The Good and The Bad

atljbo

Some things i notice

Good

1. Weems look like he is developing into a good 4th wr in the slot.

2. Spoon was out there flying around.

3. I think our pass rushing abilities are much better... Remember.. We wasnt able to fully rush because we had to stay lane discipline vs Dixon . (and was without Babs)

4. I saw flashes of penetration from Peria ( had one tackle but it was a tackle for a loss) ... I want to see how Peria and Peters look mid-way thru the season.

5. Roddy White did his thing

6. Tony is the first tight end in NFL history to catch 1,000 passes in an NFL career

7. Our Defense played pretty good.

8,. I'm glad to see Norwood returning kicks.

9. Lofton, Biermann, and Abes sacks.

10. Mike P's int

Bad

1.The O-line got pushed around in the run game... McClure is not built to match up vs 3-4 NT's.

2. I feel like the offensive play calling played a "safe" game to not make mistakes because they knew dixon was not going to light up the scoreboard.

3.The Defensive missed opportunities... I saw atleast 2 sacks and 3 ints we missed.

4. The refs spotting's were terrible... Thats not the blame for our loss but they were terrible.

5. Mike Smith pulling his Hammy..lol

6. I saw Kroy get blowed up in a couple of running plays (including that OT run) ... I think Kroy will continue to develop but i understand why Coach Smith liked JA98 in the base offense.

7.Matt Ryan didnt do a hard count or change his snap count... The Steelers Defense (especially Harrison) got a good jump on us because they knew our snap count

What i would like to see

1. We have to run the ball effectively... Since we are a run first team... Our offense will stall if we cant run effectively.

2. We have to take more chances trying to create explosive plays... We was able to this game because since the Steelers front 7 stopped the run... Thier safeties wasnt forced to come up... Their safeties stayed deep most of the time.

3. I'm not downing Eric Coleman but i want to see what William Moore can do.... I have no doubt in my mind that Moore would have atleast touched (most likely tackled) Mendenhall on that OT run... We know Colman can come up to the LOS and tackle but When Coleman is asked to tackle in space or man cover in space.... Thats not his ting... He doesnt have the speed to make up for a bad angle taken or to play man coverage.

4.I really like Chris Owens... Dude is going to be a very good CB.

Moving forward, my biggest concern is our OL. They got absolutely mauled today by the Steelers. Also, Ryan has got to stop staring down receivers... he's been doing it from last season and he needs to cut that out!

Ryan definitely has room to improve but I was satisfied (overall) with his performance. He threw it away when he needed to, in the second half he started to throw spread it around, on the other hand like you already said, he has to stop locking in.

When will a coaching staff of the Atlanta Falcons use Jerious Norwood for more than just a carry or two? There were several runs of Turners that I thought could have gone for more yards if it were a faster back in there.

Also, I would much rather see JA98 out there at end for 1st down and short yardage. We have an undersized line and we already know he plays the run well, then use Kroy for everything else.

Moving forward, my biggest concern is our OL. They got absolutely mauled today by the Steelers. Also, Ryan has got to stop staring down receivers... he's been doing it from last season and he needs to cut that out!

Thats what the commentaters were saying, but if you watch the replay back on the int Ryan was looking left all the way up till he threw right.....honestly if he hadda looked right a little more he prob woulda seen troy jumping the route.

For the mostpart I think The D was fairly outstanding for a young group of guys and believe by the end of the first quarter of the season will be much talked about.

As far as the offenses struggles, how long has it been since the steeler def were push overs??????? Imjust saying...

I am definately not happy about the loss but I am not worried yet.

Something else I thought about...Did you notice how well they were timing our snap count.....Do you remember that coming up with recently?

Could there be something the qb coach is teaching, or maybe should be teaching and isn't that could be leading to this repeating problem.

Someone needs to explain you have to change it up! You can't snap at 4 seconds remaining on the play **** every snap!!!!

just using 4 seconds as an example..not sure when it is snapped but obviously it is consistant.

Thats what the commentaters were saying, but if you watch the replay back on the int Ryan was looking left all the way up till he threw right.....honestly if he hadda looked right a little more he prob woulda seen troy jumping the route.

For the mostpart I think The D was fairly outstanding for a young group of guys and believe by the end of the first quarter of the season will be much talked about.

As far as the offenses struggles, how long has it been since the steeler def were push overs??????? Imjust saying...

I am definately not happy about the loss but I am not worried yet.

I agree.. If u look at the play again... Matt Ryan did look off... Troy P just made an outstanding play.... He knew it was going that way.

I want to see Moore. He should have been in. I don't know what Coleman was getting work on when they showed him on the trainers table but he looked gimpy trying to catch Mendenhall.

I love Kroy Beirmann, but I don't want to see anymore threads about how much of a bust JA98 is. After the interception he held his own against the run and was in on every play forcing them to kick. Kroy was JACKED THE F--k UP on the 50 yd TD, Spoon was diving at ankles and Coleman was too slow to catch a cold. I can rant all night about that but I won't.

