Let's revisit a BIG Question from last season.

Faithful Falcon

Link?

Here's a few...

Offensive coordinator Mike Bobo was overall pleased with his unit, but not the amount of points it put up.

“We had enough in the red zone, to come away with six points in three trips, that’s disappointing,” he said.

Bobo was asked about the absence of A.J. Green.

“We’re gonna run our offense. He’s not here,” Bobo said. “I thought our receivers stepped up and did a nice job. You’ve gotta give South Carolina credit, they did a nice job of stopping us.”

Bobo also seemed to stick by the gameplan. Georgia finished the game with 253 yards, 192 of them passing. The Bulldogs averaged just 2.3 yards per rush.

“We felt going into the game that we were gonna play to our strength: The play-action pass and the running game,” Bobo said. “The running game was a little bit inconsistent, but I thought the play-action pass worked well when we used it.

And you wanna protect a guy on the road, you wanna do things to give him confidence. The bottom line (is) we were still in the football game.”

The Bulldogs also burned three quick timeouts, two of them on offense, early in the second half.

“Not good. Not good,” Bobo said. “That happens early in the season, but we’ve got to do a better job of getting the right personnel in the game. … It’s the little things that are gonna cost you on the road. Not converting in the red zone, turnovers, and burning those timeouts.”

I think it's because of loyalty issues. Joe Cox sat for some time waiting for his shot. Stafford left, and Cox became starter by virtue of seniority. If he was pulled for a freshman, I think it would have looked bad on recruiting.

If that was the case Logan Gray would be the QB and Stafford wouldn't have started any his first season.

The bottom line (is) we were still in the football game.

Sorry, Mike, that comment right there alone should get you canned. Our bottom line against South Carolina is NEVER to "be in the ball game". Have you lost your mind? Your job is to score points every time we get the ball. Being "in the ball game" with 6 points in the 4th quarter does not fit the job description, freshman quarterback on the road or otherwise. That's pathetic.

Edited by CalDawg

well i have been told for years bobo stinks at play calling, but i have been willing to give him a chance since he is such a young oc. however it's clear he hasn't improved.

yep, i was patient with him too, figuring, he's young and needs time. but i've seen no improvement, and his ridiculous comments just really irk me. dont think it's the best idea to can him now, but i think cmr needs to step in and do it now.

yep, i was patient with him too, figuring, he's young and needs time. but i've seen no improvement, and his ridiculous comments just really irk me. dont think it's the best idea to can him now, but i think cmr needs to step in and do it now.

I've often wondered how a young man with five kids (or whatever he has) and a young wife could devote himself fully to this position. I want coordinators who eat, sleep, and breathe college football. They get paid a lot of money to devote themselves fully to this job. I have serious doubts that Bobo's family situation is conducive to that kind of complete dedication. The work on the field raises doubt.

Sorry guys, I hate to say this it isn't just Bobo. Saban a great defensive mind, does he just stand by and let Smart run the defense without any input? No, everyone knows it Sabans defense and when its crunch time you can bet is very much involved in the play calling. Its way past time for CMR to GATA. I think he has had more input this season, but maybe its time he takes control of HIS offense. CMR is suppose be the offensive guru we stole away from FSU, now he needs to take control of his offense.

Sorry guys, I hate to say this it isn't just Bobo. Saban a great defensive mind, does he just stand by and let Smart run the defense without any input? No, everyone knows it Sabans defense and when its crunch time you can bet is very much involved in the play calling. Its way past time for CMR to GATA. I think he has had more input this season, but maybe its time he takes control of HIS offense. CMR is suppose be the offensive guru we stole away from FSU, now he needs to take control of his offense.

The problem is that it's the job of the coordinator to spend hours and hours in the film room, studying opponents and devising schemes and plays to take advantage of their schemes and weaknesses. There haven't been that many times where I thought, "Wow Bobo really came up with a great game plan here".

The head coach does not have time to do that. He has too many other responsibilities to the team, the fans, the university, recruits, etc. Richt may call the plays, but ultimately he needs another OC, IMO.

the o shows glimpses of brilliance, then, back to run up the middle that i think we go to way to much in a game. we show that we can do it, and, it's like bobo forgets the plays that were working and go's back to the same ole' same ole'. i think bobo's time in athens maybe getting short.

