Why Does this Team Always

Now this is a very valid statement. I'm just trying to discuss my beloved Falcons objectively and we have people trying to attack my credibility and telling me to go drink bleach. Really we should have a forum for us season ticket holders, we are truly above those who don't have them, and shouldn't have to seep through the garbage of TATF.

/MichaelGee

durp durp I'm a season ticket holder guys...

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How can you say that HD and Jenkins are really good with straight face?

Jenkins needs to be upgraded, and Douglas needs to be brought in slowly because he is probably not full speed yet, so our only true options are Roddy and Gonzalez. I think we all saw how ineffective Jenkins was when every defense we went up against focused on Roddy, Gonzalez and Turner and Jenkins still couldn't get open against 1-on-1 coverage enough times to garner a career year. Any other receiver would have had a better year.

He wasn't saying that HD and Jenkins are really good.

Re-read what he wrote. He says Roddy and Gonzalez are really good, HD is young and shows promise and that Jenkins is okay but a good run blocker, on a run first team.

He wasn't saying that HD and Jenkins are really good.

Re-read what he wrote. He says Roddy and Gonzalez are really good, HD is young and shows promise and that Jenkins is okay but a good run blocker, on a run first team.

You're right about the first part. Jenkins really needs to go, saying he's a good run blocker really says something about his receiving skills. Hines Ward is a terrific blocker, probably the best blocking receiver in the league but he's still talked about as a receiver first. And at 6'4" 220, he better be **** good at blocking anyways.

How can you say that HD and Jenkins are really good with straight face?

Jenkins needs to be upgraded, and Douglas needs to be brought in slowly because he is probably not full speed yet, so our only true options are Roddy and Gonzalez. I think we all saw how ineffective Jenkins was when every defense we went up against focused on Roddy, Gonzalez and Turner and Jenkins still couldn't get open against 1-on-1 coverage enough times to garner a career year. Any other receiver would have had a better year.

I didn't I said he is decent and a good blocker.

Good receivers are Gonzo and White, Decent and young is HD, Decent is Jenkins.

You have to build the team, and while I would love to go out and pick 30+ second round talents, it just ain't happening in the NFL. A GM HAS to look around at what is available, who is on the roster, how long does it take to develop and how much money you have to spend. We needed to get future starters at LB, O-line and upgrade our CBs this year, otherwise we will not improve year to year. Our Receivers are DECENT enough to get the job done, when you consider you have two stars catching, one up and hopefully coming, and one decent catching/blocking receiver on a RUN FIRST TEAM!! I know you don't like the run first part BUT our QB is still YOUNG and DEVELOPING!!

Our Defense last year couldn't cover RBs and TEs up the middle BECAUSE our LBs NEEDED UPGRADES!!!! We did that in Spoon, we got future starters for the O-LINE and hopefully young talent to DEVELOP for the future at WR and RB. We had a great draft if you plan on winning for YEARS instead of just blowing your wad in only one. I am sorry you don't understand what is being built by TD and Smith, but you sound like you would be happier rooting for Washington or Oakland since they go into the draft and FA like you want too.

I didn't I said he is decent and a good blocker.

Good receivers are Gonzo and White, Decent and young is HD, Decent is Jenkins.

You have to build the team, and while I would love to go out and pick 30+ second round talents, it just ain't happening in the NFL. A GM HAS to look around at what is available, who is on the roster, how long does it take to develop and how much money you have to spend. We needed to get future starters at LB, O-line and upgrade our CBs this year, otherwise we will not improve year to year. Our Receivers are DECENT enough to get the job done, when you consider you have two stars catching, one up and hopefully coming, and one decent catching/blocking receiver on a RUN FIRST TEAM!! I know you don't like the run first part BUT our QB is still YOUNG and DEVELOPING!!

Our Defense last year couldn't cover RBs and TEs up the middle BECAUSE our LBs NEEDED UPGRADES!!!! We did that in Spoon, we got future starters for the O-LINE and hopefully young talent to DEVELOP for the future at WR and RB. We had a great draft if you plan on winning for YEARS instead of just blowing your wad in only one. I am sorry you don't understand what is being built by TD and Smith, but you sound like you would be happier rooting for Washington or Oakland since they go into the draft and FA like you want too.

