Watching the Bengals/Eagles game

Andersen Fan

I managed to catch the game tonight, and I took a look at some of the rookies that folks on the board wanted to see in red and black. A lot of them looked very sharp, whereas our draft picks have been in my opinion, severely underwhelming.

Brandon Graham managed to get consistent pressure whenever he was in and managed to get a sack and 2 TFL. Commentators said that the Eagles were really impressed with him so far.

Carlos Dunlap and Geno Adkins looked sharp and each managed to record a sack . Both managed to get very good pressure when they were in and Dunlap was playing at both end and DT. Dunlap seems to be the type of player JA98 is supposed to be, but in his rookie year.

Jordan Shipley looked pretty good, only one reception, but he is apparently good enough to be competing for the #3 spot.

And let's take a look at the Falcon's side of the fence...

Spoon looks lost out there, and doesn't appear to be excelling in coverage or run D.

Peters looks promising, but is already injured. I'm not feeling too confident about his durability, and I am not sure if he is that much better than Adkins.

And Meier is out for the year.

I know it is early, and our picks have time to develop, but I am not seeing huge flashes of brilliance. The injuries and lack of production don't exactly leave me with a warm fuzzy feeling all over...

Edited by Andersen Fan

I think Weatherspoon will be fine. He probably needs to keep his mouth shut until he gets his game down. He looked really bad on that TD pass that turned him around.

The entire LB corps needs some work. I dont know what happened to Lofton, letting Fred Taylor run like that against us.

I think Weatherspoon will be fine. He probably needs to keep his mouth shut until he gets his game down. He looked really bad on that TD pass that turned him around.

The entire LB corps needs some work. I dont know what happened to Lofton, letting Fred Taylor run like that against us.

It looked bad but that was a great throw to Hernandez' back side by Brady.Spoon had the front covered though off balanced.Old Man Taylor killed us again.

It looked bad but that was a great throw to Hernandez' back side by Brady.Spoon had the front covered though off balanced.Old Man Taylor killed us again.

Yep Spoon had great coverage on Hernandez and Chris Houston is going to be the next D. Sanders and we let him go.

Not really sure why he got negative marks. In the past 10 year have seen many poster make same kind of thread's. He is wondering if we drafted the right players. TD has been great but no one if infallible.

Edited by swgadirtybird

I am not going to hate on the OP cause I agree with some of it. I love our picks. If Spoon can be who we think he can be then we will be fine. Peters has alot of experience at DT and is an extremely smart player. I loved the Meier pick so I would not think twice about changing that pick.

Having said all that I wanted Graham badly. He is that rare DE who does more than just want to get a sack. He plays angry and extremely physical. Guaranteed if he cracks the starting lineup he will get DROY. Atkins was another guy I wanted and a guy who got drafted very late in the draft. Alot later than most people had in their mock drafts. Maybe the sickle cell is what scared alot of people away.

Honestly, I never wanted any of Dunlap (motor, character), Adkins (lack of production) or Shipley (we have HD for the slot).

However Graham is looking exactly like who I thought he was. Although I'd be kicking myself far more if he had gone at 17 or 18 - we couldn't have got up to 13 without our second rounder.

It's a pity to an extent but Spoon didn't look that much worse than Lofton Thursday and we know Lofton can play when the real stuff starts. I hope the coaching staff picks a position for him and sticks to it though - his head must be swimming with all the assignments.

And let's take a look at the Falcon's side of the fence...

Spoon looks lost out there, and doesn't appear to be excelling in coverage or run D.

Again, he was never drafted for his pass coverage. He's great at rushing the quarterback and stopping those nagging 3rd down run plays that we seemed to have quite a problem with last season. You'll see the real Spoon come preseason game 4 I believe.

I bet we all believe the poster is losing his mind. This is only preseason man, calm down. I say, "it's time to worry." Kerry Meier is out for the season. How many of you really think the regular season is going to ignite something in these rookies and some bubble players?

I too, watched the Bengals vs. Philadelphia game. I too, wondered about this Falcons filter as Atkins ran down Michael Vick and sacked him for a lost. We couldn't get Graham because Philly moved up and grabbed him. But we could have had Atkins, easily.

Our first and second round picks of the '09 draft are not durable. Heck, we don't know if William Moore will ever make it through an entire season. Jerry, well the vote is still out on him, but while he played, I wasn't overly impressed with his performance. Now Weatherspoon isn't amounting to much of a first pick as well.

This is the bottom line. We look average at best against the upper echelon of the NFL and I don't like it. As an organization we should be further along. No excietement, no spectacular moments, a mediocore organization for a mediocore result. "Rise Up" indeed, that includes the decision makers. "Rise Up" for sure, or you'll be on the down side of a failing team lacking support from its fan base.

Wow, it's incredible. There is just no satisfying fans. Spoon got beat for a TD. I am glad he got beat the way he did. He had coverage on the guy in the back of the endzone. He turned his head to find the ball. This is something our previous top CB wouldn't do. If you never try to find the ball, the pass will complete and you will tackle the guy, you will not get INT's, and you will not deflect many passes. The downside of turning your head is that you can lose track of the player you are covering. If the ball was already thrown when he turned his head, he could've made a play on the ball. Since it hadn't been thrown, the player he was covering was able to slow down and Brady hit him on the back shoulder in the back of the endzone.

This isn't a video game. They are real people. If we had pressure that would've caused Brady to throw a second earlier, Spoon would've had a play on the ball. It's not rocket science, it's physics. Nobody has eyes in the back of their head. If they don't take their eyes off the player, they never see the ball. If they take their eyes off the player, they risk losing their coverage.

Most passes are thrown in under 3 seconds, especially in the Redzone. A player should keep coverage for 3 seconds before turning their head. Sometimes you will get beat, sometimes you get a play on the ball. Would you rather him just run stride for stride and watch him catch it?