• Mike Peterson (calf)
  • Dunta Robinson (hamstring)
  • William Moore (groin)
  • Matt Giordano (groin)
  • Jerious Norwood (hip flexor)
  • Peria Jerry (knee)
  • Harry Douglas (knee)
  • Brian Williams (knee)

Is this an official list from somewhere? Coach said there would be 9 players out in one of the Rapid Reports, but your list only shows 8 players. Also had read Jerry was in for KC (though I was surprised).

didnt norwood have that same injury last year???whoever is the team's doctor needs to be handed his pink slip.

Falcons part ways with longtime team trainer Ron Medlin

6:32 pm January 19, 2010, by D. Orlando Ledbetter

090426 FLOWERY BRANCH Atlanta Falcons GM Thomas Dimitroff and head coach Mike Smith introduce their NFL draft pick, Peria Jerry, Ole Miss defensive tackle, during a press conference at their facility in Flowery Branch last April. KENT D. JOHNSON / kdjohnson@AJC.COM-- The coin toss is set for late next month, but it's never too early to look at what's at stake.

UPDATE:

Ron Medlin, who had been with the Falcons for the last 16 seasons as the head athletic trainer, will not return for next season, the team confirmed.

In what was termed by the team as a football decision, Medlin was not retained because of philosophical differences.

Medlin, when reached by phone at his home in Suwanee, did not want to comment only stating that “this is part of the business.”

Last season, several starters missed more than 40 games as the team was beset with injuries. The most significant was a high right ankle sprain to running back Michael Turner, who played in just nine games. He tried to come back twice from the injury, but was knocked out of both of those games.

Also, quarterback Matt Ryan missed two games and most of another with a turf toe injury.

The Falcons are the only team in the league with director of athletic performance. The trainers and doctors report to Jeff Fish, the team’s director of athletic performance.

Medlin was only the third head athletic trainer in team history.

Prior to joining the Falcons, Medlin was the assistant athletic trainer for the Cleveland Browns from 1989-93.

He served an internship with the Falcons for six seasons in the 1980s. He holds a bachelor’s degree from N.C. State and a master’s from Memphis.

And every single one of them will probably play by week 1...except Jenkins, and maybe not Brian

• Mike Peterson (calf)
  • William Moore (groin)
  • Matt Giordano (groin)
  • Peria Jerry (knee)
  • Harry Douglas (knee)
  • Brian Williams (knee)

I would presume that Jenkins isnt playing either.

• Mike Peterson (calf)
  • William Moore (groin)
  • Matt Giordano (groin)
  • Peria Jerry (knee)
  • Harry Douglas (knee)
  • Brian Williams (knee)

This guy has to get on the field. I don't care if its a preseason game. If he doesn't play next week, I just won't know what to think of him anymore.

I'm a Mighty Mouse fan too (Brent Grimes) but honestly I am concerned with our pass rush, primarily our front 4 pass rush. In my opinion that will dictate our season. Our offense is great as long as Turner show up. Roddy is better than average. I like Jenkins but he has too many drops for me. Gonzales will make up for Jenkins a lot though. On the defensive side of the ball it is crucial that we apply pressure consistantly with our front 4.

I'm not too worried about the list. Better safe than sorry, and it's just the first pre-season game. We'll get a decent feel for what our offense is trying to do, and that'll be it. Very vanilla on both sides of the ball, especially with the number of defensive guys not playing. Expect to see more of them play as we make our way to the season. Not a big deal.....although I'd love to see Moore in action...finally.

Moore being held out is just being really cautious. He could easily play if we needed him.

Coach Smith has been real cautious with any of the guys that have an injury, and I have no problem with that(especially in OTAs, mini camp, TC, and PS).

For those worried about Moore, Coach Smith said it's not a new injury and I'm betting he'll be back in practice sometime next week, and he'll play next week in the PS game.