What were the last three books you read?

falcon_bob

A little twist on the normal "What are you reading right now" threads. I'm always looking for new things to read and I usually come away with good suggestions after one of these...

Here's mine:

Journey to the Center of the Earth - Jules Verne

The Time Machine - HG Wells

Dexter by Design - Jeff Lindsay

My problem is I will start 5 or 6 books at once and just get lost. And plus often I am " reading" art instruction or music instruction books or some type of nature guide. But of the biographies or other books, the last three would probably be

1. Jackson Pollock An American Saga:Steven Naifeh/Gregory Smith

2.Your God is too small: Mark Buchanan

3. The greatest secret in the world Og Mandino.

And it seems I always have collections of short horror stories going. I have these old "Alfred Hitchcock Presents:" collections of ghost, horror, mystery and monster stories that I picked up whenever I saw them.

My problem is I will start 5 or 6 books at once and just get lost. And plus often I am " reading" art instruction or music instruction books or some type of nature guide. But of the biographies or other books, the last three would probably be

1. Jackson Pollock An American Saga:Steven Naifeh/Gregory Smith

2.Your God is too small: Mark Buchanan

3. The greatest secret in the world Og Mandino.

And it seems I always have collections of short horror stories going. I have these old "Alfred Hitchcock Presents:" collections of ghost, horror, mystery and monster stories that I picked up whenever I saw them.

Not to mention:

Civil War

Secret Invasion

Dark Avengers

or the other 3 hundred million spin-offs that catch the eye....

Not to mention:

Civil War

Secret Invasion

Dark Avengers

or the other 3 hundred million spin-offs that catch the eye....

Same way, But I wish I could retain more deeply what I read. I have a friend that reads one book at a time and reads very slowly and he is always whining he wants to read faster. But I told him " you retain EVERY thing, be proud and happy" I will hit Goodwill or yard sales and pick up 10-20 books at a time, like an addiction. If I am reading something I want to make sure I retain, like history, I will make an outline along with the book as I go. But I do need to par down the list I have going all at once.

To me, the idea we have these ideas that people wrote down over thousands of years right up to yesterday is fascinating, all at our fingertips.It's like, I can know anything anyone else has ever known, or think anything anyone has ever thought.

Business Etiquette : 101 Ways to Conduct Business with Charm and Savvy by Ann Sabath

The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen Covey

and I have forgotten the title of the third but it was an interesting business book written by one of the original creators of styrofoam who was raised in Huntsville.

Business Etiquette : 101 Ways to Conduct Business with Charm and Savvy by Ann Sabath

and I have forgotten the title of the third but it was an interesting business book written by one of the original creators of styrofoam who was raised in Huntsville.

WTF? I just oposted I hadn't seen you in a while. :lol: Am I drunk maybe?

Are these books so good that they've kept you away?! Nice to see ya Flip!

Great book! Cormac McCarthy is awesome. The Road was depressing as all h3ll...but it was fantastic.

I blew through The Road in a day, but really had a hard time getting through Blood Meridian. I probably stopped and started that thing 5 times over the course of two months and that is REALLY saying something for me. I don't know exactly what it was about it, but I never really got into it until the last third of the book and then it went by in a flash. After I finished it I couldn't help but read up on the historical references and philosophical debates, but I just never could get into it for the first 2/3s!

I blew through The Road in a day, but really had a hard time getting through Blood Meridian. I probably stopped and started that thing 5 times over the course of two months and that is REALLY saying something for me. I don't know exactly what it was about it, but I never really got into it until the last third of the book and then it went by in a flash. After I finished it I couldn't help but read up on the historical references and philosophical debates, but I just never could get into it for the first 2/3s!

I actually had the exact same experience reading it. "Blood Meridian" and "The Silmarillion" are the only two books I've ever read that I didn't realize how much I enjoyed them until they were finished.

The Time Machine-Wells

The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin-Franklin

Mad to Stick: Why Some Ideas Survive and Others Die

I am currently reading Breakfast at Tiffany's, Animal Farm and The Road to Serfdom. The first two are part of a speed reading program that I am following because I recently discovered that I read at a pathetic rate.