Practice squad Life

FalconPio

Does this sound like a gig for you? Then you, my recently cut-by-an-NFL-team friend, are ready to become part of an NFL practice squad. The league has been putting together their practice squads Sunday after final cuts came Saturday evening, and each team will sign eight free agents to theirs. Practice squad players will make a minimum of $5,200 per week as long as on they're on an NFL roster, and they can be signed by another team if that team intends to move them to the active roster. While on the practice squad, a player will take place in all weekly activities (practice, film, meals, training, etc,), but are not allowed to play in games.

Quite often in practice, they're on the squad teams, and are responsible for simulating opposing players for the next week's game. If you see a guy on the field with the normal shorts and shells, and a mesh pullover with a jersey number that isn't his, that's a practice squad player.

"You can't play the depth chart game, the roster game," Miami Dolphins running back Lex Hilliard(notes) told the Flathead Beacon in March of this year. "If you try to do that it, will drive you nuts. You just go out and play."Hilliard spent his first full NFL season on Miami's practice squad after being selected in the sixth round of the 2008 NFL draft. "I prided myself in going out there and making the first-string guys better."

And that's what practice squad guys have to do - make the first-teamers better. If they do it well enough, and long enough, they might get a bump themselves. Hilliard is now a productive member of the Dolphins' running back rotation and special teams units. Here are five members of this year's practice squad club who could find a way to stand out and rise up through the ranks:

The Whole article

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Practice-squad-players-do-unheralded-work-for-go?urn=nfl-267513

Interesting little tid bit. Just thought I would share B)

Edited by FalconPio

Practice squad players are what they are and usually don't get any repect. And no they are not on the gameday roster, but in the underlying scheme of things they can be very important to the sucess of a team. These guys can develop and contribute and pehaps just one injury away from the practice squad and getting called up.

Practice squad players are what they are and usually don't get any repect. And no they are not on the gameday roster, but in the underlying scheme of things they can be very important to the sucess of a team. These guys can develop and contribute and pehaps just one injury away from the practice squad and getting called up.

$5200 per week is pretty good money. That would put you in the Upper Income Class of this country. Way more than enought to live comfortably on.

EXACTLY & EXACTLY

Quite often in practice, they're on the squad teams, and are responsible for simulating opposing players for the next week's game.

"I prided myself in going out there and making the first-string guys better."

And that's what practice squad guys have to do - make the first-teamers better. If they do it well enough, and long enough, they might get a bump themselves.

Reminds me of this guy:

MV5BMjIzODg5NTY0M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNTM4NTgwMw@@._V1._CR0,0,1361,1361_SS90_.jpg

"Rudy, Rudy, Rudy...."

$5200 per week is pretty good money. That would put you in the Upper Income Class of this country. Way more than enought to live comfortably on.

But isn't that just during the regular season? Still decent money, but if they have to live off of it all year, then it averages out to $1,600 per week on an annualized basis. Although I'm sure they get something during the off-season and preseason as long as they are on the roster, even if it's substantially less than $5k per week.

I would imagine if they remain on a team all year long they still pull in a couple hundred grand a year.

But isn't that just during the regular season? Still decent money, but if they have to live off of it all year, then it averages out to $1,600 per week on an annualized basis. Although I'm sure they get something during the off-season and preseason as long as they are on the roster, even if it's substantially less than $5k per week.

I would imagine if they remain on a team all year long they still pull in a couple hundred grand a year.

$1600 per week. Still not bad money, not great but not bad. That's $83K per year (before taxes).

I make about $65k (before taxes).

Edited by The Falcon Jedi

[/quote

Most likely depends how the contract is structured. Length of time etc. If it specifically states that they are off it after the last game of the regular season...yada,yada,yada, then there would be clauses where if the team plays into the postseason and how far they go. Still not a bad gig. It would truly bring out the best in them to work at 110% during their time on the PS to get to the level where the team wants them to be. I for one am satisfied with the PS members they offered to.

In the scheme of things, I think we may see some changes once suspensions are served, then of course, God forbid any injuries to the 1st string players...

You also have to include all the perks and thing too that come with that. They get free food after practices from the buffet at flowery branch. Free gym from their facilities. Free tickets to Falcon games. That's not a bad deal at all.

$5200 X 16 = $83,200 per year.

He's saying they only get paid $5200/week during the actual season.

So by that math they would average out to $1600/week all year. Which is still not bad. People live on a lot less comfortably.

IT's still $83,200 per year. that's what it is $1600 per WEEK

1600/5 = 320 per day = 40 per hour (8hr)

$5200 X 16 = $83,200 per year.

There's also the bye week (so should be 17) plus the potential for playoffs, which would add at least another 3 weeks min & of course possibly more if they advance. Plus they certainly get paid for training camp & preseason. These guys easily make upwards of $150k+ on top of free room & board/meals as I assume they stay in the dorms at FB.

I mean, yeah $83,200 per year means you're not going to be flying around in private jets, clubbing every night, across the country during the off-season, like the rest of the starting team can afford to do, but you can live quietly and pretty well within those means.

probably a good thing if they want to step up a level and make the team! haha

There's also the bye week (so should be 17) plus the potential for playoffs, which would add at least another 3 weeks min & of course possibly more if they advance. Plus they certainly get paid for training camp & preseason. These guys easily make upwards of $150k+ on top of free room & board/meals as I assume they stay in the dorms at FB.

I know the roster players from 09 do NOT get paid for the 10 preseason but do not know about the rest of the 80 man squad

It's 5,200.00 for 17 weeks. Not as much as it sounds. There are many on these forums making more than that. It's 88k per year, with taxes taken out you're lucky to walk away with 58k per year. Some practice squad players are given larger contracts if the team thinks that an opposing team will sign them, or they see future value in the player.

No, they only get paid during the regular season. That being said, teams do not have to pay them he minimum.

For example, TB thought so much of Dezmond Briscoe that they offered to pay him a full NFL salary to be on their practice squad, squashing the Bengals plans to add him to the practice squad.

It is 17 weeks as they get paid for the bye week too according to league rules. They also get some pay during training camp and so they are looking at about $100,000 a season which is not so great considering the wear and tear on the body. The only thing that makes it worthwhile is the chance to get promoted to the active roster where the more serious dollars dwell.

Most of these guys are developmental and have a big upside. Every year 2-3 guys are signed off the practice squad to play. Not to mention the advantage next year. They learn the plays, they workout and they have the eye and ear of the coaching staff.