falcons are a 2.5 point favorite to beat the steelers in week 1

Steelers win outright, so if you're betting, take the Steelers and the points.

The Steelers are flying under the radar, but for no real good reason. Last year's defense, which was good even without Aaron Smith and Troy Polamalu, will be excellent and match up very well with the Falcon's offense.

The Falcon's defense was Godawful last year, and is pretty much the same, except for the addition of a good rookie linebacker and an overpriced corner with a sore hammy. Even with Dixon at the helm, the Steelers score enough points to win.

Dixon is no Roethlisberger, but he has excellent skill players around him.

Ryan is also no Roethlisberger, but he doesn't have the supporting cast he needs to be successful against the Steelers. Steeler game plan will be to double cover White, have Polamalu limit the damage Gonzalez can do, and stuff Turner. Gonzalez and Turner are no strangers to them.

Atlanta is basically the same team as last year, which finished 9-7 and lost to every good team it played except the Jets. They can't get off the field on third down, don't play well on the road (they're lucky this game isn't in December) and haven't won a meanigful game since 2008, and 2004 before that.

Don't understand the hype.

The betting line reflects the need for more money to be put down. Vegas always wins, no matter what happens on the field.

Hummm? So why is 80% of all bets taking the Falcons at -2.5 right now? The line will move to -3 or even -3.5. Come back when you know what you are talking about! :lol::lol:

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, the Steelers lost to a lot of teams they should have beaten last year, for one main reason, the absence of Polamalu and Smith. Assuming they both don't get injured during the game on Sunday, I like the Steelers' chances.

The Steelers #1 wide receiver is Mike Wallace, who is poised to have a breakout year. Nobody on the Falcons can leep up with him, but odds are less than 50/50 that Dixon can get him the ball, so that is a wash this week. He'll put up some good numbers after #7 gets back.

Disagree that the corners are terrible. The defense as a whole is solid, and scheme-wise it is something Matt Ryan hasn't seen much of.

Special teams are better. New coach, new emphasis. Solid kicking game.

The offensive line is instantly better with Pouncey, and is probably better than than the one that took them to the Super Bowl two years ago.

8-8? LOL.

Yes, the Steelers lost to a lot of teams they should have beaten last year, for one main reason, the absence of Polamalu and Smith. Assuming they both don't get injured during the game on Sunday, I like the Steelers' chances.

The Steelers #1 wide receiver is Mike Wallace, who is poised to have a breakout year. Nobody on the Falcons can leep up with him, but odds are less than 50/50 that Dixon can get him the ball, so that is a wash this week. He'll put up some good numbers after #7 gets back.

Disagree that the corners are terrible. The defense as a whole is solid, and scheme-wise it is something Matt Ryan hasn't seen much of.

Special teams are better. New coach, new emphasis. Solid kicking game.

The offensive line is instantly better with Pouncey, and is probably better than than the one that took them to the Super Bowl two years ago.

8-8? LOL.

Poly and Smith are your sole reason for losing to 4 of the worst teams in the entire league?

That don't sound right.

Edit: Poly played against Cleveland. D'oh!

Smith played against Chicago, and well... part of Detroit.

But no, I'm sure the return of a 34 year old DE coming off a major injury is going to rejuvenate your team.

Edited by sporkdevil

Poly and Smith are your sole reason for losing to 4 of the worst teams in the entire league?

That don't sound right.

Edit: Poly played against Cleveland. D'oh!

Smith played against Chicago, and well... part of Detroit.

But no, I'm sure the return of a 34 year old DE coming off a major injury is going to rejuvenate your team.

Main reason, not sole reason. The defense failed to hold leads last year. Each of those games could have and should have been won.

Aaron Smith is a great defensive end in the 3-4. You'll see Sunday.

We shut down that stupid wild cat in Miami last year.

Not a Steelers fan, are you? Stillers are the same team that made it 9-7 last year, except their aging defense is older, their QB is gone, their #1 WR is gone, and of course, their corners, special teams, and offensive line are terrible. Thanks to some iffy drafting, I think Pitt is lucky to go 8 and 8.

Didn't they lose to Cleveland last year? And Oakland? And the Chiefs? And the Bears? Ouch.

That is true, and embarrassingly BAD to admit. However, that is last season. If you look back at ALL of those games we lost, we dominated statistically across the board throughout and very well had the lead well into the 4th quarters before we uncharacteristically had major mental breakdowns within the secondary units.

We lost EVERY game by 7 points or less and was one special teams stop or a dropped T.D pass away from winning most of those games. We were 6-2 at one point and poised to make a run and that was without Polamalu and Aaron Smith, possibly the two links that make our defense click. You lose both, that's hard to replace.

Yes, we lost to KC, OAK, and CLE in that waning 5 game losing streak. But we DID finish strong with winning the last 3 tough games to end the season.

Even though we lost to the worst in the league, we also beat the best in San Diego,Green Bay, Minnesota, Miami, Baltimore and Denver when they were hot. In the midst of how bad we broke down, we went 9-7, like your squad, and was one win away from qualifying for the post season and being the team noone wanted to see in the playoffs.

