Game 1 strategy

FalconPio

Ok so with leftwich out, Dixon Batch is most likely the starter now. There is a lot of hoopla about the team and players (Hines ward) wanting to play it safe and pound the ball and win it with mendenhall and their defense.

Now my thing is, should we put our run defense in second gear this week, study hard on their run game footage or what.

Or this could be a set up and they try to exploit our passing defense with dixon Batch right out the gate. Im sooo confused! :wacko:

Yes I know it is about BALANCE but their is a thing called game planning for each specific team.

Our Defense is fast now but We should still really look out for the play action and QB scrambling in game 1

Sidenote: Not trying to be an armchair GM nor am I telling the FO what to do. I just want conversation.

Thoughts guys?

Edited by FalconPio

I believe the defense will be in good shape with Rapelisburger out. On all pass plays..Spoon spy Dixon. Blitz a lot. Play 8 in the box to stop the run and force Dixon to beat you with his arm. If Batch is qb, don't worry about spy.

It's the offense attacking Pitts D I worry about. If we can't run the ball against them, and they're tough to run on, we're gonna have a hard hoe to row. If we can run the ball, forcing their linebackers and safeties to play honest, this will open up the passing game.

I believe the defense will be in good shape with Rapelisburger out. On all pass plays..Spoon spy Dixon. Blitz a lot. Play 8 in the box to stop the run and force Dixon to beat you with his arm. If Batch is qb, don't worry about spy.

It's the offense attacking Pitts D I worry about. If we can't run the ball against them, and they're tough to run on, we're gonna have a hard hoe to row. If we can run the ball, forcing their linebackers and safeties to play honest, this will open up the passing game.

Dixon is Jeckel & Hyde throwing - against the Giants (#15 Pass Defense 2009) & Detroit (#32 Pass Defense 2009) he threw for 85.7% & 87.5% respectively - against Denver (#3 Pass Defense 2009) he threw for 56.3% and 2 INTs - spy him and blitz - blitz - blitz on pass plays - the way our first squad has been playing against the run I think we can handle Pittsburgh's rushing attack.

Short pass routes - outside runs - more than 4 yards on 1st down and drive methodically down the field and eat the clock should work in our favor against the Pitt D.

The Steelers are to be respected. Even though they had a bad year last year, they still were the #5 defense in the NFL and were #2 in sacks. Their defense had 47 sacks last year~almost 3 every game. If the Falcons can give up less than three sacks and not turn the ball over, we will have a significant advantage.

We will need to run the ball effectively, use play-action and play ball possession and keep their defense on the field. Our defense is going to do very well.

In our first three games. The Falcons will play against some great pass rushers!

Hines Ward, a wide receiver, doesn't want the steelers to pass the ball? My thoughts are that the steelers will really have to dumb-down the playbook for Dixon or else they would have no other reason whatsoever to start Leftwich before his injury. Dixon has much more raw talent than Leftwich, so experience & poise under pressure are what the steelers were looking for before the injury...

that being said, blitz the crap out of him & keep a spy on him at all times.

I have a friend who's a pretty big Steelers fan and he seems to think that it will be Batch that gets the start.

We'll see.

I live in PA & i'm surrounded by steelers fans. Batch is just recovering from injuries & has hardly taken any snaps in training camp & preseason until game four...there's no way.

Ok so with leftwich out, Dixon is most likely the starter now. There is a lot of hoopla about the team and players (Hines ward) wanting to play it safe and pound the ball and win it with mandenhall and their defense.

Now my thing is, should we put our run defense in second gear this week, study hard on their run game footage or what.

Or this could be a set up and they try to exploit our passing defense with dixon right out the gate. Im sooo confused! :wacko:

Yes I know it is about BALANCE but their is a thing called game planning for each specific team.

Our Defense is fast now but We should still really look out for the play action and QB scrambling in game 1

Sidenote: Not trying to be an armchair GM nor am I telling the FO what to do. I just want conversation.

Thoughts guys?

It's simple. We need to get a lead quick and make Dixon beat us with his arm. Which he can't do. We'll win the game hands down. They're going to try to run the ball down our troats, if we get the lead, they have to pass. Pretty simple.

Our defense will sell out to stop their run game. It will be a battle of field position and turnovers/special teams could easily decide the outcome. If either team can establish the run then that team should dominate. That's why both of us will prioritize the run game on Def & Off.

Ward should be our biggest concern on passing downs, because he is like Gonzo- difficult to cover and always getting open. I think our pass rush will be good, but I am a little worried about our D unit tackling well.