I'm Pleasantly Surprised

rightsaidfred

I will agree that the better team won. And that a win is a win. No disrespect to the Vikes intended.

But the Saints did not look as good as I expected them to. It is the first game of the season, and I guess there's still a lot of tuning up to do and rhythm to build. Probably, the Falcons will experience the same thing.

Still, I was pretty unimpressed.

P.S.: Put me down for a -1 on the new look on the board. It's a little something we like to call: NOT GOOD :angry:

Edited by rightsaidfred

I wasn't overly impressed with the Saints last night since we left some pts out there and didn't finish some drives, and generally had a few more breakdowns than we're use to seeing but, as a Saints fan, I am very encouraged by what went on beyond this. The O-line played really well against a pretty good front 7, the CB play was very good, and I thought the tackling was fantastic after the first few series' when the Saints seemed preoccupied with stripping the ball from Peterson before he was sufficiently corralled.

These 3 things are very encouraging since I'm pretty sure the offense will not only click better on most weeks than they did last night but, may be better than ever.

If the Saints stay hungry and can at least match the intensity of the teams on their schedule who have them circled, it looks like another very good year for N.O.

As I watched this game, the first thing that jumped out to me was Malcolm Jenkins flying around. I wonder if Sharper is gonna start rehabbing with more voracity at this point. Also,Favre looks like a scared old man back there without Sidney Rice. Maybe he should have waffled and then shown up a couple of weeks earlier.

P.S. still hate the Taints

The passing game will come around. There is no doubt about that. What impressive was that the Saints ran the ball well on the Vikes D when we wanted to. Especially during the last 5:30 mins of the game, the Vikes expected us to run but couldn't stop it

This offense will end up better that last year's version

As for our D, it looked promising last night eventhough the Vikes O was very limited

I've said this a number of times, the Saints offense wasn't unimpressive, they missed on a ton of key opportunities.

The offensive run numbers weren't spectacular, but once we got into a rythmn we proved we could run the ball on a very good Vikings run defense.

We also showed that we can still pass the football and have what seems like hundreds of weapons.

The thing that WAS unimpressive was the drops and missed kicks. Meachem, Henderson, Colston, Hartley I'm looking at you. Those guys make those catches and kicks and it's a blowout. No doubt that will get fixed though, and the Saints will be as dangerous as ever.

I will agree that the better team won. And that a win is a win. No disrespect to the Vikes intended.

But the Saints did not look as good as I expected them to. It is the first game of the season, and I guess there's still a lot of tuning up to do and rhythm to build. Probably, the Falcons will experience the same thing.

Still, I was pretty unimpressed.

P.S.: Put me down for a -1 on the new look on the board. It's a little something we like to call: NOT GOOD :angry:

There were mistakes on both sides. Mostly by us. But over all, it's was two defenses that helped make the offenses look rusty and sluggish. A lot of people are trying to discredit the defenses saying that the offenses didn't play well. As for me, I'm not the least bit concerned with the saints. In fact I was very encouraged by our defensive play.

So what your really saying is the offense was not good or made a lot of mistakes. That doesn't bode well for the #1 offense. That would put a lot of pressure on a defense that is like fragile crystal, lose a player or two and you fall to the 25th ranking. Stay healthy and they can play at the 15-20 ranking IMO.

What I'm saying is we played well enough on offense to match our prediction from the past few seasons, but three key drops really limited us points wise and yards wise. Those balls are caught and your looking at 35 points. Shows you how close the NFL is between putting up 10 points and 40 points. Those drops don't bother me one bit, because those Saints recievers are sure handed. Meachem didn't have a drop all last season, Colston is known for having great hands, and Devery has really developed into a sure handed reciever.

Those drops were more a fluke or first game rust/gitters more than anything. They'll be fixed. Anyone who is even slightly worried about the Saints offense is slightly on the insane side.

Edited by nolafan33

nola, while I agree with what your saying, doesn't that happen to a lot of NFL teams? That's what separates them from the good, average, mediocre, and awful teams right? I think the saints will have a good offense, but the way you have used the drops and yardage complaint, it sounds like whining, excuses, or would've, should've, and could'ves. What category are you putting yourself in?

You would say this about us if we had an offensive game like the saints had, 'yeah but, you only scored 14 points', that's what you would say!

I'll be the first to admit, and I even nearly put it in my post, it is woulda, coulda, shoulda. BUT, you know that the Saints recievers won't continue to drop open passes. You don't go four years of sure handed recievers and then in the fifth all of a sudden they can't catch a cold, that just doesn't happen and isn't logical. IDK, it's hard to put it into words. Hopefully you have an idea of what I'm trying to say. You know what your going to get from the Saints offense. I guess what I'm trying to say is that you know what the Saints offense will do this season, and it won't be putting up 14 points and dropping 3 passes.

Like I said earlier though, if you think the Saints offense will only average 21 points per game and 300 yards per game on the season, your insane. They'll be up in that 30 point, 400 yards per game category again. If those drops happened to some other teams, maybe there would be cause for concern. Not with the Saints though, because once again you know what you'll get from them per game.

You really seem to be grasping for straws here nola. Sounds like a lot of excuses are being made. I think the saints offense will be productive but the fact is they really were not exceptional Thursday night. You really do not know what anyone will keep doing because nothing is a given in the NFL On another note, where did I say or think what I enboldened in your statement? I never said what they would or wouldn't do as far as point or yards. Those are your words not mine.

Excuses? Your urge to label everything a rival fan says as an "excuse" is almost as embarrassing as your love affair for Reggie.

If it wasn't for uncharacteristic (as in they rarely happen and your not likely to see that many drops in good game conditions again) dropped passes we're not even holding this conversation. Simple as that. As in it's not an excuse for the 14 points, it's a reason they only put 14 points on the board. You should know that the chances of the Saints recievers dropping passes and the offense only putting up 14 points again is slim to none. Without the drops we're looking at a 30+ points game for the offense (once again I'm allowed to say that because the Saints rarely drop passes, #1 in the league last year). Actually, if you really believe what you said in your last post we shouldn't even be holding this conversation at all.

Edited by nolafan33