Falcons 3rd down defence gets boost from return of DT Peria Jerry

http://www.google.com/hostednews/canadianpress/article/ALeqM5gSspD6ZYKnpOvKmJYaoZ6w1rEVMg

By George Henry (CP) – 16 hours ago

FLOWERY BRANCH, Ga. — Peria Jerry is back, Dunta Robinson seems ready to return and the Atlanta Falcons are feeling better about their defence.

Though third-down efficiency and penalties are still a concern, coach Mike Smith is more confident with the season opener at Pittsburgh only two weeks away.

In Atlanta's 16-6 victory two days ago at Miami, the Dolphins were 2-for-12 on third down. Losing to New England the week before, the Falcons looked helpless as quarterback Tom Brady led conversions on five of his seven third-down snaps in the first half.

"We missed some things on the defensive side of the ball even though we played more efficiently than the week before," Smith said Sunday. "There's still a lot of things that we can correct."

The return of Jerry, a starting nose tackle who missed all but two games as a rookie last year, should help. The former first-round pick looked healthy in disrupting a third-down play with a clean hit of Dolphins quarterback Chad Pennington early in the fourth quarter.

Jerry was relieved to play in game conditions for the first time since a knee injury ended his 2009 season last September. He did not start but spent most of the night in line coach Ray Hamilton's 10-man rotation.

"I'm very excited, very excited to be back out with the guys," Jerry said. "Just to get out and compete, I'm looking forward this week to getting more snaps, and we'll go from there. I just know when they're calling my number, I'm running out there. Everything feels good."

Smith liked what he saw of Jerry after watching the film.

"It was good for Peria, and it was really good for us," Smith said. "It's really the first time he's played football (in 11 months). You could see the rust on him on some of the plays, but I thought he did things we know he's capable of doing in regards to rushing the passer."

Robinson, the high-priced cornerback who is practicing despite what he described as a partially torn hamstring, missed his third straight pre-season game — but the Falcons believe he will be ready to face the Steelers.

Adding two potential marquee players, along with rookie linebacker Sean Weatherspoon — a first-round pick — boosts the confidence of a defence that was the NFL's worst on third down last year.

"This third pre-season game was the one that we really wanted to set the tone for getting off the field on third down," middle linebacker Curtis Lofton said. "We played as a team and did a good job of that."

It's unclear if rookie tackle Corey Peters, a third-round pick, will be able to play in the opener, but the Falcons are unlikely to risk further injury to his knee in the pre-season finale this week at Jacksonville.

Another bright spot has been fewer defensive penalties. The Falcons ranked fourth-worst with 110 in 2009, but they had just one against Miami and none against the Patriots.

Second-string safety William Moore had the lone miscue on an illegal contact penalty that led to a third-quarter field goal.

The Falcons also need kicker Matt Bryant to steady his leg immediately. Bryant is 3-for-5 on field goal attempts this pre-season, missing wide right from 47 against Kansas City and from 50 against New England. He also failed to convert an extra point against the Dolphins.

"We can't miss extra points, that's for sure," Smith said. "A 50-yard field goal, that's more acceptable. When you miss extra points, those things usually come back to haunt you."

Copyright © 2010 The Canadian Press. All rights reserved.

Edited by geneaut

lol, so the return of jerry made our defense look good????did he even do anything besides get owned by his brother??just like last year against the dolphins and how everybody made a big deal about how he was the difference maker. I think not. Im just not on the jerry bandwagon just yet. He has alot to prove.

I thought the thread title seemed a little illogical myself :) Good to see him on the field, but I'm needing to see a little more before I crown him our best DT.

The author did pickup on the K situation. I have to admit I'm slowly starting to lose faith in Bryant. He's got no more wiggle room with me at the moment.

http://www.google.co...KmJYaoZ6w1rEVMg

Robinson, the high-priced cornerback who is practicing despite what he described as a partially torn hamstring, missed his third straight pre-season game — but the Falcons believe he will be ready to face the Steelers.

Partially torn hammy? Ouch. No idea how fast those things heal up, but if he's practicing that's at least positive.

Another bright spot has been fewer defensive penalties. The Falcons ranked fourth-worst with 110 in 2009, but they had just one against Miami and none against the Patriots.

Houston accounted for 95% of those penalties with pass interference. Addition by subtraction. And yes, I made up that stat.

Second-string safety William Moore had the lone miscue on an illegal contact penalty that led to a third-quarter field goal.

And that was a BS call if I ever saw one. And the Oscar goes to...

I watched the game and thought he did pretty good. If anything his effect of being on the field allowed our other players to do things. I mean a NT doesn't get a whole lot of sacks but when they take on double teams it allows the DE's to go off.

I watched the game and thought he did pretty good. If anything his effect of being on the field allowed our other players to do things. I mean a NT doesn't get a whole lot of sacks but when they take on double teams it allows the DE's to go off.

Especially on our team that stresses a strong DT rotation. If Jerry can just 'hold his on' and let Babs get a breather he's helping out a little.

I wasn't expecting Jerry to come back from a new injury like that and set the world on fire ( ie see Lewis last year ). I'm just happy to see him take the field and not get dominated. Hopefully we'll see a progression as he gets more and more into game shape.

i got a bad feeling about d-rob and that hammy being more than it really is.

I'm not exactly all warm and fuzzy about it myself, but even if he misses the Pitt game I'm not exactly worried. I'd love for him to be 100% for both NO games though.

Hope he continues to heal and he's ready to go for games that count.

Partially torn hammy?

WTF?

I believe it was SportsFreak who posted last week that he wouldnt play any preseason games because he was reinjured. The injuries are killing us and a hammy at his position is big I wouldnt be surprised to see him miss time this year.

Don't fall into the SWIFT or JEDI trap, he has been practicing at full speed for 10 days, no reason to even risk having him play in a pre season game.

in the famous words of allen iverson...practice, practice, not the game but practice.

If he has been going full speed in practice then whats then what are we risking by putting him in???so if he gets beat up on the first couple of games, will we make excuses of him just knocking the rust off since he hasnt really been up against any other reciever from another team???

I believe it was SportsFreak who posted last week that he wouldnt play any preseason games because he was reinjured. The injuries are killing us and a hammy at his position is big I wouldnt be surprised to see him miss time this year.

So far Sportsfreak has been uncannily correct on almost everything.

How do I keep missing her posts? I need to find out if I can subscribe to all her posts or something.