Third Down Defense

jaynap1

The biggest problem I saw from our first team defense last night was, much the same as last year, our inability to get off the field on third down.

We play excellent defense on first and second down, and we did a great job in covering the long passes and getting guys flying to the ball on the short routes. I have very little to complain about there. Even our run defense looked great on first and second downs.

Third down, though, was a nightmare. 3rd and 7, 3rd and 7, 3rd and 2 - all converted on one drive. This was a glaring issue for the Falcons defense last year, and I was having flashbacks again last night.

I try not to put too much weight on preseason games, as I understand that guys are still shaking off the rust and getting back in the swing of things, but this concerns me. Actually, it terrifies me. This bothers me much more than the offense's inability to finish drives through two preseason games.

In the esteemed opinions of my fellow MB'ers, what's the issue? Personnel? Inability to react to offensive audibles? Play calling?

A little insight might prevent me from throwing something through my television during the Miami game.

The biggest problem I saw from our first team defense last night was, much the same as last year, our inability to get off the field on third down.

We play excellent defense on first and second down, and we did a great job in covering the long passes and getting guys flying to the ball on the short routes. I have very little to complain about there. Even our run defense looked great on first and second downs.

Third down, though, was a nightmare. 3rd and 7, 3rd and 7, 3rd and 2 - all converted on one drive. This was a glaring issue for the Falcons defense last year, and I was having flashbacks again last night.

I try not to put too much weight on preseason games, as I understand that guys are still shaking off the rust and getting back in the swing of things, but this concerns me. Actually, it terrifies me. This bothers me much more than the offense's inability to finish drives through two preseason games.

In the esteemed opinions of my fellow MB'ers, what's the issue? Personnel? Inability to react to offensive audibles? Play calling?

A little insight might prevent me from throwing something through my television during the Miami game.

I don't know about insight, but i have a guess.

We are a very aggressive, attacking style defense on 1st and 2nd down. We are a conserative, don't break, keep them in front of you on 3rd down. Smith said it himself, he belives they were too conservative, not taking the grass, waiting for the plays to come to them. I'm wondering if Van Gorder trys to play it safe on 3rd down and just guard the line in a prevent defense type format instead of being just as aggressive as he was on 1st and 2nd down to get them in that situation.

Just a thought

one 3rd down that still sticks out to me is when hoyer threw it to the outside like a screen pass, and i think #37 look frozen solid waiting for the reciever to make a move. Instead of using the sideline as another defense, he put his back towards the sideline and gave the reciever the open field and got the first down. WHO THE H@LL IS #37????

I try not to put too much weight on preseason games, as I understand that guys are still shaking off the rust and getting back in the swing of things, but this concerns me.

The Patriots don't have to shake off rust and get back in the swing of things? Our team got owned, plain and simple.

Our defense is still helpless without Dunta Robinson...

What scares me is our reliability on one player, this one player and his health will make or break our season, and currently he is having hamstring problems. :(

On another note, they just had "Bad Moon Rison" on ESPN First Take. He's still talking

trash. Says he would like to go help out the Detroit Lions.

If my TV and remote are going to stay intact this year we better get our 3rd down D fixed. Pronto!!!

Nothing in football makes my blood boil more than not getting off the field!

angry.gif

It's an epidemic that is shortening falcon fans lifespans... Lets see, would u rather chew glass, slide down a 20 ft. razor blade into a pot of alcohol, or have to endure the torture of watching our D allow another 3rd down conversion... buzzzzzz, times up... I choose A & B...

Having Robinson and Grimes out there couldn't hurt, I suppose. I agree that it's concerning that our defense could be that reliant on one or two people.

It doesn't concern me nearly as much with the second and third teamers, because, frankly (hopefully), they won't be on the field as much. When they are on the field, they'll have starters surrounding them to make up for the deficit in talent as opposed to having other 2nd and 3rd team guys.

one 3rd down that still sticks out to me is when hoyer threw it to the outside like a screen pass, and i think #37 look frozen solid waiting for the reciever to make a move. Instead of using the sideline as another defense, he put his back towards the sideline and gave the reciever the open field and got the first down. WHO THE H@LL IS #37????

Thats what I was wondering ! Like why in the world would you just sit there and wait until the WR makes a move on YOU!? that guy, whoever it was better not make the team.

And to the OP Very great post. In fact you beat me to it.

I mean seriously, that dome is freakin ELECTRIC, especially on 3rd downs, believe me when i say that Fans not making enough noise is not the problem. We were screaming our head off (no voice)/

This getting off the field thing on 3rd down is really ticking me off :angry:

Edited by FalconPio

It's an epidemic that is shortening falcon fans lifespans... Lets see, would u rather chew glass, slide down a 20 ft. razor blade into a pot of alcohol, or have to endure the torture of watching our D allow another 3rd down conversion... buzzzzzz, times up... I choose A & B...

or choice C. :o

obama-hobbled-senate.jpg

If my TV and remote are going to stay intact this year we better get our 3rd down D fixed. Pronto!!!

Nothing in football makes my blood boil more than not getting off the field!

:angry:

Nothing gets my blood boiling more than the other team coverts a 3rd and LONG. I am getting mad just thinking about it.

Could it be that your starting CBs weren't playing and these were the Patriots? The Patriots are tough enough on starting CBs let alone backup CBs.

Edited by Chitown2ATL_Falcon

Could it be that your starting CBs weren't playing and these were the Patriots? The Patriots are tough enough on starting CBs let alone backup CBs.

If it were only the Patriots that it happened against, it would be frustrating but more tolerable. After all, Tom Brady is Tom Brady. He makes guys like Deion Branch into All Pros.

If you watched, say, even 4 Falcons games last season, though, you'd know that it's not just the Patriots. Even a 25% sampling of our season last year would show you that our defense legitimately struggles on third down.

I also agree, to an extent, that the starting corners not being in the game makes a difference. However, there's an issue with our front 7, as well. On the Pats' first scoring drive, they converted 3rd and 7 twice, then scored on 3rd and 2.....all on running plays. That, more than the aerial attack, is what I find totally unacceptable. You cannot let a team convert third and long by running counters and draws if you hope to have any success throughout the year.

The 3rd and long draw plays for first downs were killin me, personally....oh yeah, and the TD's where no one wanted to tackle.

Or Taylor's 28 yard scoring run where a D-lineman absolutely blew up DeCoud, then it looked like one of our corners pushed the other one down?

All I knew to yell was "YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG!"

Edited by jaynap1

Or Taylor's 28 yard scoring run where a D-lineman absolutely blew up DeCoud, then it looked like one of our corners pushed the other one down?

All I knew to yell was "YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG!"

If you watch the play closely, you'll see Coleman actually has him half wrapped up until DeCoud arrives...

DeCoud shoulders into Taylor, bumping Coleman off...

then Babs comes in and completely clears off Coleman and DeCoud.

Accidents happen...but none of that would have happened if everyone involved wrapped up.

If you watch the play closely, you'll see Coleman actually has him half wrapped up until DeCoud arrives...

DeCoud shoulders into Taylor, bumping Coleman off...

then Babs comes in and completely clears off Coleman and DeCoud.

Accidents happen...but none of that would have happened if everyone involved wrapped up.

the whole dam thing was nightmare on elm street... everything those aholes did worked like a charm and it was nothing fancy. The good thing is that as much as could go wrong... did go wrong... and maybe now we can take a shower and rinse of the $hit, and move onsleep.gif