You don't know an elite CB when you see one...

xxstealth

Just because you guys wish grimes turns into an elite corner it doesnt really make him one. Great CBs don't whiff on tackles as constantly as grimes does, he hasnt improved really he picked up his game when we played a bunch of nobodies.

watch 47 seconds in:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/san-francisco-49ers/09000d5d81357896

he hasn't showed that he has improved in the preseason either..he stuggles with any physical reciever and will be a liablity if he starts IMO. I'm pulling for williams or ownens, I dont want to see more of grimes, I dont trust his small frame when he's on the field.

Edited by osiruz

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just because you guys wish grimes turns into an elite corner it doesnt really make him one. Great CBs don't whiff on tackles as constantly as grimes does, he hasnt improved really he picked up his game when we played a bunch of nobodies.

watch 47 seconds in:

he hasn't showed that he has improved in the preseason either..he stuggles with any physical reciever and will be a liablity if he starts IMO. I'm pulling for williams or ownens, I dont want to see more of grimes, I dont trust his small frame when he's on the field.

there the same d** height.... OMG i cant believe yall keep bringing height into the equation.... grimes owens, d- rob they all are around the same height.... forget exact height, when i seen them together, there the same height, an inch here or there doesnt make a difference... plus we have seen wat owens can do as well in 6 games, plus this preseason... he will be playing the nickle u watch and see.... thats where he's been most this preseason...

Edited by madman88

watch 47 seconds in:

Grimes started to pick it up around the Giants/Saints game. He wasn't wiffing tackles, and he was making play after play on the ball. I think you're going to be a little upset when you see Grimes opposite Dunta come opening day.

He's good, but yet more over-hyping of our players. We will never win a Superbowl if we believe good/very good to be 'elite'.

He can easily be upgraded, but he plays with a lot of heart.

He's still learning though, he may yet be elite, and when you have others like Owens and Franks who are young, with a lot of potential, only good things can happen.

Grimes is at his peak. His coverage skills are already off the charts. He has not proven to be able to tackle well. That will never change. It hasn't changed since he's been in the NFL and it never will. I'm fine with that because he can stick to a receiver like glue, but i've seen tooooooooooooooo many times when he gets pushed forward for 1st downs when he could have stopped them a few yards short. It is what it is. Didn't he pull a groin trying to stop Marshall. I love Grimey and I've been a suporter of his forever.

He is getting 115% out of his tiny body, he has that engine like Biermann's you can't coach, but he is never going to be a great tackler, or be able to stop people from pushing him around, its just not going to happen. There for he's at his ceiling, and its not bad because he has excellent coverage skills.

Owens was a rookie last year, and he already has the ability to tackle that Grimes will not EVER be albe to do. Chris' coverage skills are not on par with Grimes, but then again like I said he was a rookie and his ceiling is higher and has not reached it.

Comparing a rookie's coverage on Edwards vs' a 3 year vet is a bad comparison. Who'd have thunk a 3 year vet would be able to cover better than a rookie 3rd round pick. :rolleyes:

He's good, but yet more over-hyping of our players. We will never win a Superbowl if we believe good/very good to be 'elite'.

He can easily be upgraded, but he plays with a lot of heart.

He's still learning though, he may yet be elite, and when you have others like Owens and Franks who are young, with a lot of potential, only good things can happen.

exactly

I think Peyton is Grimes agent or lover or something cause the guy doesnt get it. Grimes is a good lil corner but cannot tackle and has mental lapses on the field allowing big plays. I like Grimes and he will be a good nickel back and possibly a spot starter, but in no way is he better that Owens at this point. Owens is in his 2nd year Grimes his 4th and Grimes still hasnt been able to be a starter, he has the physical abilities that allow him to cover but he cannot tackle, and I mean at all. He gets beat up by tall or bigger recievers, and Im not saying he isnt covering well but he cannot get physical with them to hold off plays. Owens is still learning and has a higher learning curve at this point. Now I hope Grimes has a great year cause that helps the Falcons, and it s a team game, but as for Peyton arguing but Grimes being elite or our best CB, dude your wrong on this one.

Honestly I don't know why we have this debate, as its been stated many times, the NB spot is on the field a lot of the time, so who cares whether owens or grimes starts there?

