Pat Yasinskas impressed with Falcons rookies

theProf

Another set of eyes: ESPN.com NFC South blogger Pat Yasinskas has been with the Falcons since Monday, observing the four practices, compiling and gathering information for the upcoming season.

Atlanta is the last visit for Yasinskas on his camp rounds this preseason and he’s been impressed with what he’s seen.

Yasinskas, who covered the Panthers for the Charlotte Observer and the Bucs for the Tampa Tribune before joining ESPN in 2008, said the 2010 draft class is one of the biggest stories in Falcons camp.

Rookie Sean Weatherspoon has garnered much of the rookie headlines for the Falcons and Yasinskas agrees that, in his eyes, the linebacker’s as advertised, but also believes defensive tackle Corey Peters could figure to be a significant part of the D-line rotation this season. The third-rounder out of Kentucky, according to sources Yasinskas has spoken to within the franchise, has had a very solid camp.

Yasinskas has also been especially impressed with two later-round players — wide receiver Kerry Meier and safety Shann Schillinger. In those two rookies, he sees players that he believes will make the roster and contribute immediately on special teams.

“Meier also could have some impact as a wide receiver,” Yasinskas said. “Schillinger seems to be a guy who is perfect for special teams. He’s willing to do anything and I’ve been pleasantly surprised by how good he’s been here.”

http://www.atlantafalcons.com/2010/08/notebook-pm-practice-august-10/

Seems alot of the Frank talk has died down.

You are correct in that Franks was getting some very nice reviews at the start of training camp. Haven't heard that much about him within the last several days, but that doesn't necessarily mean that he is no longer progressing and impressing.

Seems alot of the Frank talk has died down.

Franks is going to be a Kick Returner/Punt Returner for the first 2 years of his NFL career - it will most likely be year 3 before he contends for playing time in the defense. With Dunta #1, Grimes/Owens at #2/#3, Brian Williams #4 and Chevis Regal #5 - all solidly ahead with experience - its unrealistic to get too excited about Franks as anything more than a KR/PR in the near future.

outside Spoon I really dont see any Falcon rookies making a big impact and if that was TD stance to add depth I think he could have done it much better..This team needs some play makers..

Peters can make a impact if Jerry aint what we thought he was but thats a slap in the face for then wasting a first round pick in Jerry

outside Spoon I really dont see any Falcon rookies making a big impact and if that was TD stance to add depth I think he could have done it much better..This team needs some play makers..

Peters can make a impact if Jerry aint what we thought he was but thats a slap in the face for then wasting a first round pick in Jerry

Well Atlanta got a defensive "play maker" in Spoon. Then they did not have another draft pick until the middle of the third round. At this point in the draft, play makers are very hard to come by. I don't think that Atlanta could have gotten an immediate starting play-making WR or TE or DE at this point in the draft, so they drafted a disruptive-type of DT in Corey Peters. Peters should still get signficant rotational playing time this season no matter how well Jerry plays. IMO Jerry will be a very disruptive play making DT, who is worthy of a first round selection, if he can avoid the injury bug.

TD then added interior OL with midround selections of Johnson and Hawley, who should provide qualty depth right now and should be able to start in the near future. The midrounds are usually the best point in the draft for acquiring the best value for interior offensive linemen. I think that Meiers will provide good quality depth at WR, as virtually everyone has been very impressed with his play thus far. Franks has been impressive at CB during TC, and should get playing time on Special Teams as a returner. Yasinskas said “Schillinger seems to be a guy who is perfect for special teams". Late round draft picks, who make the team on a quality ballclub, usually contribute only on special teams anyway. So how would you have added depth any better than TD did, if you were running the draft???