Hole in depth chart

Rock Howard

If the game comes down to a 50+ yard FG it is my opinion that Bryant does not have the leg for that. Koenen does, and even though his accuracy is erratic, I would rather give him a shot since at least he has a chance to make the distance. (BTW, if you think that Bryant is OK at 50 yards, then at what distance, if any, would you switch to Koenen as the emergency long distance option?)

One problem is that Koenen is the normal holder on FG and PATs. To make me feel more confident that the team is on top of this scenario, I would like the depth chart to specify Koenen as the backup FG kicker and also specify a backup holder. If he hadn't gotten hurt I would have nominated Kerry Meier for the position of backup holder, but since he is gone I am guessing it will have to be one of the QBs. Which, if any, of our QBs have done any holding. Did MR do that at BC?

I sure hope this weekend's game doesn't come down to a long kick, but chances are pretty good that it might.

Nobody has kicked a field goal longer than 50 yards in Heinz Field history, so I would suspect the Falcons would go for a first down rather than depend on a long field goal attempt, depending on the time remaining of course. This is especially true if they are moving toward the open end of the stadium. The wind does tricky things there, and you can't depend on the goalpost flags for an accurate indication of direction and velocity.

You're joking, right? :huh:

Mostly. I always post about this type of emergency scenario sometime before each season starts. It gets me into the coaching / game planning mindset and tends to bring out some creative comments. Imagine my surprise last year when some of these emergency scenarios actually played out. I would never have guessed about Bierman's secret skillz!

The Holders shpuld be the BU QB's

JPW should be the holder due to the knees alone.

On a botched snap he will be more agile (knees)

and have a better chance to just run it out of bounds.

As the 3rd QB, JPW will not be able to be the holder. If he comes in the game, then neither Ryan or Redman can come back in at QB. He can only be activated if Ryan and Redman both go down.