Me personally, I would like to see Grimes start at NB because he'll be lining up against the slot receiver which is generally a smaller quicker guy.

I'm not saying he shouldn't start because he's not good enough, im saying starting at NB would be better for him, and the team.

Beat me to it. This is also the most realistic idea where Grimes is concerned.

I think Peyton is Grimes agent or lover or something cause the guy doesnt get it. Grimes is a good lil corner but cannot tackle and has mental lapses on the field allowing big plays. I like Grimes and he will be a good nickel back and possibly a spot starter, but in no way is he better that Owens at this point. Owens is in his 2nd year Grimes his 4th and Grimes still hasnt been able to be a starter, he has the physical abilities that allow him to cover but he cannot tackle, and I mean at all. He gets beat up by tall or bigger recievers, and Im not saying he isnt covering well but he cannot get physical with them to hold off plays. Owens is still learning and has a higher learning curve at this point. Now I hope Grimes has a great year cause that helps the Falcons, and it s a team game, but as for Peyton arguing but Grimes being elite or our best CB, dude your wrong on this one.

I got a deal for you.

For every time I've described Brent Grimes as an elite player in this thread, I'll give you $5,000.

For every time I have specifically said in this thread that I do not believe he is an elite player, you give me $50.

Deal?

I got a deal for you.

For every time I've described Brent Grimes as an elite player in this thread, I'll give you $5,000.

For every time I have specifically said in this thread that I do not believe he is an elite player, you give me $50.

Deal?

Lets do one better. The OP was making the statement that he is not an elite player. If this is true then what exactly is your argument. You can easily be put to the test on the implications because if you agree that Grimes is NOT elite then you have no argument here whatsoever and should just admit to whatever it really is that you have come down with.

Lets do one better. The OP was making the statement that he is not an elite player. If this is true then what exactly is your argument. You can easily be put to the test on the implications because if you agree that Grimes is NOT elite then you have no argument here whatsoever and should just admit to whatever it really is that you have come down with.

What are you talking about? First of all, the thread starter said Brent Grimes IS an elite player.

I don't agree with that, and I've said so at least twice in this thread. But I have defended Grimes against some general and I believe unsubstantiated generalities that have been thrown around about him.

I'll admit this - he is easily my favorite Falcon. But I specifically said he isn't elite, and I really hate people putting words in my mouth.

What are you talking about? First of all, the thread starter said Brent Grimes IS an elite player.

I don't agree with that, and I've said so at least twice in this thread. But I have defended Grimes against some general and I believe unsubstantiated generalities that have been thrown around about him.

I'll admit this - he is easily my favorite Falcon. But I specifically said he isn't elite, and I really hate people putting words in my mouth.

I admit that I got it mixed up, but what the heck is your quarrel with me then? You just came out of the box trying to rip on me and here I have never made such an effort to try and rip on you. In fact I got hated on and flamed for backing you up.

We all know that you just love Grimes. Thats fine dude, but not everyone here is on the same ride. Get over it.

I admit that I got it mixed up, but what the heck is your quarrel with me then? You just came out of the box trying to rip on me and here I have never made such an effort to try and rip on you. In fact I got hated on and flamed for backing you up.

We all know that you just love Grimes. Thats fine dude, but not everyone here is on the same ride. Get over it.

Dude, I'm not sure what you mean. Dude called me out and put words in my mouth, and I called him on it, and you jumped in the middle of it. I don't have any quarrel with you. I know that you don't like Grimes, he's not your kind of player, and I know you aren't changing your mind on that.

Edited by Peyton

Dude, I'm not sure what you mean. Dude called me out and put words in my mouth, and I called him on it, and you jumped in the middle of it. I don't have any quarrel with you. I know that you don't like Grimes, he's not your kind of player, and I know you aren't changing your mind on that.

Its possible that I misunderstood something. Thats been happening a little more lately.

Ok guys... Why is everyone talking about how short Grimes is? Grimes is 5'10" and most corners in the league are that height. If you dont like Grimes height then you wouldnt like Owens either. He is a inch shorter at 5'9. Check the Falcons roster Falcons Roster The real differnce between the two, that could make Owens a better corner is that he is way more phiscally than Grimes.

Grimes is not elite, but is a good #2 corner and even a better #3. The same thing could be said about Owens. Imo I would like to see Grimes #2. I think he has earned it.