Chipper has torn ACL likely done for 2010

Unknøwn

An MRI showed Chipper Jones has torn the anterior crucical ligament in his left knee, his agent BB Abbott said Thursday morning. Abbott said he received a text message from Jones, saying the ligament was torn. Jones had been examined by Dr. Marvin Royster, Braves orthopedist who read the MRI.

“He said it was stretched out pretty bad,” Abbott said. “That it was torn and needed to be fixed.”

Abbott said that it appears Jones is headed for season-ending surgery, but that Jones might seek a second opinion. It’s the same knee Jones had surgery on in 1994 which cost him his rookie season.

Jones injured his knee Tuesday night in Houston, jumping as he turned to throw across his body on a groundball up the line by Hunter Pence.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Or we possibly bring up Freeman and Glaus gets to play some 3rd base as well.

I can't imagine Glaus moving back to 3B with his bad knees/legs. Once Prado returns, Infante will probably take over at 3B. I think Hinske has played some 3B early in his career, but he doens't look like he's in any shape to do it again. Maybe we could activate Pendelton.

This is devastating news. I was sad when I first turned on the TV to ESPN...

Here is some possible good news...

Jones' agent B.B. Abbott will fly to Atlanta today to discuss the situation with the 38-year-old third baseman.

If Jones does need surgery, Abbott doesn't believe he will simply retire without attempting to first rehab the injury.

Jones indicated in June that he was leaning toward retiring at the end of this season. But while hitting .307 with seven homers and a .907 OPS in the 44 games that have followed, he has gained reason to believe he could be productive beyond this season.

I can't imagine Glaus moving back to 3B with his bad knees/legs. Once Prado returns, Infante will probably take over at 3B. I think Hinske has played some 3B early in his career, but he doens't look like he's in any shape to do it again. Maybe we could activate Pendelton.

LOL @ activating Pendelton. Infante can play 3rd, but Prado is a better defensive 3rd baseman. So I imagine that Prado will probably play 3rd most of the time with Infante at 2nd.

An MRI showed Chipper Jones has torn the anterior crucical ligament in his left knee, his agent BB Abbott said Thursday morning. Abbott said he received a text message from Jones, saying the ligament was torn. Jones had been examined by Dr. Marvin Royster, Braves orthopedist who read the MRI.

“He said it was stretched out pretty bad,” Abbott said. “That it was torn and needed to be fixed.”

Abbott said that it appears Jones is headed for season-ending surgery, but that Jones might seek a second opinion. It’s the same knee Jones had surgery on in 1994 which cost him his rookie season.

Jones injured his knee Tuesday night in Houston, jumping as he turned to throw across his body on a groundball up the line by Hunter Pence.

This sucks, I can say though I was watching the Braves when Chip made his last play in MLB and it was a great play that got an out. Really bummed about this that an era had to end like that. hopefully we win the WS so his last season goes out with a bang.

When I heard "torn ACL", I was almost in tears at work thinking about Chipper's career ending this way.

"Partial tear" gives me some hope for at least one more season out of him.

Having Conrad helps, as does the versatility of Prado and Infante.

Which 3B's are available on the waiver wire?

Like you said, we could go with what we have now or possibly pick someone up via waivers..
Aramis Ramirez, Pedro Feliz, Wes Helms, Adam Kennedy, Jose Lopez, Brandon Inge, Jhonny Peralta, Ty Wigginton, Edwin Encarnacion and Willie Bloomquist are among the third basemen who could clear waivers this month. The Mariners tried to engage the Braves on Chone Figgins last month, so perhaps Jack Zduriencik will call Frank Wren to see if the Braves are interested now.

I hate this for Chipper, he was just getting back into the grove. If he is indeed out for the year, I sure hope to see him make a comeback, and go out on his own terms.

You won't see Glaus at third...he's hobbling bad enough just getting to the bag at first. We'll be seeing more Conrad, and when Prado returns, I think he should play third, and Infante at second.....that's if we don't acquire anyone else.

The only player on that list I would take over just going with what we have is Figgins. We'll see what Wren has in store.

When I heard "torn ACL", I was almost in tears at work thinking about Chipper's career ending this way.

"Partial tear" gives me some hope for at least one more season out of him.

In a few weeks they'll expand the roster to 25, so that will help. But they need to think about who they'll take into the post season.

As to Chipper, I kinda thought he might be done for 2010, and sadly, this may well be it for him altogether. I know he's not super-old, but even when you're 38, the healing is a little slower, and you're never "good as new".

That's sad because it looked like Chipper was getting back on track.

Bobby would have NEVER sat Chipper should his hitting fall back to where it was the first half of the season. Getting Prado back and having Infante in the everyday lineup could be a plus.

I'm not saying that it's good we lost Chipper......but Omar does deserve to be an every day player.

That's sad because it looked like Chipper was getting back on track.

Bobby would have NEVER sat Chipper should his hitting fall back to where it was the first half of the season. Getting Prado back and having Infante in the everyday lineup could be a plus.

I'm not saying that it's good we lost Chipper......but Omar does deserve to be an every day player.

Not over the way Chipper was playing. Dude was on fire this last month+.

This is devastating news.

I don't even want to think about it. And not simply because "he was starting to hit again". A player of Jones's calibur deserves to go out on his own terms.

He's one of the Braves all-time greats, and a top 10 3B of all time.

Edited by K26dp

I don't even want to think about it. And not simply because "he was starting to hit again". A player of Jones's calibur deserves to go out on his own terms.

He's one of the Braves all-time greats, and a top 5 3B of all time.

There fixed. :-)

Edited by USAF HART