It just kinda sunk in about Chipper

=abrahamburger=

If this is it for Chipper

I always respected the guy for playing through pain. Sure, there were some that wished he would retire and thought he was "fragile." But they seemed to forget (or flat out ignore) bone spurs in his feet for the last decade, and the special shoes/socks/regiments he did to overcome this constant pain. They seem to forget that he tore his ACL 16 years ago. Or maybe they just remembered his dipping problems and the Hooters adultery scandal. Or maybe they were just rival fans with no sense of class.

Either way, what I remember is him carrying this team on his back at different times for years. He was a cocky kid that could back up his stares (he never talked that much trash, in fact, he was pretty respectable in interviews which was classy and something Rollins never learned) with play on the field.

Man, he used to be a monster. A man on 1st with two outs and we needed a double, he'd hit a triple. Down by two and men on, there's a 3-run shot. Needed insurance? Solo shot by Chipper. He was so underrated and so valuable to this team.

His defense never shined and he never got that gold glove, but he was a tank that moved from left field to 3rd base and did just fine.

His adultery scandal? He brought that to the press. He confessed. He didn't lie about it like the modern day athlete, he manned up on his un-manlike actions, which turned a lot of swooning girl/women fans off to him but garnered respect from quite a few fans (myself included).

Then he took less money to play for us after Turner sold the team. I mean, how many players do that in this day and age? That's practically unheard of in any sport. He didn't just say "I want to play here" then take off for another team paying more. Can we be honest? There were teams looking to get him and willing to pay much more. But he stayed here. Maybe it's ghey, but I f*cking respect the he** out of him for doing that.

And now he goes down for the season making a tough play to keep us in a close game during a playoff run.

Say what you will about the man, cause I don't feel like arguing, but the guy gave us EVERYTHING he could. And in my book, he just passed Dale Murphy as my all-time favorite Brave. When Murphy was traded to the Phillies, I was sad; I'll admit. I was 13 years old when Murph was traded, and I was mowing grass to get money to go to games. When we won the division, the first thought in my head was "Man, I wish Murphy was here to be a part of this team. He deserves it." The truth was, Murph wasn't the player he used to be, but I didn't care about that; I was 13 years old.

Now I'm 33. A bit older, a bit wiser, and now I see players as players, not heroes. But I think about how a 13 year old kid would feel today, about Chipper Jones. Their dad's gonna tell them that there goes one of the best Braves players of all-time. Only, the kid will already know, because Chipper is that child's hero.

I'm gonna miss this guy.

i have no respect for a man who cant even play the sport of baseball with out getting hurt year in and year out...seriously i played baseball for 15 years and i not once missed a game due to injury....point blank chipper should be left out of the hall of fame because he would disgrace the hall and the likes of real 3rd basemen/short stops...like cal ripken jr.

i have no respect for a man who cant even play the sport of baseball with out getting hurt year in and year out...seriously i played baseball for 15 years and i not once missed a game due to injury....point blank chipper should be left out of the hall of fame because he would disgrace the hall and the likes of real 3rd basemen/short stops...like cal ripken jr.

You sir, are a ******* idiot. Congratulations for playing baseball for 15 years, but its hard to get injured when you're riding the bench.

I hope someone punches you in the face today.

:lol:

Look, I hate the Braves... Hate them more than the Cubs and Cardinals but slightly less than the Yankees... I've hated them since about '92 when everyone started jumping on their bandwagon in middle school just like they did with the Cowboys and I've hated them ever since...

That said, I respect the **** out of Chipper Jones as a ballplayer... He's going straight to Cooperstown and will go down as one of the best switch hitters to ever play the game... It's sad that his career has to end this way but as a non-Braves baseball fan, to me he is pretty much the epitome of a "ballplayer."

See you in Cooperstown, Mr. Jones...

Lmao at this noob coming on here and saying this. Gtfo man seriously

And I thought I said some stupid **** before on this board.

You sir have jsut won the ****tard of year award.

So I guess u have no respect for Ken Griffey Jr either?

Well said, AB. I'm completely in the dumps about Chipper, this is effecting me much more than I would have suspected.

His defense never shined and he never got that gold glove, but he was a tank that moved from left field to 3rd base and did just fine.

No, he was never a Gold Glove guy, and his lateral range was kind of painfully bad (hard to believe he was drafted as a SS). BUT... I don't know if I've ever seen a better 3B charge hard on a slow roller or bunt, bare-hand the ball, and gun the runner out at first off-balance. He had that play down to a tee.

While I knew the news wasn't going to be good, the reality still hasn't set in for me. I just can't get over that it could have potentially been his last game as an Atlanta Brave. Earlier this year, he was struggling, he was frustrated, and like many fans, retirement became an idea. But he stuck with it, and has been ripping it up lately. Like I've seen others say, if this is the end, I wish it could have been on his own terms. It will probably set in for me when I see him in the dugout and not on the field Friday.

STFU

I hope someone punches you in the face today.

I volunteer

And I thought I said some stupid **** before on this board.

You sir have jsut won the ****tard of year award.

yep and I thought you had that won hands down j/k

Unimaginative Troll is unimaginative.

Beer league softball isn't "playing baseball".

And sorry, but playing t-ball, little league, AAU, high school, and riding the pine for a tiny college also isn't "playing baseball".

little league is way different than the majors.

Wow...

I played baseball also, and at most I played about 40 games in a season.

Let's try this. I want you to play 162 games of baseball. Every 7-10 days I want you to fly to 2 or 3 various cities across the country in the middle of the night, arrive at various times of the morning, then get up and do it again. I will give you one day off every 2 weeks or so.

If you start today, you will be done with this chore on approximately February 1st. Now do this every year for 16 years and see if you don't have some injuries every now and again.

144940994-831bdf5cad8b14cc6b349918d130cd68.4c655df0-full.jpg

I'm in denial...I hope he comes back next year.

I'm with you slamee.....I could easily see a scenario where Chipper rehabs like crazy and comes back next spring in the best shape he's been in years......has a really great season and retires with a WS ring.

That's what I want to believe will happen.

Chipper will always be one of my top 5 favorite Atlanta sports icons.

I would hate to see him go out this way. I saw a show about his Double Dime Ranch a few months ago and it seems he has his retirement all planned out.

I hope he comes back and plays but with Bobby leaving......I just don't know.

tyler16??

if not you might even suck more than him

if this is it for chipper we will be retiring number 10