As bad as our defense was at times, we still ranked #5 in the entire league and still has one of the best run stopping units in the entire NFL. I expect a better showing this year from our squad. We were due to have a down year, but Pittsburgh hasn't had back to back post-season misses since '99-'00. History shows that we'll be alright.

That is true, and embarrassingly BAD to admit. However, that is last season. If you look back at ALL of those games we lost, we dominated statistically across the board throughout and very well had the lead well into the 4th quarters before we uncharacteristically had major mental breakdowns within the secondary units.

We lost EVERY game by 7 points or less and was one special teams stop or a dropped T.D pass away from winning most of those games. We were 6-2 at one point and poised to make a run and that was without Polamalu and Aaron Smith, possibly the two links that make our defense click. You lose both, that's hard to replace.

Yes, we lost to KC, OAK, and CLE in that waning 5 game losing streak. But we DID finish strong with winning the last 3 tough games to end the season.

Even though we lost to the worst in the league, we also beat the best in San Diego,Green Bay, Minnesota, Miami, Baltimore and Denver when they were hot. In the midst of how bad we broke down, we went 9-7, like your squad, and was one win away from qualifying for the post season and being the team noone wanted to see in the playoffs.

As bad as our defense was at times, we still ranked #5 in the entire league and still has one of the best run stopping units in the entire NFL. I expect a better showing this year from our squad. We were due to have a down year, but Pittsburgh hasn't had back to back post-season misses since '99-'00. History shows that we'll be alright.

I'm just gonna talk to you, and ignore one side only. I'm certain you know what you are talking about. There were some major inconsistencies with the Steelers, but should be fixed with a healthier team/better depth and coaching. (I think I hit on question moves by your front office in another thread, and general confusion as to why you guys hired Tomlin). I know your pain, because that was the Mora regime. Oh yeah, 06, we beat you guys after you won the Superbowl, and then lost to the Browns (and I think the Lions) that same season. It's a terrible shot to the balls every time.

I thinks its too low we win by at least 10 dixon looked like a mess yesterday and leftwich looked even worse what do you think we will beat the steelers by?

If the Falcons offense looked as crisp as it did in some of the past pre seasons...I would not hesitate to agree. But...this offense does not appear to be clicking along on all 4 cylinders yet. Pittsburgh's defense is very tough...its opening game and it will be a hostile environment. Unless the Falcon O line can really assert themselves throughout the game....I dont see a 10 pt win. I do see a 14-13 Falcon victory however.

I'm just gonna talk to you, and ignore one side only. I'm certain you know what you are talking about. There were some major inconsistencies with the Steelers, but should be fixed with a healthier team/better depth and coaching. (I think I hit on question moves by your front office in another thread, and general confusion as to why you guys hired Tomlin). I know your pain, because that was the Mora regime.

In 2008, the Steelers defense was the best defense I've ever seen, and statistically, shattered every stat that goes within a defense that includes points, yards, yards against and so on. We took on the most difficult schedule possibly ever and went 12-4 in that process. We returned basically the SAME players from the Super season in '08 into '09. I never believed into losing one player can backbreak a defense, but losing Polamalu and then Smith certainly did just that and it was evident right off the bat once the slump started. But hey, that's the nature of the game. Polamalu just happens to be that player that comes along once every 20 years and our defensive play calling is certainly built around his capability. That's the beauty of the NFL. One year you could be the best team overall within any unit, and then the next lose to one of the worst. That just goes to show the difficulty in winning in today's NFL but the Steelers will always have defense's in the top 5. That's just how we build things philosophy wise.

Oh yeah, 06, we beat you guys after you won the Superbowl, and then lost to the Browns (and I think the Lions) that same season. It's a terrible shot to the balls every time.

We actually didn't lose to the Browns once that season, we didn't even play the Lions. We did, however, lose to Oakland that next week. During that game against you guys I remember Ben going down with a concussion and he was lighting it up. Ward had a big game as well and remember him losing his shoe, beating De'Angello Hall in a foot race to the house. Great game, a shootout. Slow Alge Crumpler tore us apart that game and I still don't think D!ck LeBeau to this day doesn't think the TE existed on that given Sunday.

Didn't that game have some complications? I remember Troy was called for roughing the kicker and we had penalties inside your territory that prevented us from kicking the game-winning field goal. I was LIVID.

In '02 we played to the infamous tie. We were up by 17 in the 4th QRT, led by Tommy Maddox, only to do what Cowher does best and let off the gas pedal and play turtle ball only to see Plaxico Burress catch a hail marry on the one yard line to end the game. Crazy.

Over the recent years, the Steelers/Falcons have had some classic games. Hope Sunday will be another.

