• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Linky

Warrant issued for arrest of UGA safety Ogletree

9:58 am September 3, 2010, by Tim Tucker

University of Georgia Police took out a warrant Thursday for the arrest of Georgia freshman football player Alec Ogletree on a charge of theft by taking.

UGA Police Lt. Eric Dellinger confirmed to the AJC this morning that the warrant was issued but said further details would have to come from UGA Police Chief Jimmy Williamson, who was not immediately available.

Ogletree, a safety, is a highly touted member of Georgias 2010 signing class.

According to the Red and Black, UGAs student newspaper, the warrant stems from a June 15 incident in which a student reported a $35 helmet was taken from the Rankin Smith Center on campus.

Ogletree would be the ninth Georgia football player arrested this year.

June 15th? 3 months ago???

Edited by Secking

When are the NCAA and collegiate institutions going to pay these kids an allowance? They make millions and millions off of them every year and all the players get in return is college tuition, some food, and maybe a place to sleep if they need it....and they don't, they're football players, they have Frats. HELLO!

I didn't know you could have someone arrested over $35.....

they say the helmet is actually worth 10 dollars not 35 dollars (i don't know for a fact one way or the other).. this is just pathetic. no reason to go get a bench warrant arrest for petty theft if that is the case.. restitution and no plea, probabtion is how 95% of them are handled. it's just billy throwing his weight around at the football team.. we need to go back and look at how he treats the general student population for thefts under fifty bucks. whatever suspension alec get is fine with me, but the bench warrant is ridiculous.

That's 9 arrests in this offseason, correct?

You would think that the high criminal quotient will translate to wins on the field. Otherwise it's not worth the embarrassment if I'm a UGA fan.

I would agree with seeing it on the field, but a kid who can't spell his middle name, a guy who bumps a car while parking, and now a moped helmet theft that is rarely ever an arrest I would say I don't think that would translate to the field.

I dont care how petty this junk is. Enough is enough. Richt is going to have to kick someone off the team for something super petty before these guys get it. This is embarassing.

Yea, I'm not going to rush to judgment...but if he did steal it I don't care if it's worth $.50, it's just stupid and I think Richt needs to come down fairly hard on him. The problem with these kids is they think nothing is going to happen to them half the time so they think they can just get away with this stuff regardless of how small it may seem.

When are the NCAA and collegiate institutions going to pay these kids an allowance? They make millions and millions off of them every year and all the players get in return is college tuition, some food, and maybe a place to sleep if they need it....and they don't, they're football players, they have Frats. HELLO!

Because most kids pay to go to school and that isn't fair to them. If i'm paying 80,000 to go to school and just cause a guy plays football he gets to go for free and get paid while doing it? No go. It is an amateur league. That's like paying a 8 year old cause he draws a big crowd to peewee games.

Because most kids pay to go to school and that isn't fair to them. If i'm paying 80,000 to go to school and just cause a guy plays football he gets to go for free and get paid while doing it? No go. It is an amateur league. That's like paying a 8 year old cause he draws a big crowd to peewee games.

If those pee-wee games make big bucks, then they probably should be paid. You're talking about guys who bring BILLIONS in. I dont want to high-jack this thread. But the ammount of money college athletes bring their schools in comparison with the price of their education is seperated by a wide-wide margin.

There's also "theft by receiving" and "theft by deception". The first is usually when you receive stolen goods by another party. And theft by deception is pretty obvious. Tricking someone into giving you something.

Got ya. I was thinking "theft by thinking about it" but yours make a lot more sense. Mine is a little Minority Reportish

OK, I'm hearing a lot of different things right now about Alec's warrant. I don't think this is exactly how it appears on the surface. I think "theft" may be a strong term for what actually occurred. I don't want to say one way or the other at this exact moment, but I think this will be resolved fairly quickly. -- someone who covers uga.

I think players should get some kind of payment. It would have to be universal for all players and sports I'm not talking a huge amount but something. Yes a scholarship player has his education room board and food paid for but that's about it. It's not like a starting d1 player can ho out and get a job at mcDonalds to earn extra money. The way a normal student does. He has to study and go to class as a normal student but then they have to practice travel and play in games that make the university money. Some of these kids come from very poor parents in a economical nightmare right now also. So I think a littleectrs cash to help the kids get thongs they want wouldn't be a bad thing.

For them college life is completely different than your abstract student most can't even have facebook pages or give out there cell numbers. So when it comes to compairing what's fair for a normal student and a student athlete think about all the differences between the 2 s life.

If those pee-wee games make big bucks, then they probably should be paid. You're talking about guys who bring BILLIONS in. I dont want to high-jack this thread. But the ammount of money college athletes bring their schools in comparison with the price of their education is seperated by a wide-wide margin.

They are already treated well enough. It's an amateur league. Go play in the CFL or some **** if you wanna get paid already.