I don't post enough here for you to think you know what I want in this team, so stop assuming. Matt Ryan cannot really develop if we continue to rely heavily on the passing game...at some point we need to hand the reins over to him and let him unleash Roddy and Tony and hopefully HD if he ever develops to where he should. Its ok for our GM to make a few mistakes here and there, as long as he makes enough good decisions to counteract them. Denying the fact that TD may have blundered is only being ignorant and unrealistic. Matt Ryan is 25, Roddy is 28?, Tony is only gonna stick around for a couple years and we all know the life span of runningbacks in this league, so if we are going to win, we need to get things in place now. We have about a 3 year window with our all guys at or near their prime, after that, they will begin to fall off. Why do we insist on planning for the future while neglecting the talent we have right now?

Its possible to do both.

We have about a 3 year window with our all guys at or near their prime, after that, they will begin to fall off. Why do we insist on planning for the future while neglecting the talent we have right now?

Its possible to do both.

I totally don't understand what you're saying there, Ralph. Can you please excrapulate a little?

Lol my bad. Meant running game.

Figured that but had to be sure. However, I disagree. Teams that run the ball well should run the ball. We run well when healthy and though it is a pass-happy league, poundin' the rock with authority can get a team very, very far.

Our biggest hole was on the defense though. We couldn't STOP the enemies Offense a majority of the time. We had to have better CBs and LBs to have a chance of winning more games, especially against NO and the pass happy offenses around the league. Since we only had so many picks, and only so much money to spend in FA, we had to upgrade the D to have a chance of winning what you want. To waste money on a WR when he is sitting on the bench because your Defense can't get off the field is pointless.

Our WRs are Good Enough when you add our running game and TEs to the mix. Our QB IS developing and will continue to develop as he gets more game experience. That is why we are running more no huddle and letting him call more plays. Our O-Line has to be upgraded to allow more passing time, and to do that takes time and depth, which we now have.

While I would love to say yeah, lets bring in another #1 WR, or even a top flight #2, the need just wasn't high enough to jump it above the other needs. Until Ryan can get the time to throw that he DIDN'T have last year, having more options isn't a great idea. Having more options when your defense loses games isn't great either. You can win some games by outscoring your opponents 50-45, but not enough to be a contender, ie see Saints '08 vs Saints '09 or the Colts since they only have 1 SB victory, because their D couldn't make the needed stops.

We are building for long term winning, sorry you don't like what it takes to do so, but that is where we are going. Roddy should have another 2-5 years, Ryan should have another 7-12 years, Turner 2-5 years, Gonzo 1-2 years, HD 1-?, McClure 1, Peterson 1, Coleman 1-4 years, Abe 1-4 years, and Ovie 1-5 years. So yeah, we have to win soon BUT we also have to reload some so when some start leaving it isn't game over. Again other needs were BIGGER than a #3 passing option.

I totally don't understand what you're saying there, Ralph. Can you please excrapulate a little?

Figured that but had to be sure. However, I disagree. Teams that run the ball well should run the ball. We run well when healthy and though it is a pass-happy league, poundin' the rock with authority can get a team very, very far.

Well pretty soon Roddy will be up there in age and Tony G will retire. So our "weapons" will be pretty weak, and since we insist that our receivers are decent enough, I doubt we address the position in the draft.

We're improving our defense undoubtedly, but why not continue to improve our offense as well? We have decent receivers, why not want great ones? Its that settling mentality we've developed as fans that will continue to lead us to disappointment when we wonder why we can't keep up with the better teams who have more talented players than we do.

Out here USC is a kingpin, and any mistake they make is harshly criticized by their fans, because they've come to expect near perfection from their program. Now this is because they've established themselves as a perennial team, but for us to ever be on that type of level as a franchise, we can't continue to overlook upgrades.

The Patriots are always looking for upgrades, and that's why they're a dynasty. They make sure they field the best players possible, and aren't afraid of taking a few risks here and there. Look what they did with Randy Moss.

Well pretty soon Roddy will be up there in age and Tony G will retire. So our "weapons" will be pretty weak, and since we insist that our receivers are decent enough, I doubt we address the position in the draft.

Well that's strictly an assumption on your part. We've got a winner with Dimitroff IMO but the other part of the problem as far as right now is that there is only so much talent to go around the league. Every time a player from another team is cut there's an outcry from somebody to "Bring Him Home, TD!" Geeez, if TD had to do what everybody in here wants, we'd have 450 guys on the roster.

Saw Gonzo in an interview during the Jags game and he said he feels like he's got another 3-4 years left in him and obviously loves to play the game. He seemed very excited! Roddy White? At least another 5 years if he doesn't get hurt. Do we need more WR help? Yeah, sure wouldn't hurt, but you can't have/get everything all at once and like mcsupersport says, we had more important concerns this year than WR.

No argument with New England's success. Like 'em or hate 'em, that's an amazing organization. TD came from there, ya know?;)

When did I ever say we had a horrible D?

