Grimes or Owens

Peyton

Left CB  

273 members have voted

1. 1. Who should start at LCB for the Falcons in 2010?

• Chris Owens
    • Brent Grimes

I think that hasn't been mentioned enough. Even if Grimes is a better cover corner than Owens, and I'm not convinced that he is by very much, corners need to be able to tackle all over the field. Owens is much tougher, and overall I think he'd be worth more to the defense.

so let me get this straight, ur saying that CB are suppose to tackle first then think about covering a guy???? last i checked there arnt to many CBs that can come up and lay the wood, or even physical for that matter, a CB job is to cover first tackle second.....

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so let me get this straight, ur saying that CB are suppose to tackle first then think about covering a guy???? last i checked there arnt to many CBs that can come up and lay the wood, or even physical for that matter, a CB job is to cover first tackle second.....

I'm saying that in addition to pass coverage, CBs often need to tackle a TE, or a RB, or a receiver they weren't covering, or sack a QB, etc.

So if the difference in coverage skills is not that great, but if the difference in tackling and all-around play is, then that should be considered.

I'm saying that in addition to pass coverage, CBs often need to tackle a TE, or a RB, or a receiver they weren't covering, or sack a QB, etc.

So if the difference in coverage skills is not that great, but if the difference in tackling and all-around play is, then that should be considered.

considered? yes, but not the tell tell sign of it all tho... grimes can and is a willing tackler, thats all that matters, doesnt matter if he can knock the guy head of like owens can, i want him to take the ball away from the offense, thats far more hurtful then a hit.... and the cover skills are just a lil bit off... i dnt kno about that one, i think its more of a gap between there cover skills by a good margin....

Edited by madman88

In reality, I don't think there even has been a position battle in this camp, despite the fact that more than half of the board thinks Owens should be starting. I think Grimes did enough last year to lock up the position and Owens has only been playing outside in camp because of the Robinon injury.

I agree. Dude got one good hit on Welker and everyone is on his nuts. I have to admit tho. It was a SICK hit! Sellers face was like WTF? Grimes picked Brees off in the second game the EXACT same way as he did Freeman in the last game of the season. And if those int's don't count cus it's easier competition, then I guess Owens came away with 0 int's cus it was from crappy qb's

OK even by that logic I still fail to see how grimes is better than owens...did you watch that play where he tried to jam marshall and totally lost his footing?

Tackling is a huge part of being CB..so some short plays dont turn into huge ones like the san fran and dallas whiffed tackles.

its not a question for me i'll take owens.

In reality, I don't think there even has been a position battle in this camp, despite the fact that more than half of the board thinks Owens should be starting. I think Grimes did enough last year to lock up the position and Owens has only been playing outside in camp because of the Robinon injury.

Peyton I'm with you man - I just think Grimes is the best CB on the team! - No offense to Owens he had his moments in the pre's but I think you just can't sit a guy coming off a six interception season thats madness!

You know what i cant wait for? After this season, Grimes will be a RFA. I wanna see if the FO tenders him or just signs him to a long term deal. It will all depend of course on how this season goes. And if he has even close to the season he had last year (8 starts/6 INT's). They would be STUPID to tender him and let him test the waters in 2012. I wonder if you guys would miss him once another teams picks him up? Could u imagine a guy like him on the opposing sideline waiting for Matt Ryan to throw the ball 5 yards short? Can you say PICK 6? Anybody that doesnt think Grimes is the BEST corner on the team is crazy and doesnt even deserve a reply from me. I cant argue with fools because from a distance, you cant tell which is the fool and which is intelligent.

Maybe not an even competition for the start of the year, but the coaches are definitely looking at Owens and wondering if and when he can start. If Grimes fell back and Owens stepped up in preseason, then yes there was a position battle going on.

• 1 month later...

Stuff like this bugs the crap out of me - we went up against TO and Ochocinco today - two very talented receivers against a team that threw the ball 50 times...50 times dude...that's asking our DBs to do alot; especially when we rarely brought heat.

Grimes is a good CB, Owens continues to develop...

• 2 months later...

Reading this made me laugh

LOL interestingly people are still voting and Grimes is making a comeback.

For people who frown on me for bumping this thread at the end of the season, please understand that I started it just so I could bump it at the end of the season.

Glad I didn't post on this I voted for Owens though... and that is why I am not an NFL scout... and to be fair we were all making the decision without much evidence

I agree with you that there wasn't a ton of evidence on Owens.

Grimes played outstanding football at the end of 2009, people just discounted it because of a perception he was playing weak competition.