Gil Brandt picks Matt Ryan to win league MVP award

MattIceRyanMVP2

Link....

ice-on-no-huddle.JPG

00813 Atlanta - Atlanta Falcons quarterback Matt Ryan (2) loosens up for the exhibition season opener against the Kansas City Chiefs at the Georgia Dome in Atlanta on Friday, August 13, 2010. Curtis Compton ccompton@ajc.com

ACKSONVILLE – Gil Brandt, of Sirius NFL radio and NFL.com, is all-in on the Falcons.

On Sirius NFL Radio last night, while talking to Dr. Falcon on the air, he announced that he’s selecting Falcons quarterback Matt Ryan to win the NFL’s MVP award.

“I think he’s going to be a big factor in the success of that team,” Brandt said on the Late Hits show.

Brandt, the longtime former personnel man with the Dallas Cowboys, said he had to write a piece for NFL.com and in the article he picking Ryan.

Last season, Peyton Manning won the award for a record fourth time.

“I won’t be a bit surprised if Atlanta wins the NFC South,” Brandt said.

Wishful thinking? I think so. I am a huge Ryan fan but he's not MVP caliber just yet. I think Aaron Rodgers will the this years NFL MVP...What do you think?

Edited by MattIceRyanMVP2

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Link....

ice-on-no-huddle.JPG

00813 Atlanta - Atlanta Falcons quarterback Matt Ryan (2) loosens up for the exhibition season opener against the Kansas City Chiefs at the Georgia Dome in Atlanta on Friday, August 13, 2010. Curtis Compton ccompton@ajc.com

ACKSONVILLE – Gil Brandt, of Sirius NFL radio and NFL.com, is all-in on the Falcons.

On Sirius NFL Radio last night, while talking to Dr. Falcon on the air, he announced that he’s selecting Falcons quarterback Matt Ryan to win the NFL’s MVP award.

“I think he’s going to be a big factor in the success of that team,” Brandt said on the Late Hits show.

Brandt, the longtime former personnel man with the Dallas Cowboys, said he had to write a piece for NFL.com and in the article he picking Ryan.

Wishful thinking? I think so. I am a huge Ryan fan but he's not MVP caliber just yet. I think Aaron Rodgers will the this years NFL MVP...What do you think?

Too bad that doesnt come with a "complimentary Lombardi Trophy" ;)

Guys are getting benched and losing their starting QB jobs around the league for putting up similar numbers as Ryan thus far...

I had mentioned earlier in training camp that Ryan would be league MVP, but i've started to question that myself, because he's not looked so sharp.

I see Rogers obtaining it before Ryan, as things stand right now.

Link....

ice-on-no-huddle.JPG

I think that the beating that Rogers takes may catch up with him.

Ryan's work ethic is already legendary, he's got the size, a good arm and he's really really smart. He spent the offseason studying players that are better than him. He's got a healthy Turner, HD back and better Oline depth.

Ryan may be the difference between a 9 win team and a 12 win team this year, the difference between playing after the regular season ends and staying home- that's a really valuable player.

Guys are getting benched and losing their starting QB jobs around the league for putting up similar numbers as Ryan thus far...

I had mentioned earlier in training camp that Ryan would be league MVP, but i've started to question that myself, because he's not looked so sharp.

Somebody put up 2900 yards and 22 TDs and lost their job? Who?

Somebody put up 2900 yards and 22 TDs and lost their job? Who?

Cutler is being criticized to no end, Leinart was suppose to be the QB this year now he's on the trading/cut block, Leftwich is probably going to get replaced by Dennis Dixon, Mark Sanchez is drawing huge question marks, and more because they have not put up good enough numbers thus far- but yet Matt Ryan is suppose to be the league MVP with similar performance.

Ryan's numbers have left much to be desired, I think it's weird that he is saying that Ryan will be the league MVP with a 53% completion rating in 7 offensive series when you have a guy like Rodgers who is blowing it up, and blew it up last year too.

What part of last years stats have anything to do with this years' league MVP? When you compare last years league MVP stats to Ryans last year, it's like night and day.

Edited by JKH5785

I love Matty Ice but as long as Mularkey is the OC ... forget about it. most of the pass plays are designed rollouts which cut off 50% of the field which leads to Matt maybe completing 50% of his passes and throwing the rest away. the only way i can see him getting an MVP is if he runs a no-huddle offense all season.

most of the pass plays are designed rollouts which cut off 50% of the field which leads to Matt maybe completing 50% of his passes and throwing the rest away.

That's an exaggeration. There is no way that 'most' of the pass plays are rollouts.

I don't particularly like the rollout plays for Ryan myself ( I think most of his problems are due to footwork which is extremely important in a rollout ), but every team has them in the playbook for a reason.