Edited by StainlessStill

In 2008, the Steelers defense was the best defense I've ever seen, and statistically, shattered every stat that goes within a defense that includes points, yards, yards against and so on. We took on the most difficult schedule possibly ever and went 12-4 in that process. We returned basically the SAME players from the Super season in '08 into '09. I never believed into losing one player can backbreak a defense, but losing Polamalu and then Smith certainly did just that and it was evident right off the bat once the slump started. But hey, that's the nature of the game. Polamalu just happens to be that player that comes along once every 20 years and our defensive play calling is certainly built around his capability. That's the beauty of the NFL. One year you could be the best team overall within any unit, and then the next lose to one of the worst. That just goes to show the difficulty in winning in today's NFL but the Steelers will always have defense's in the top 5. That's just how we build things philosophy wise.

We actually didn't lose to the Browns once that season, we didn't even play the Lions. We did, however, lose to Oakland that next week. During that game against you guys I remember Ben going down with a concussion and he was lighting it up. Ward had a big game as well and remember him losing his shoe, beating De'Angello Hall in a foot race to the house. Great game, a shootout. Slow Alge Crumpler tore us apart that game and I still don't think D!ck LeBeau to this day doesn't think the TE existed on that given Sunday.

Didn't that game have some complications? I remember Troy was called for roughing the kicker and we had penalties inside your territory that prevented us from kicking the game-winning field goal. I was LIVID.

In '02 we played to the infamous tie. We were up by 17 in the 4th QRT, led by Tommy Maddox, only to do what Cowher does best and let off the gas pedal and play turtle ball only to see Plaxico Burress catch a hail marry on the one yard line to end the game. Crazy.

Over the recent years, the Steelers/Falcons have had some classic games. Hope Sunday will be another.

Woops, I think I was mixing up 06 and 09. If this game is anything like our past ones, it should be pretty memorable.

Just checked the NFL odds and they point spread ranges from Falcons -1 to -2.5 with a couple of places offering -2. Seems like the trend isn't going the way one person suggested.

In an earlier post in this thread I said the Falcon defense was just about the same as last year's except for a rookie LB and free agent CB. Seems like the loss of the team's sack leader might have a bit of an impact on this game. Haven't seen much talk about that.

The Steeler defense put up some good numbers last year, but couldn't hold leads. **** LeBeau's scheme allows for Polamalu to essentially free lance, and nobody could pick up the slack last year. Combine that with the absence of arguably the best 3-4 DE in the league and you have the Steelers '09 defensive woes pretty well figured out. Someone posted Polamalu played in the loss to Cleveland. Not true.

Again, I don't see the reason for the unbridled optimism from Falcons fans. Matt Ryan has not seen a defense like this before.

On the other hand, Dennis Dixon has better skill position players to help carry the load and the Falcon defense he will face probably won't be as good as it will be in Week 2 and beyond, when Babineaux is back and Robinson's hamstring isn't bothering him as much.

Just checked the NFL odds and they point spread ranges from Falcons -1 to -2.5 with a couple of places offering -2. Seems like the trend isn't going the way one person suggested.

In an earlier post in this thread I said the Falcon defense was just about the same as last year's except for a rookie LB and free agent CB. Seems like the loss of the team's sack leader might have a bit of an impact on this game. Haven't seen much talk about that.

The Steeler defense put up some good numbers last year, but couldn't hold leads. **** LeBeau's scheme allows for Polamalu to essentially free lance, and nobody could pick up the slack last year. Combine that with the absence of arguably the best 3-4 DE in the league and you have the Steelers '09 defensive woes pretty well figured out. Someone posted Polamalu played in the loss to Cleveland. Not true.

Again, I don't see the reason for the unbridled optimism from Falcons fans. Matt Ryan has not seen a defense like this before.

On the other hand, Dennis Dixon has better skill position players to help carry the load and the Falcon defense he will face probably won't be as good as it will be in Week 2 and beyond, when Babineaux is back and Robinson's hamstring isn't bothering him as much.

Please. The other Pittsburgh fans have been fairly objective (as objective as any fan can be) and knowledgeable.

The person suggested odds exactly as you described (unless you don't understand odds). I just googled the odds, and they are in favor of the Falcons 2-2.5 points. Note home teams gain 3, but that's not important. Betting websites are saying take ATL and the points. But it doesn't matter, I don't read websites to you (oh wait... I sort of just did).

I have no idea what you are talking about in regards to the defense. The problem with your lack of knowledge on our offense, even if we ignore that Corey Peters has been beasting it up at DT, is that our young defense has been coming around. We have 2nd and 3rd year DE's coming up. Abraham dropped in sacks last year, in part because of terrible coverage and limited pressure up the middle. Notice that our first round pick last year, Jerry, and new 3rd rounder, Peters, are now in rotation to push the middle.

Oh, and like you mentioned, we have a #1 CB who is actually worthy of that role, and a 1st round pick at OLB.

You are killing LeBeau acting like is entire defense is based around an elite safety. Guess what defenses are awesome with an elite safety? ALL OF THEM! The great coordinators will have a great defense even when their best player gets injured.

Poly DID play in the Cleveland game (well, the first one, you should know they play them twice a year). In fact, he had 4 total tackles and a pick: http://www.nfl.com/players/troypolamalu/gamelogs?id=POL041872&season=2009

Ryan has seen plenty of 3-4 D's, please don't pretend yours is special in some way you can't describe.