everything. No longer did Ryan look towards Jenkins and often ignored him for Gonzo and Roddy. It's a big reason his INT's went up and completion % went down.

Chris Redman takes over the offense for a couple of games and uses Jenkins plenty. Michael makes most of the catches and we see him use his speed to stretch the field. Twice he beat the Saints' secondary and one pass was just on his finger tips and he hauled in the other. This is his strength and often Ryan tries to dump off the ball before Jenks gets downfield.

I'm hoping this offseason work gives Ryan more confidence to use Jenkins because if he can target him like he did in '08 then the ball will be spread more evenly and I think the offense will be much more effective.

???? MJ12 ????? :o I heard that he wasn't a real #2. I was said right here on this board more than once.... ;)

Direct Hit Dharma, If Matt could use MJ like Redmon is able to our offense would finally be what we have been hoping for. Also, Without MJ or another receiver to help stretch the field the safeties get to cover a smaller field.

BTW, how do we have a receiver that is the prototype other teams look for when shopping receivers that we can't figure out how to use???? This is like the Pat's using Moss to block down field for Welker.

Jenkins is better than most people give him credit for. Ryan just needs to go through his progressions and pass the ball to the receiver that is open!

Can we get him some high draft picks or Top FA's on the O-line first? Roddy and gonzo get open the quickest before Ryan takes a hit. Mike needs to either infuse some of our experienced young guys in the starting line up or we need to spend our first 3 picks on offense next year

I agree with this (When Jenkins returns).

I wasn't buying this at first, but I'm definitely thinking that Gonzalez is the clear problem here. I think he's using Gonzalez as too much of a crutch. Against the Steelers today, I wish they had taken Gonzalez off the field entirely! The entire first half Ryan was staring down 88.

Which was really stupid. I got the clear impression that the Steeler gameplan was to take Turner, and Gonzo completely out of the game, with emphasis on not letting him get his 1000th catch. He was doubled all game. Ryan used to spread it around in '08, he has gotten too Gonzalez dependent.