Cutler is being criticized to no end, Leinart was suppose to be the QB this year now he's on the trading/cut block, Leftwich is probably going to get replaced by Dennis Dixon, Mark Sanchez is drawing huge question marks, and more because they have not put up good enough numbers thus far- but yet Matt Ryan is suppose to be the league MVP with similar performance.

Ryan's numbers have left much to be desired, I think it's weird that he is saying that Ryan will be the league MVP with a 53% completion rating in 7 offensive series when you have a guy like Rodgers who is blowing it up, and blew it up last year too.

What part of last years stats have anything to do with this years' league MVP? When you compare last years league MVP stats to Ryans last year, it's like night and day.

Are you serious??? No team Cutler has ever been on since college has finished above .500, he also threw 26 interceptions last year.. that's a big difference between 14.

At first you said guys with similar stats to Ryan were getting benched, then in your infinite wisdom, you name drop Cutler, Leinart, Leftwich, and Sanchez. I pointed out that Cutler is THE interception machine of the NFL, and is hardly the leader that Ryan is. How you compare the next 3 to him I have no idea. Leinart in his career has a 7-10 record as a starter. In fact, Matt Ryan started more games his rookie year, than Leinart has in his entire 4 years in the NFL. How does he have similar numbers to Ryan? Leftwich? He's a backup. And Sanchez? No one is doubting Mark Sanchez, he's without question the starting QB of the team. Call out a player if you want, but make sure you have some facts before you spew some bs opinion.

Gave you a +1 not sure why you got negged for stating an honest opinion. Ryan is not in the right system, Turner will get it before he does.

Are you serious??? No team Cutler has ever been on since college has finished above .500, he also threw 26 interceptions last year.. that's a big difference between 14.

At first you said guys with similar stats to Ryan were getting benched, then in your infinite wisdom, you name drop Cutler, Leinart, Leftwich, and Sanchez. I pointed out that Cutler is THE interception machine of the NFL, and is hardly the leader that Ryan is. How you compare the next 3 to him I have no idea. Leinart in his career has a 7-10 record as a starter. In fact, Matt Ryan started more games his rookie year, than Leinart has in his entire 4 years in the NFL. How does he have similar numbers to Ryan? Leftwich? He's a backup. And Sanchez? No one is doubting Mark Sanchez, he's without question the starting QB of the team. Call out a player if you want, but make sure you have some facts before you spew some bs opinion.

Oh please, the only BS opinion in this thread is Brandt's saying that Ryan will be league MVP before the season starts in a pre-season where he has looked rather pedestrian.

I wasn't comparing them as QBs overall, but their performances in the pre-season have been similar, and if in your infinte wisdom are declaring how great Ryan is but you gave all these reasons why the others aren't, then maybe you should think about why the great Matt Ryan hasn't looked any better.

I don't care what their past has been, fact is, Ryan's performance hasn't been any better than those guys thus far yet Ryan is being said to get league MVP? it's halarious. Think about that now, league MVP!! You think Ryan will get it before Chris Johnson, or Aaron Rodgers just to name two....I don't.

now I love Matt Ryan, but to say league MVP right now and put it out in the National Media, especially after the miscues we have all seen thus far is completely absurd.

****, you beat me to it. I was gonna ask the same thing. You'd also have to subtract the games that Ryan missed. He had a decent numbers considering his injury.

You don't get league MVP based off the previous years stats, the fact you and him would use last years stats as an arguing point is ridiculous.

I said based off what we have seen so far, it's ludicrous to say Matt Ryan will be league MVP.

There are guys in the league putting up similar numbers thus far who are either being criticized, benched, or in danger of being cut.

****, you beat me to it. I was gonna ask the same thing. You'd also have to subtract the games that Ryan missed. He had a decent numbers considering his injury.

If he played the 3 games he was injured for, he would of been around 3600 yards and 27 tds... You dont think about benching a player with those numbers

I'll agree with ya JK. The problem with Ryan is that the offense isn't built around him, but is built around Turner. What everyone seems to forget is that the Falcons are a run first team, hence the reason we went out and got Turner and drafted Norwood, Snelling and went out after Ovie.

I agree that Rodgers will be a top candidate for the MVP, and if CJ2K has a repeat performance of last year he will be hard to top.

As far as throwing out statistics there's someone this board that has the truth in his signature.

"There are three kinds of lies, lies, **** lies, and statistics"

53% with multiple drops. If the players catch those- he's right at 60% or better. Hardly his problem.

He's also minus the Number 2 WR, with Turner not playing in at least 2 of those series, with HD being kept under wraps, with subs on the Oline from the first series on, with decidedly vanilla playmaking.

If Smith was worried about the O, it seems to me he would have kept them together and out there longer [esp. in the first 2 games]for them to work the bugs out. Since he hasn't done that, I'm assuming he's not too worried about that.

Ryan is a combined 20-10 with 5400+ yards, 38 TDs and 25 INTs in 2 years of football that counts. While it would be nice if the numbers were better this preseason, it is preseason.