The problem is that it's the job of the coordinator to spend hours and hours in the film room, studying opponents and devising schemes and plays to take advantage of their schemes and weaknesses. There haven't been that many times where I thought, "Wow Bobo really came up with a great game plan here".

The head coach does not have time to do that. He has too many other responsibilities to the team, the fans, the university, recruits, etc. Richt may call the plays, but ultimately he needs another OC, IMO.

Who put Bobo in that position? I'm not saying anyone needs to be fired, but accountability is important. Richt is the offensive mind and needs to be accountable for the offensive side failures. I don't give rats you know what about Richt and "his responsibilities to the fans", etc, his ultimate responsibility is to win, if he aint doing that then he doesn't need to be wasting his time signing autographs, his butt needs to be in the film room along with in the players face. We need "evil Richt" back from late last season, GATA, I don't give a hoot about you signing autographs and giving speeches when we're having trouble competing with the other teams in our conference.

I know its one loss, I know USC is supposedly a good team, and they looked like a good team, but this is UGA and we're suppose to beat good teams. Yes, we can't jump off the cliff for one game, but we're heading in the wrong direction and its time we get back control of this before we're just another mediocre team, which is what we've been playing like for the 2 seasons.

Edited by Andrew

I don't give rats you know what about Richt and "his responsibilities to the fans", etc, his ultimate responsibility is to win, if he aint doing that then he doesn't need to be wasting his time signing autographs, his butt needs to be in the film room along with in the players face.

You have to live in the real world. Every head coach in America has a wide range of responsibilities that must be met. Head coaches must serve as an interface to the public, for fund raising, pr, etc, etc., and they all do it, win or lose. The head coach at a major university does not have the luxury of refusing that responsibility. Richt may need to hire another coordinator, but whether he does or not, he can't devote his time fully to game planning. If that's what your hoping for, or demanding, it's not going to happen.

Edited by CalDawg

You have to live in the real world. Every head coach in America has a wide range of responsibilities that must be met. Head coaches must serve as an interface to the public, for fund raising, pr, etc, etc., and they all do it, win or lose. The head coach at a major university does not have the luxury of refusing that responsibility. Richt may need to hire another coordinator, but whether he does or not, he can't devote his time fully to game planning. If that's what your hoping for, or demanding, it's not going to happen.

I agree. Richt needs to hire someone who is a full fledged OC and let them go. Him hiring Bobo to begin with showed that Richt still has his fingers all in the offense. Bobo is nothing more than a play caller working off a sheet with Richts plays on it. IMO...Richts Florida State offense is too risky and aggressive to run in the SEC. It might of worked when he was at FSU with superior talent, but it just isn't going to win big games on a consistant basis in the SEC. Besides, everyone has it figured out that has a decent defense.

Richt needs to let the offense go so he can concentrate on the overall team. Saban did it with Kirby Smart...Richt can too.

I agree. Richt needs to hire someone who is a full fledged OC and let them go. Him hiring Bobo to begin with showed that Richt still has his fingers all in the offense. Bobo is nothing more than a play caller working off a sheet with Richts plays on it. IMO...Richts Florida State offense is too risky and aggressive to run in the SEC. It might of worked when he was at FSU with superior talent, but it just isn't going to win big games on a consistant basis in the SEC. Besides, everyone has it figured out that has a decent defense.

Richt needs to let the offense go so he can concentrate on the overall team. Saban did it with Kirby Smart...Richt can too.

I agree a full fledged OC could be a positive, depending on who we get, but I disagree that this is Richt's offense we're running, or that it's too risky. I think Bobo is actually drawing up these plays, and I don't see much ingenuity in the playbook or the play calling. I certainly don't think we're being too aggressive for the SEC. That's not what cost us the game today, more likely too sheltering of a young but very talented quarterback (along with some very poor tackling).

The sad thing is that we advertised all summer that we wanted to make sure Murray played it safe, above all else, so South Carolina was setting dead on red for this game plan today.

Edited by CalDawg

Come on...everyone knows that isn't Smarts defense and thats my point. Saban is very hands on with that side of the ball because hes the expert.