Francoeur wants out of NY

slamee101

07:59 AM ET 08.11 | Edged from the lineup by a 21-year-old rookie, Jeff Francoeur has told the Mets he'd like to be traded to greener pastures -- i.e., where he could play. "We want to play every day," Francoeur's agent Molly Fletcher said yesterday. "We prefer to play in New York. But if we're not going to play every day in New York, we absolutely welcome the opportunity to play every day somewhere else." The Mets are aware of Francoeur's position, a team official indicated. Eligible for arbitration, Francoeur is a candidate to be non-tendered by the team and cut loose at season's end. He is playing on a one-year, $5 million contract. With Fernando Martinez called up to play ahead of him this past weekend, the writing is on the wall.

The Star-Ledger

Jeff Francoeur , AP

I kind of feel bad for him.

Worst thing that ever happened to this guy was all of his early success....SI cover, etc...I think he thought that he was bulletproof, became even more stubborn in his approach to playing the game.

I'm glad he isn't our problem.

Worst thing that ever happened to this guy was all of his early success....SI cover, etc...I think he thought that he was bulletproof, became even more stubborn in his approach to playing the game.

I'm glad he isn't our problem.

Sounds like another former Braves player that was stubborn as **** and wouldn't listen. Andruw Jones anyone?

Sounds like another former Braves player that was stubborn as **** and wouldn't listen. Andruw Jones anyone?

Frenchy can't carry Andruw's jock.

Andruw was great. People forget how good he was his first 11(!) seasons with the Braves, and focus on the last two "Fat Elvis" seasons.

Don't forget he also ignored the advice of Scott Boras and negotiation his own below-market contract with the Braves just so he could stay with the team. Yes, he still got well-paid, but I'll always like him for that.

Andruw was great. People forget how good he was his first 11(!) seasons with the Braves, and focus on the last two "Fat Elvis" seasons.

Don't forget he also ignored the advice of Scott Boras and negotiation his own below-market contract with the Braves just so he could stay with the team. Yes, he still got well-paid, but I'll always like him for that.

I don't hate Andruw. I root for him every time I get to see him play. But he had an GREAT season in 2000. .303 BA, 36 2B, 6 3B, 36 HR, 104 RBI, 122 R, 199 H, 59 BB, 100 SO, 21 SB. That IMO was his best season ever and he has never come close to repeating it and it was before he got paid that big money deal in 2001. But you are right that he deserves credit for ignoring Scott Boras and letting his dad work out that deal.

I don't hate Andruw. I root for him every time I get to see him play. But he had an GREAT season in 2000. .303 BA, 36 2B, 6 3B, 36 HR, 104 RBI, 122 R, 199 H, 59 BB, 100 SO, 21 SB. That IMO was his best season ever and he has never come close to repeating it and it was before he got paid that big money deal in 2001. But you are right that he deserves credit for ignoring Scott Boras and letting his dad work out that deal.

2002, 2005, and 2006 were even better, if you put them in context with what the league was doing. I'd say he had 4 great seasons, 4 very good seasons, 2 average seasons, and 1 poor season (not including his rookie season at age 19).

He was also probably the best defensive player in the National League from 1997-2001, and a very good defensive player until 2006.

2002, 2005, and 2006 were even better, if you put them in context with what the league was doing. I'd say he had 4 great seasons, 4 very good seasons, 2 average seasons, and 1 poor season (not including his rookie season at age 19).

He was also probably the best defensive player in the National League from 1997-2001, and a very good defensive player until 2006.

No doubt he's the best defensive player I have ever seen. Favorite Andruw Jones catch? Mine is the Spiderman catch in 1998 against the Orioles!