30,000 PPL. Going Crazy In East Point

BTL  FED

http://clatl.com/freshloaf/archives/2010/08/11/the-east-point-housing-authority-might-be-poorly-run

The East Point Housing Authority might be poorly run

Posted by Gwynedd Stuart on Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 5:18 PM

The AJC is reporting that a massive crowd of around 30,000 people descended on Tri-Cities Plaza shopping center in East Point today in order to fill out applications to receive Section 8 housing vouchers.

Fights broke out, children were trampled, and more than 60 people required medical attention after they were forced to wait in the unbearable heat, some for several days.

The real kicker: a sign posted on the door of the storefront where the applications were being distributed explained that vouchers aren’t even available as of now. The most filling out an application will get anyone is a spot on what’s sure to be a lengthy waiting list — and that's only if they qualify.

There are so many questions that need to be asked of the East Point Housing Authority officials about this, most importantly, why it was necessary to create an unsafe situation in order for people of modest means to do something as simple as apply for housing assistance. Are applications not always available? Why the **** not?

Calls to the housing authority's office are sent directly to an automated system that provides the option of either entering your party's extension or listening to a by-name directory. No one's job title is given, and even if you happen to randomly pick the right person, the call is dropped rather than sent to voicemail if they don't pick up. The authority also doesn't appear to have a website — the link provided on the Atlanta Housing Authority's site is down.

DeBorah Hargrove, an executive assistant in East Point Mayor Earnestine Pittman’s office, told CL that people have had trouble contacting the authority by phone all week. Hargrove provided us with East Point Housing Authority executive director Kim Lemish's cell phone number, but she has yet to return our call.

Guest Regular Guy

and yea, they should require drug testing for anyone living there.

That would be like pouring gas on a fire PP. BTW, I like the VW sig.....reminds me of the numerous bugs the family had when I was but a young man :D Good memories of that little pancake motor in the back!

That would be like pouring gas on a fire PP. BTW, I like the VW sig.....reminds me of the numerous bugs the family had when I was but a young man :D Good memories of that little pancake motor in the back!

If you turn the Wolfsburg logo upside down it kinda looks like a skull wearing a fancy headdress. And I say KInda because the Nazis put imagery in everything, so I doubt it's a coinkydink. The VW symbol itself was designed by a Nazi youth in a contest and he said he simply moved a Swastika around until he got a design. :unsure:

Yea, I no doubt paint section 8 folk with a too broad brush. i had many bad dealings with the worst kind when they turned half an apartment complex where I lived into section 8. It went from paradise to #### in about two weeks.

I acknowledge times are so hard now tho, it's hard to call them all free loaders now tho.

I'd say about 98%. down from my previous belief. :P

If you turn the Wolfsburg logo upside down ( the one on my steering wheel, not this one in my sig which has thinner lines) it kinda looks like a skull wearing a fancy headdress. And I say KInda because the Nazis put imagery in everything, so I doubt it's a coinkydink. The VW symbol itself was designed by a Nazi youth in a contest and he said he simply moved a Swastika around until he got a design. :unsure:

Yea, I no doubt paint section 8 folk with a too broad brush. i had many bad dealings with the worst kind when they turned half an apartment complex where I lived into section 8. It went from paradise to #### in about two weeks.

I acknowledge times are so hard now tho, it's hard to call them all free loaders now tho.

I'd say about 98%. down from my previous belief. :P

I wonder how many would have jobs if they put that much energy into actually finding one.

You would be surprised but a lot of them do that for jobs as well. It obviously something your blind to but there are a lot of people without anything right now. This country for some is worst than a 3rd world country. I really think some of you have no idea what goes on in this country.

Edited by #1 pick

You would be surprised but a lot of them do that for jobs as well. It obviously something your blind to but there are a lot of people without anything right now. This country for some is worst than a 3rd world country. I really think some of you have no idea what goes on in this country.

I'm confident you have never been to a 3rd world country.

C'mon. You had to expect some. Articles like this one is like flypaper.

Still, the behavior exhibited by some in the article is shameful.

The incident wouldn't have happened if it was managed better. Of course you're going to have problems when you have 30,000 waiting all day in the heat. only 62 people needed medical attention for various reasons so it doesnt sound that bad to me. The only thing that worries me is why 30,000 people from the tri state area are trying to get in sec 8 so bad

The incident wouldn't have happened if it was managed better. Of course you're going to have problems when you have 30,000 waiting all day in the heat. only 62 people needed medical attention for various reasons so it doesnt sound that bad to me. The only thing that worries me is why 30,000 people from the tri state area are trying to get in sec 8 so bad

I agree with that. I get grumpy when I'm hot myself.

After being in the military 10+ years, I had to get used to the government telling me to hurry up and wait.

In other words, people that are too lazy to work and want free housing, got heat exhaustion from drankin too many 40's in the heat and not enough water

This kind of thinking no longer applies, the unemployment rate is over 10% and from all reports nearly every job opening has swarms of people applying for it. Unemployed people are not just lazy do nothings anymore they can be people that worked at a company for decades and lost their job through no fault of their own and simply cannot get hired in the current environment.

Not trying to be funny but if those folks were required to provide proof of seeking employment from at least 3 employers, sign a statement notifying them if they cannot obtain employment within 30 days of being approved for Section 8, then a placement agency we provide them a job which that must accept or lose Section 8 housing. Signed statement that they must be employed at all times while on Section 8 unless they loss their job through no fault of their own (in which case they have to seek employment or agncey will place them in one). A negative drug test result from the past 60 days in order to apply for Section 8 (tax payer funded by actual WORKING people) and 2 random drug tests within 6 months after being approved for Section 8 with a positive test resulting in evection, there would not have been 30,000 people there nor a chaotic scene. I don't mind using my tax dollars to help people but at some point they need to start taking some responsiblity too.

Sorry to rant but if my 16 year old daughter can find a job and work these GROWN folks have no excuses.

My only regret is that I could only give you one plus one on that post.

I know times are hard for jobs, but places like McDonalds are ALWAYS hiring. i eat at Bojangles a lot, and every Tuesday that manager is sitting in the lobby taking applications. I asked him are you really hiring or just keeping a stock of employees. He says he hires several people a week, they will wait to get one paycheck and quit, just stop showing up. Some will never answer the return call, probably just filled out the application to continue their unemployment. I don't get people. Nobody WANTS to work at a place like Bojangles, but ####, show some pride and earn a check. I have never been ashamed of any job I had, whether it was fast food or cleaning goose #### off of peoples boat docks. It payed the bills.

Here's a good perspective.....(Video proof)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9q36UFzx70

" there has to be a more dignified way, get these people out of the heat.."

Because no one who is WORKING is out in the heat, huh? That food lion employee picking up trash in the parking lot, get that guy out of the heat. Those power plant workers making sure your air conditioners have juice. Get them out of the heat. the road crews paving roads, the guys putting down shingles and mowing lawns, get them out of the heat.

Some peoples reasoning skills are just insane.