Depth chart: Biermann, Spoon have won starting spots

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm stunned that Nicholas lost his job. He was and is a quality starter, significantly better than Mike Peterson.

Are we perhaps seeing some signs of favoritism from Mike Smith to Mike P.? Nicholas is significantly faster, longer, and much better in coverage and blitzing. We dont' get nearly the overall improvement in lbr speed that we would have if Weatherspoon was replacing Peterson. Giving that Nicholas was our best coverage backer, isn't this more of just a wash? WHy take a guy in the 1st to produce a wash at that position?

Actually I think I understand what is happening with Nicholas. I see it as:

1.) The coaching staff like Weatherspoon as a SLB instead of WLB thru what they saw in preseason and practice.

2.) They rather put Nicholas at WLB instead of SLB so they put in Weatherspoon so he can gain some experience and get better.

3.) Nicholas is very vital to our Special Teams. Peterson not so much.

I honestly think they talked this over with Nicholas and we will see Nicholas contribute more than most think. His contribution will come on ST and special packages on defense. Remember he got popular with the fanbase when he would come in on special packages and do what he does best, rush the passer.

Actually I think I understand what is happening with Nicholas. I see it as:

1.) The coaching staff like Weatherspoon as a SLB instead of WLB thru what they saw in preseason and practice.

2.) They rather put Nicholas at WLB instead of SLB so they put in Weatherspoon so he can gain some experience and get better.

3.) Nicholas is very vital to our Special Teams. Peterson not so much.

I honestly think they talked this over with Nicholas and we will see Nicholas contribute more than most think. His contribution will come on ST and special packages on defense. Remember he got popular with the fanbase when he would come in on special packages and do what he does best, rush the passer.

Peterson can not take most of the snaps. They are going to have to sub him out regularly. There's no reason to wear him out early when we have two perfectly capable starter without him.

Cant say that Nicholas losing the starting spot is much of a shock to me, not that i dont like him or anything like that. i expect he will get rotated in alot, and be on special teams alot too. Mike P was great early on last year and then faded a bit toward the end, a good rotation with the LBs should help prevent that this time around. He may even end up getting back into the starting lineup later on in the year.

Expect alot of rotation at more positions than just Dline this year i think.

Peterson can not take most of the snaps. They are going to have to sub him out regularly. There's no reason to wear him out early when we have two perfectly capable starter without him.

Oh I agree. Nicholas still needs to get some more game experience as well. He will sub in for Pete and he will come in on special pass rush packages.

I agree because this is Peterson's last year so two things will happen:

1.) Nicholas will take over for him and he will be subbed in regularly

2.) Nicholas is not taking over and we will be picking up a LB in the offseason (draft/Free Agency)

I personally see the first option happening but this FO see and know more than me, so I could be surprised.

I think they'll do the same thing they'll do with Anderson/biermann- Anderson and Peterson will play mainly run downs, Biermann and Nicholas will play passing downs.

So wait, Jamaal was a failue at DE and everyone said he was a good DT. but according to this he isn't a top 5 DT (gotta assume Babineaux would be ahead of him on there)

Smitty has said multiple times that he is still listed as a DE. So he is a DE. He comes in at DT on special packages.

Same thing happened with Justin Tuck for the Giants before he made the switch. He was listed as a DE on the depth chart, but still played DT.

The only way i can understand it is that Owens physicality is needed at the NB position.

that makes little sense, since slot receivers seem typically smallish to me. which makes me doubly surprised, since this is something that would seemingly be grimes' niche. He is going to have a HUGE bullseye on him. I guess the staff felt he was better in coverage, but his coverage didn't seem to me markedly better than Owens'. I think he's riding the coattails of his INT's last year, but if he falters Owens will get his shot.

I like it. Thought I thought Spoon was going to take Peterson's spot. I also see Grimes won the LCB starting spot for now.

Nicholas might be out of a job next year if he doesn't watch out.

Nicholas will not be out of a job.

If spoon isn't going to be the long term answer for peterson's spot, nicholas is. Both him and spoon are extremely versatile and they could honestly play both WLB and SLB effectively.

Our LB corps for the next five years will be spoon nic and lofton ;)

+1. Great thread. Kudos to the coach for rewarding players based upon performance, hard work and effort instead of draft status. I think in the long run the Falcon orginization hurt Jamaal's maturation by awarding him starting status based upon his draft status and contract. I don't think there is anyone on this board that would make the argument that Jamaal should have been the starter his first year. Davis clearly was the better player. That is the same year that Abe said Jamaal refused to listen to the vets.

I love Spoon as well. The guy got some jets. I would love to see him knock Reggie Bush out when he tries to catch a pass in the flat.

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p50/dawkins2026/sheldonclip1.gif

Edited by TurnNBurn33

The best way to evaluate this is to evaluate it in Feb 2011.

The questions are who are our best:

RDT - Trey or Babineaux (yeah we play Babs at RDT when Peria is playing)?

LDT - Peria, Corey or Busterson?

LDE - The Beer Man or the Busterson?

SLB - Spoon or Nic?

WLB - Pete or Nic?

LCB - Grimes, Owens or BWill?

SS - Coleman or WillyMo?

Pop your popcorn folks. The 2010 defense will be fun.

Good post.

Three questions:

Is there a link somewhere for this? I looked all over and and could not find anything.

Seems like that equals 54 players. Did I count wrong?

Who will be demoted when Babs comes back?

Biermann is actually listed twice, starting DE and as the 3rd option for kicking...LOL

Edited by chazmataz