And you don't need a Ravens type of defense to make the playoffs...we've done it before.

If Matt Ryan is as good as you guys think, then wouldn't it be safe to assume that he'd be able to put in the work with TJ to get on the same page? Because his intangibles are so great that he'll do whatever it takes to win now right?

The Madden thing is just another one of the things you guys say to try to point out our dinosaur-brained delusions that goofs like me try to portray as a 'good idea'. -_-

Fixed.

And by the way, TJ is getting run out of Seattle because of his attitude. He's Seattle's only proven WR that's worth anything, but he's been reportedly acting like TO of a few years ago, where he makes a scene whenever he doesn't get the ball thrown his way. I think we all know DT and co. heavily factor in character, so this pipe dream of getting TJ and that somehow being the missing piece to us winning a Super Bowl is just dopey.

Can we just agree that the OP is a whining dolt and kill this stupid thread? Thanks.

Fixed.

And by the way, TJ is getting run out of Seattle because of his attitude. He's Seattle's only proven WR that's worth anything, but he's been reportedly acting like TO of a few years ago, where he makes a scene whenever he doesn't get the ball thrown his way. I think we all know DT and co. heavily factor in character, so this pipe dream of getting TJ and that somehow being the missing piece to us winning a Super Bowl is just dopey.

Can we just agree that the OP is a whining dolt and kill this stupid thread? Thanks.

Randy Moss was once considered a "bad character guy" I guess we wouldn't want anyone like that on our team right? Seattle was just lousy with lousy qb play and TJ suffered.He was still better than Jenkins. Dunta Robinson was a bigger mal-content than TJ was, so you guys just need to STFU about this "character" nonsense.If everyone on our team was a "character guy" we would be worse than the Rams.

Disappoint? We Have needs at WR & DE and We are very capable of Drafting one of these and what do we do? Sit on our *****...

This Draft We had needs at DE, DT, WR, OLB

Dez Bryant is up and Our first choices of Brandon Graham and Derrick Morgan are long gone..

DEZ FUKCING BRYANT is Still magically there.. An Obvious Choice right? Wrong we Ddecide to go with an Overrated OLB that wasn't that big of a need in the first place.

If Sean Weatherspoon gets hurt This year like just about every TD Pick does.. I will personally Shlt no our Mascot and send him out to the field in shame.

KERRY MAYER IS GARBAGE.. EVEN IF HE WASN'T HURT HE WAS GONNA BE GARBAGE COMPARED TO WHAT YOU GUYS THOUGHT HE WAS GONNA BE.. JERRY MAYOR IS NOT A WES WELKER/MATT JONES/ Or THE WHITE JERRY RICE.

HE WAS GOING TO BE JUST YOUR AVERAGE 5TH STRING WR WHO PROBABLY WAS GONNA BE 3RD OR 2ND BECAUSE OUR WR DEPTH = ARSE

WE SHOULD DO EVERYTHING WE CAN TO GET TJ HOUSHMANZADEH ON THIS TEAM.

2 Up, 2 DOWN PEACE

You clearly have no idea what your talking about. TD didnt draft Dez Bryant cause hes not a team player and in college he had to line up on their teams sideline so the coach could tell him what route to run cause he couldnt remember a college playbook. We have good d ends and we have great dl line depth. Just because TD doesn't pick players that Mel Kiper talks about all month doesn't mean he isnt going to be any good. How about you know something about the falcons before you start talking all this stupid ****. TD drafts people who are team players with a high football intelligence which means if you played there would be no way you would get drafted by him cause you dont know ****

i get what ralph's saying and he makes a very good point. our current offense's window is closing. roddy won't be roddy forever, TG will be going out soon and it's hard to imagine turner being the burner into his 30's.

that said ralph, who's to say this year's group doesn't win it all this year? i'll admit, on papers we don't look like world beaters, but truth is a lot of SB champs don't look like it at the beginning of the year. the aints made some additions last year that most of the league didn't raise their eyebrows at and then they're hoisting the lombardi in february.

darren sharper was old and couldn't make it on one of the NFL's worse secondaries, jabari greer was a nickel corner in BUFFALO, tracy porter was injury prone and very unproven, will smith was coming off of an injury, charles grant was coming off of an injury, marques colston was coming off of an injury, shockey had a VERY down year in 08 and no touchdowns, gregg williams was fired for driving mike smith's JAX defense into the ground, etc., etc., etc....

if you would've told anybody outside of the NO homers they would go 13-0 and win the superbowl they would've laughed at you.

colts couldn't run the ball in 09 and their D was suspect, the steelers were not all that impressive in 08 and big ben was inconsistent, the cardinals were hot at times but struggled a lot, the colts had a HORRIBLE run D in 06, the giants were an inch away from turmoil in 07, the bears had a struggling offense and a qb who turned the ball over too much in 06, etc.

yet all of those teams i listed above made the championship. it's waaaay to early to say this falcon team couldn't do the same.

