YOU KNOW WHATS SAD---

ATLballer

I have read threads about us maybe being a superbowl contender and having a record somewhere between 10-6 all the way to 14-2.. That we have a real chance to bring home the trophy..

but now some on here are concern about the very first game with a 3rd string QB..I understand its the Defense that you're worried about and not the offense. So how are the Falcons a real SB contender and have a real chance of losing to the Steelers..

Lets take a team that really is a SB contender and flip it around..If the Falcons were playing with(2nd string-3rd string would probably not be a contest)redman against the Patriots...Do you think they would worry about losing to us..

Not only should the Falcons win but if this is a REAL SB contender it shouldnt even be close

I think the biggest thing to remember is never underestimate a team like the Steelers. I absolutely believe that we should go in there and win. But I also don't think for a second that they won't be ready for us. 3rd string QB and all. I do think that this situation should give us some advantages and now we just need to see if our team can take advantage.

Half of the league are going to be losers week 1. There are going to be a few Superbowl contenders in the loss column. Matter of fact there are going to be a lot of playoff type atmoshpere's for a lot of the openers.

The problem I think lies in the fact that we havn't really been consistant as a football team and we havn't learned how to thump our chests properly. Its a little new to us.

i don't know about the it shouldn't even be close part (it's hard to pile on points on the steelers because their D is just that good) but i do agree that we should win, no ifs and or buts about it.

Yeah, that's the thing I think everybody is worried about. The Steelers are known for being very very stingy with points. They aren't exactly known for being a revolving door of a defense. I'm not personally worried about this game. Ben IS their offense. He is just the heart and soul of that O.... without him, they are a second tier team. I dont care how good Polamalu is, he cant be at every single point on that field, every second (even though it seems like he is). Their LB core is slightly aged, they lost a few offensive linemen over the past couple of years, which will give our DLine good opportunity to create some good pressure. We will win. It wont be pretty but I think it'll be by about 10 points or so. Call it homer all you want.

I think we have a great coaching staff, but you never know how your team will come out, especially the 1st game of the year, and on top of that, it's an away game. But I DO like the fact that we can definitely say we have the more talented football team. How many times can we Falcons fans remember saying we had a better team than the Steelers? Gotta love what DT, Smith and the rest of the staff have done here.

Half of the league are going to be losers week 1. There are going to be a few Superbowl contenders in the loss column. Matter of fact there are going to be a lot of playoff type atmoshpere's for a lot of the openers.

The problem I think lies in the fact that we havn't really been consistant as a football team and we havn't learned how to thump our chests properly. Its a little new to us.

Therefore, it is time to Rise Up!

I am actually one of the people who doesn't think this team will be a Super Bowl contender, but either way, it won't be determined this week.

The 98 Falcons started their season squeeking out two wins against the Panthers and the Eagles, two teams that combined to go 7-25 in that season.

I remember in 2003 when the Bills stomped the Patriots 31-0 on opening day and everybody, including me, thought the Patriots were over. On the last day of the year, they returned the 31-0 *ss whipping to the Bills and finished 14-2, while the Bills finished 6-10. Then, of course, the Patriots went on to win th Super Bowl.

So, even if the Falcons get their tail kicked next Sunday, I think they should try hard for the remainder of the season, you know, just in case.

I have read threads about us maybe being a superbowl contender and having a record somewhere between 10-6 all the way to 14-2.. That we have a real chance to bring home the trophy..

but now some on here are concern about the very first game with a 3rd string QB..I understand its the Defense that you're worried about and not the offense. So how are the Falcons a real SB contender and have a real chance of losing to the Steelers..

Lets take a team that really is a SB contender and flip it around..If the Falcons were playing with(2nd string-3rd string would probably not be a contest)redman against the Patriots...Do you think they would worry about losing to us..

Not only should the Falcons win but if this is a REAL SB contender it shouldnt even be close

I completely agree. I actually posted in another topic that I don't think this will be close at all. 27-3 Falcons. This is a sure win...

My only concern is the offense. Will they be able to put points on the board and not stall past the 50-yard line? That's all I want to know. I'm confident the defense will give the Steelers ****, but it's the offense I'm not so sure about. We have to be consistent in finishing drives with touchdowns. If the offense struggles, it's going to be a nail-biter.

I hope I'm wrong, but I don't see the offense marching up and down the field against the Steelers. I mean, this is a great defense the Falcons are playing. They struggled a bit last year with injuries but they are all healthy right now. So, I think this game will come down to who makes the big mistake, I don't think it is going to be a domination.

OP's logic is flawed- there's an assumption that the Falcons in Sept are as good as they will be all year. This is a young team that will only get better over the year. This team in Dec will be much better in than the one that starts the year. [barring a run of injuries like last year]. The D,in particular, will be much better once the new starters/rookies get a few games together.

And this is not the Pitt team that won the super bowl- holmes is gone, Big ben is suspended, they lost their starting right guard, for all the talk of the Pitt D, last year, they gave up exactly one point less than the falcon D.

Pitt lost to Oakland, cleveland and KC last year- this is not a team that should strike fear into the hearts of falcon fans.

And yes, the falcons could lose the game, because its football and ish happens, but it's certainly a winnable game.

I hope I'm wrong, but I don't see the offense marching up and down the field against the Steelers. I mean, this is a great defense the Falcons are playing. They struggled a bit last year with injuries but they are all healthy right now. So, I think this game will come down to who makes the big mistake, I don't think it is going to be a domination.

Their starting QB threw 2 int's in his only start of the preseason. Their D is going to be on the field the whole game. Are you kidding me? They are going to be worn out this game, it doesn't matter how good the D is if they are on the field 3/4 of the game. I think most on this board are overthinking this. The QB is the most important position. He sets the tone for the team and their QB sets the table for opposing defenses. I think we will win convincingly.

I completely agree

Their starting QB threw 2 int's in his only start of the preseason. Their D is going to be on the field the whole game. Are you kidding me? They are going to be worn out this game, it doesn't matter how good the D is if they are on the field 3/4 of the game. I think most on this board are overthinking this. The QB is the most important position. He sets the tone for the team and their QB sets the table for opposing defenses. I think we will win convincingly.

In order to win a game convincingly, you have to score TDs. I just don't know how many TDs the Falcons are going to manage off that defense.

Let's be honest here, this thread isn't really about the Steelers 3rd string QB. Anyone who follows the NFL should know the Steelers have built their franchise around the lines, a consistently tough defense and a ball control offense. PIT is one of only a few franchises in the NFL that can plug just about anyone in at QB and still be successful.

No, the real reason that ATLballer is sad is because of another 3rd string QB who also happens to be in Pennsylvania... I'm won't name any names here, but I've heard tell said QB has a case of the herpes and isn't allowed to vote.