The Loser’s Mentality

Falcon Freddie

The Falcons are rated the third best team in the NFL – as of yesterday (Sep. 7) in the opinion of Pete Prisco of CBS Sports.com.

List: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/13897416/nfl-power-rankings-start-of-a-silverblack-revival

OK, I’m well aware that the ranking and $4.50 will get you a latte at Starbucks. All rankings like Prisco’s are simply a way for a sportswriter to fill an article and a deadline, with no real significance. However, at least at the beginning of this season one noted sportswriter of a fairly prominent media outlet has come out saying he thinks highly of the Falcons. Why not just say “thank you” and accept it for what it is? Instead, many posters seem to receive a perverse satisfaction in denouncing this ranking as “too high”, “not realistic”, and with even more graphic phases.

A significant percentage of posters on this board have what I would describe as a “loser’s mentality”. They have become so conditioned to seeing the Falcons in the lower half of the standings that today they really can’t conceive of the Falcons being anything other than second rate. To them, the future is a horror.

Yes, the Atlanta Falcons’ history is, to put it kindly, not quite as storied as some other franchises in the NFL, but what’s past is past. There isn’t a game this 2010 season I am willing to concede to any of the Falcons’ opponents.

How many of you smirked after reading that last sentence? Do you believe this season’s Falcons don’t stand a chance when they meet the Saints, the Niners, the Ravens, the Packers, or some other team on the schedule? Yes, the Falcons will almost undoubtedly lose some of their games – every team since the 1971 Dolphins have. However, none of these possible losses are preordained.

Prisco’s #3 ranking is too high? If you think of yourself as a Falcons fan, if not for the “loser’s mentality” why would you hold so? After all, any of the other teams that are lower on Prisco’s list which you would rank higher have their own issues.

The Falcons are rated the third best team in the NFL – as of yesterday (Sep. 7) in the opinion of Pete Prisco of CBS Sports.com.

List: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/13897416/nfl-power-rankings-start-of-a-silverblack-revival

OK, I’m well aware that the ranking and $4.50 will get you a latte at Starbucks. All rankings like Prisco’s are simply a way for a sportswriter to fill an article and a deadline, with no real significance. However, at least at the beginning of this season one noted sportswriter of a fairly prominent media outlet has come out saying he thinks highly of the Falcons. Why not just say “thank you” and accept it for what it is? Instead, many posters seem to receive a perverse satisfaction in denouncing this ranking as “too high”, “not realistic”, and with even more graphic phases.

A significant percentage of posters on this board have what I would describe as a “loser’s mentality”. They have become so conditioned to seeing the Falcons in the lower half of the standings that today they really can’t conceive of the Falcons being anything other than second rate. To them, the future is a horror.

Yes, the Atlanta Falcons’ history is, to put it kindly, not quite as storied as some other franchises in the NFL, but what’s past is past. There isn’t a game this 2010 season I am willing to concede to any of the Falcons’ opponents.

How many of you smirked after reading that last sentence? Do you believe this season’s Falcons don’t stand a chance when they meet the Saints, the Niners, the Ravens, the Packers, or some other team on the schedule? Yes, the Falcons will almost undoubtedly lose some of their games – every team since the 1971 Dolphins have. However, none of these possible losses are preordained.

Prisco’s #3 ranking is too high? If you think of yourself as a Falcons fan, if not for the “loser’s mentality” why would you hold so? After all, any of the other teams that are lower on Prisco’s list which you would rank higher have their own issues.

Good post. +1

Great point and great post. Honestly how can you blame most though? We have been through a roller coaster ride since '98, ****, since '91, and had a decade of pure **** before that. Last season was a slight let down after '08. If we come out big this season, next pre-season you will see the tide turn.

Sorry you feel that way. Myself, and I can only speak for myself, believe that rankings

submitted prior to one down being played are at best, a crap shoot. It not about the

Falcons being ranked 3rd, 29th, whatever, it's about the uncertainity with injuries,

performance of FA acquitions, rookies, etc. The same can be said about any team.

Another thing, why would label posters who say 3rd is a bit high as ppl with loser

mentalities?

There's mentality and then there's reality. I think most people are think realistically there are more established teams such as the Pats, Colts, Saints, Packers, etc. that might be considered better at this point in the season. But as we all know players get hurt, teams fail to reach their potential so I understand your mentality but you can't fault people for being realistic. You also have to realize that people are pointing out that this is just one mans point of view and that doesn't mean much. Results mean everything.

I truly believe that the Falcons CAN beat any team in the NFL. Period.

Now...........having said that, DOING it is a bit different than believing you can do it.

The single biggest thing a franchise like the Falcons have to overcome is a 40+ year history of mediocrity and misery. It's a weight that NOBODY in the present regime should have to bear, and they probably don't in their day to day existance BUT it's always there, the sad reminder of that past.

Now, coupled with the miserable history is the referees reaction and response to it. I think it's subliminal but it's also REAL. Very real. Every time a Falcon CB is covering an opponent WR the refs have their hand on a yellow flag ready to keep the tradition flowing. It's really really tough to braek out of this quicksand but breakout of it they will.

This Sunday will be another illustration of it.

Falcons 23

Steelers 17

Rankings are a reflection of what the media thinks, and they vary. It is nice to hear Atlanta get some media love despite the history. But really rankings are for the NCAA to keep teams like Boise ST out of the BCS and they could rank us 33 and it doesn't mean crap. In the NFL it is about the last gladiator standing to hoist the Lombardi Trophy. So just win baby! Just win!

The power rankings that have the Falcons ranked as high as number 3 or higher should be given the same weight as the rankings that have the Falcons in the middle of the pack.

None. Zilch. Nada.

Journalists are just there to provide us some written entertainment.

These guys know about as much about football as the average AFMB poster, but they know even less about the Falcons.

We can beat anyone in this league. We are capable of winning the Super Bowl. The Saints did it with a below average defense and an average running game.

You might want to check your facts. The Saints running game ranked #6 in the NFL. Go look it up if you don't believe me. Wrap your mind around that, a primarily PASSING team, with the 6th best rushing attack.