-----------

with all of that said i'm confident this team will rebuild the O as guys fall off. our most important piece (ryan) is still young and as long as we put talent around him we should be ok.

i know TATF can be a pain in the *** and while i like a good number of the posters here i don't always agree with them and sometimes i find myself agreeing with the SWIFT HITTER's and FFS70's of the world. but when there's ALWAYS a thread with somebody clamoring to sign "so and so" it becomes easy to write that thread off you know? everyday there's somebody getting released and that same somebody is the missing piece to a lombardi for this team according to TATF.

now occasionally those guys that get cut/traded light it up for their new teams, but for every randy moss, bernard pollard and drew brees there are eight more donte culpeppers, roy williamses, ed hartwells, jason davids, peerless prices, steve mcnairs (rip), trent greens, lamont jordans, derrick wards, jay cutlers, javon walkers, etc, etc, etc.

You clearly have no idea what your talking about. TD didnt draft Dez Bryant cause hes not a team player and in college he had to line up on their teams sideline so the coach could tell him what route to run cause he couldnt remember a college playbook. We have good d ends and we have great dl line depth. Just because TD doesn't pick players that Mel Kiper talks about all month doesn't mean he isnt going to be any good. How about you know something about the falcons before you start talking all this stupid ****. TD drafts people who are team players with a high football intelligence which means if you played there would be no way you would get drafted by him cause you dont know ****

Youre right.. Even if we Drafted Dez.. Mike Mularkey would find a way to make him Useless. is troubles are Blown way out of proportion too. he Went to dinner and didn't pay!? WOAH NO HE DIDN'T WHAT IS WRONG WITH HIM! SUSPEND HIM FOR A YEAR!

C'mon I bet you Pencilpusher Is going to be laughing at us and thanking us for giving the Cowboys Dez Bryant basically.

i know TATF can be a pain in the *** and while i like a good number of the posters here i don't always agree with them and sometimes i find myself agreeing with the SWIFT HITTER's and FFS70's of the world. but when there's ALWAYS a thread with somebody clamoring to sign "so and so" it becomes easy to write that thread off you know? everyday there's somebody getting released and that same somebody is the missing piece to a lombardi for this team according to TATF.

now occasionally those guys that get cut/traded light it up for their new teams, but for every randy moss, bernard pollard and drew brees there are eight more donte culpeppers, roy williamses, ed hartwells, jason davids, peerless prices, steve mcnairs (rip), trent greens, lamont jordans, derrick wards, jay cutlers, javon walkers, etc, etc, etc.

I agree with you Boss.. But C'mon It cant hurt to try to get TJ to be just a freakin' #2 WR.. he doesn't have to be a Savior.. It's not that hard to be better than Michael Jenkins..

I agree with you Boss.. But C'mon It cant hurt to try to get TJ to be just a freakin' #2 WR.. he doesn't have to be a Savior.. It's not that hard to be better than Michael Jenkins..

i see how TJ could really help this offense and i do agree he is better than jenkins, but at the same time i can see why we aren't making/won't make the move as well.

TD is always looking ahead as we know and when you look ahead with the TJ situation a lot of ?'s come up.

dude is 33 right now and never had blazing speed so it's hard to imagine him being relevent in a year or 2. plus what kind of contract would we send him? would he be happy taking a 1 year "test" deal like TO took last year, or is housh still trying to make $$$? would it really be smart to give housh a long term deal at his age? we are all worried about TG retiring, when in fact TJ is just as old.

and then there's the fact that many league execs including the bengals are saying he's a big cancer and he's shown signs of it IMO. i don't like the fact that we pass on almost EVERYBODY with character issues, but at the same time do we want to end up like the 08 cowboys with our locker room being the reason we don't hoist one in feb?

i can see the positives and negatives on both sides of it, and there are EXTREME +'s (lombardi) and -'s (08 cowboys/bengals of the mid 00s), but at the end of the day i can see why TD would pass it up and i wouldn't necessarily be mad at him.

i will say that i'm PRAYING that we take a WR in next year's draft with green, jones, floyd and baldwin all likely being available. now if we pass on any of THOSE guys or multiple of them, then i'll be extremely pissed...i doubt we will pass on them though. i think TD knows **** well jenkins 08 season was fluky and we could use an upgrade and i think he will do just that, he's just waiting for the right time/player to pounce.

i see how TJ could really help this offense and i do agree he is better than jenkins, but at the same time i can see why we aren't making/won't make the move as well.