Roddy White was targeted 24 times. I repeat... Roddy was targeted 24 times for 13 rec. He is an elite WR no doubt, but Douglas was targeted 4 times for 4 rec he was also wide open on the int play. Matt needs to go through his progressions and look for any body who is open. And why cant he challenge a def every once in a while? It's not all on Mularkey because he doesnt push it upfield in the no huddle either.

Just once I'd like us to go Balls out on offense like we used to with Glanville and the run & shoot. I'm sorry but they looked scared out there today. The same way they did against NE. I think they buy into the other teams rep too much.

Edited by controlfreak

You want the bad? Through preseason and game 1 our starting offense still hasn't scored a touchdown.... now THAT is BAD.....

They scored 1 TD in Preseason game 3.

I also think Owens needs to start over Grimes. Owens is a lot more physical and there were too many plays where Grimes got pushed out of the way.

I love Kroy Beirmann, but I don't want to see anymore threads about how much of a bust JA98 is. After the interception he held his own against the run and was in on every play forcing them to kick. Kroy was JACKED THE F--k UP on the 50 yd TD, Spoon was diving at ankles and Coleman was too slow to catch a cold. I can rant all night about that but I won't.

to me this is still a problem that will have to be fixed before this D can make that next big step. We have 2 role players for a LDE. Against a big power team like today Kroy got beat all day (minus a great play for the sack), and JA played well holding the edge and even getting a push causing problems for the run. Against a passing team it will be reversed. A well balanced team just waits until we send our personnel out and can easily change the play on whether JA/Kroy are on the field.

-i think against any other qb our D would have had 4-7 sacks today. there were a few plays where we absolutely had dixon but his mobility got him out of the sack. we didn't even have babs

-secondary looked improved. other than hines ward and ONE PLAY where wallace beat us deep, all the steelers could do was check the ball down on us. dunta and grimes gave up like 2-3 catches each, which was an improvement over last year. last year we would've had about 6 or 7 25-30 yard plays given up. ward only got plays in the slot other than the bad play on dunta.

-i really hope bryant can improve his consistency. i felt good as the game went on, but man he scares me sometimes. it sounds crazy but no superbowl team has won without a good kicker.

-i think ryan played really well. forget the stats, throw them out the window. he had no run game, crappy blocking, he was on the road in one of the most hostile envoirnments in football (on opening day) and he really only made 2-3 mistakes. he was taking what the D gave him and when the blocking broke down he made some amazing plays. i think a couple of those drops from our backs hurt.

-i understand everyone wanted to get TG his 1000 catch, but i feel like the focus to do that took us out of our gameplan early. after we stopped trying to force it we were ok.

-we still have a very solid run D. the steelers came in wanting to run and we stopped them even though we were outmanned. we essentially held mendenhall to 70 yds on 21 carries if it wasn't for that one brain fart play.

-i think a lot of people were underestimating and are underestimating PIT's defense. they've shut down some of the greatest offenses in the NFL and confused the crap out of manning and brady. when healthy, they're the best D in football hands down.

we just need to open up the dome to get this one off our minds.

-i think against any other qb our D would have had 4-7 sacks today. there were a few plays where we absolutely had dixon but his mobility got him out of the sack. we didn't even have babs

-secondary looked improved. other than hines ward and ONE PLAY where wallace beat us deep, all the steelers could do was check the ball down on us. dunta and grimes gave up like 2-3 catches each, which was an improvement over last year. last year we would've had about 6 or 7 25-30 yard plays given up. ward only got plays in the slot other than the bad play on dunta.

-i really hope bryant can improve his consistency. i felt good as the game went on, but man he scares me sometimes. it sounds crazy but no superbowl team has won without a good kicker.

-i think ryan played really well. forget the stats, throw them out the window. he had no run game, crappy blocking, he was on the road in one of the most hostile envoirnments in football (on opening day) and he really only made 2-3 mistakes. he was taking what the D gave him and when the blocking broke down he made some amazing plays. i think a couple of those drops from our backs hurt.

-i understand everyone wanted to get TG his 1000 catch, but i feel like the focus to do that took us out of our gameplan early. after we stopped trying to force it we were ok.

-we still have a very solid run D. the steelers came in wanting to run and we stopped them even though we were outmanned. we essentially held mendenhall to 70 yds on 21 carries if it wasn't for that one brain fart play.

-i think a lot of people were underestimating and are underestimating PIT's defense. they've shut down some of the greatest offenses in the NFL and confused the crap out of manning and brady. when healthy, they're the best D in football hands down.

we just need to open up the dome to get this one off our minds.

I agree.. Thats why i cant wait to see our D next week. We will produce more sacks this year.

Not trying to dog Erik Coleman but 2 (possibly 3) big plays was on him...