TD is always looking ahead as we know and when you look ahead with the TJ situation a lot of ?'s come up.

dude is 33 right now and never had blazing speed so it's hard to imagine him being relevent in a year or 2. plus what kind of contract would we send him? would he be happy taking a 1 year "test" deal like TO took last year, or is housh still trying to make $$$? would it really be smart to give housh a long term deal at his age? we are all worried about TG retiring, when in fact TJ is just as old.

and then there's the fact that many league execs including the bengals are saying he's a big cancer and he's shown signs of it IMO. i don't like the fact that we pass on almost EVERYBODY with character issues, but at the same time do we want to end up like the 08 cowboys with our locker room being the reason we don't hoist one in feb?

i can see the positives and negatives on both sides of it, and there are EXTREME +'s (lombardi) and -'s (08 cowboys/bengals of the mid 00s), but at the end of the day i can see why TD would pass it up and i wouldn't necessarily be mad at him.

i will say that i'm PRAYING that we take a WR in next year's draft with green, jones, floyd and baldwin all likely being available. now if we pass on any of THOSE guys or multiple of them, then i'll be extremely pissed...i doubt we will pass on them though. i think TD knows **** well jenkins 08 season was fluky and we could use an upgrade and i think he will do just that, he's just waiting for the right time/player to pounce.

I think We should Get a Tackle in the first and then a Big WR in the 2nd.. or even Vice Versa.. I think TJ Housmanzadeh for a 2 year contract for about say 7 million would be a Great deal.. not too much and I know as a #2 he'll bring the Production. I mean his game has never been built on Speed. and Hands dont just leave a Player..

I want this team to improve.. but Even if we bring in all these players. If we Cant call plays that Utilize them why Have them. Roddy white is almost being wasted in this Offense. I believe he would have ASTRONOMICAL #'s in say the Saints or Colts. He is that good.. getting the #'s he does here is Amazing Frankly. But I sure am Happy that we have him though :P

I think We should Get a Tackle in the first and then a Big WR in the 2nd.. or even Vice Versa.. I think TJ Housmanzadeh for a 2 year contract for about say 7 million would be a Great deal.. not too much and I know as a #2 he'll bring the Production. I mean his game has never been built on Speed. and Hands dont just leave a Player..

I want this team to improve.. but Even if we bring in all these players. If we Cant call plays that Utilize them why Have them. Roddy white is almost being wasted in this Offense. I believe he would have ASTRONOMICAL #'s in say the Saints or Colts. He is that good.. getting the #'s he does here is Amazing Frankly. But I sure am Happy that we have him though :P

yeah if we can't get one of those WRs i listed i'd def take a tackle....either way we'll be going offense next year early and often IMO. this D looks solid and has good depth. smitty has his boys on D now, so it's time to get back to the offense like we did in 08.

and yea i definitely know how you feel, trust. i watch the other offenses and try to figure WHY we can't be as explosive like them and like we were in 08. it should not be hard at all with the weapons we have on O.

i will say this. mularkey has douglas back (and healthy), our backs are healthy, our line's healthy, and most importantly #2's healthy. mularkey's on the hot seat and his leash should be short IMO.

plus i don't feel ryan is the best fit for his scheme. ryan would be a monster in a WCO (bill musgrave or jogodzinski) like he was in college. that O would fit him much better and i think our offense as a whole would be better in a WCO. but hey, the season starts in a week so all i can do is hope for the best.

Randy Moss was once considered a "bad character guy" I guess we wouldn't want anyone like that on our team right?

Moss was a high risk/high reward move. He was one of the top WR's in the league, and that type of player is always going to have someone roll the dice on them. TJ is nowhere near that level to risk disrupting the chemistry of the team.

Dunta Robinson was a bigger mal-content than TJ was, so you guys just need to STFU about this "character" nonsense.If everyone on our team was a "character guy" we would be worse than the Rams.

Now this comment is just flat-out stupid. There's a reason our front office emphasizes that, and to be so dismissive of that is just moronic. Period.

If everyone on our team was a "character guy" we would be worse than the Rams.

Conjecture much? Also stupid. Maybe you should just go root for the Bengals and get it over with. I'm not saying our team has to have a roster full of Ned Flanders clones, but having a locker room with selfish goons would be disruptive.