If we went 0-4 in the preseason, would that be a cause for concern?

Im sure we all know that preseason is not for our playmakers to shine, but for the backups and young players to get their shine on. With that said, and how we hear all the talk about us having alot more depth than last year and alot of young players shining in training camp, if we went 0-4, why shouldnt we be worried? I dont think it will happen, but i hear about alot how preseason records dont really matter when in some way it kinda does. Look at the aints last year, they went 3-1 (i think) last year on their way to a superbowl win. Momentum carries over from the preseason onto the regular season, and it also tells us that we wouldnt have to worry about if one of the starters went down, a younger player can step into that role and we still wouldnt miss a beat.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not for me. I've seen teams (including the Falcons) go 4-0 in the preseason and finish below .500 in the regular season.

yea i believe a couple years ago when the lions went 0-16, they had a 4-0 preseason.

No, but look for the panic to start if even a single preseason game is lost.

true, but u play to win every game right???

Several teams have gone 0-4 preseason and made it to the playoffs. I'd be more concerned as to WHY we went 0-4, not if. If we had the lead early, and lost it late, and if it was mostly 3rd stingers giving up late scores, I'd be fine with it. However, if it was injuries and early scoring on us that produced those loses, I'd cry myself to sleep. :(

I really do not care what the pre-season record is.

What I want to see is

1. No injuries

2. Coaches get a good read on which players to keep as backups

3. All players get in shape and ready for regular season.

4. All players get a decent chance at showing what they got.

5. All position battles get resolved. (mostly starting positions)

0-4 in the preseason is not a good indicator of the season ahead, and

it is a indicator that the team has issues.

1-3 is ho hum as an indicator

2-2 is a great indicator

3-1 is ok at best

4-0 ?

You better have another NFL team that you like to follow.

4-0 means that the starters played the bulk of the Preseason and

took away much needed playing time from the rooks,

and the coaches do not have a clue about their team.

The exceptions to this are far and few between.

Preseason Game 3 is the Harbinger of the up coming season.

Game 4 is worthless except for the guys who are trying to secure the final roster spots.

Speaking of which.

Has any team picked up Da-Future yet?

I really do not care what the pre-season record is.

What I want to see is

1. No injuries

2. Coaches get a good read on which players to keep as backups

3. All players get in shape and ready for regular season.

4. All players get a decent chance at showing what they got.

5. All position battles get resolved. (mostly starting positions)

+1 Exactly.

Teams approach pre season differently. Some are in 100% evaluate talent/don't show your cards mode while others are in set the winning tone mode. I personally hate the pre season because I think its only good for injuries and I think most of the talent evaluation could be done in practice and in one maybe two pre season games.

i wouldnt say panic, but you begin to worry only if the 1st string doesnt play well. but if you lose all 4 games, and the 1st string is sharp, no worries.

but of course these boards are full of chicken littles so this place will collapse if we lose the 1st game.

Teams approach pre season differently. Some are in 100% evaluate talent/don't show your cards mode while others are in set the winning tone mode. I personally hate the pre season because I think its only good for injuries and I think most of the talent evaluation could be done in practice and in one maybe two pre season games.

2 Preseason games is a must, to evaluate players.

However, if the League were to eliminate the PS games entirely, then I would like to see 2 more weeks of TC

and incorporate mixed scrimages with 4 other teams. 2 here 2 away.

This would shorten the season by 2 full weeks and the mixed scrimages would be much easier on all players.

If the money grubbing league goes to an 18 game season then scratch out the extra 2 weeks of TC

It means at much as a kicker making 100% of their field goals in 4 preseason games. The 2000 Giants went 0-4 in the preseason and went to the Superbowl. Coaches are evaluating players and keep the play calling simple to not give anything away. They are not trying to win it all. Unless both teams have their best players in the entire game the record is meaningless.

0-4 in the preseason is not a good indicator of the season ahead, and

it is a indicator that the team has issues.

1-3 is ho hum as an indicator

2-2 is a great indicator

3-1 is ok at best

4-0 ?

You better have another NFL team that you like to follow.

4-0 means that the starters played the bulk of the Preseason and

took away much needed playing time from the rooks,

and the coaches do not have a clue about their team.

The exceptions to this are far and few between.

Preseason Game 3 is the Harbinger of the up coming season.

Game 4 is worthless except for the guys who are trying to secure the final roster spots.

Speaking of which.

Has any team picked up Da-Future yet?

My feelings about preseason except 1-3 would be fine if the win was game 3 and a blowout against a good team.

We need to focus on what we do in these games. Who steps up, how we are doing certain things, etc. Sure, we don't want to get blown out (highly unlikely), but it's really not about the scoreboard.

Many on here will piss and moan when/if we lose a pre-season game. Let's focus on how the team looks overall in the pre-season games.

But to answer the question- no....but there will be plenty of people here going into freak mode when we drop one.

Also, the 2008 Detroit Lions were 4-0 in the pre season, and we all know how that turned out....Let's all remember that before we get too excited or bummed out in the next 4 weeks.

:lol: Detroit could only pray for PreSeason to count - they are 11-5 the last 4 years in PreSeason.

0-4 PreSeaon a concern? -- Nah.

Next season (if there IS a season!), the NFL is cutting preseason games down from 4 to 2. I remember when there was 6. The lack of general interest in preseason games form fans and indifference from players and coaches combined with a potential 18 game regular season in the future has prompted this change. That said, if we went 0-4 this preseason it wouldn't bother me one bit. 4-0 or 0-4 makes no difference whatsoever when kick-off time comes for the first regular season game. Two seasons ago, the hapless Lions went 4-0 in pre, then 0-16 in reg. Conversely, the Pats (?) did just about the opposite.

Winning is always nice, but has never been the purpose of preseason contests.

If the Falcons don't win every preseason game, plus a 5th preseason game not on the schedule by a total of 75 points per game, I will formally give up on this team. Included in that as well:

If Weatherspoon does not have 67 tackles a game

If Ryan does not throw for 475 yards and 7 TDs a game

If Michael Turner does not get 274 yds and 6 TDs a game, 2 of those on screen passes

If JA 98 does not get one sack this season

If Abe does not get 113 sacks this season(70 of those against the Saints)

If the cheerleaders don't have a slumber party at my house

If we don't have robotic Frisbee dogs at half time

I will formally give on on this team, never to return to these boards, burn all my Falcons gear and become a soccer fan.

Next season (if there IS a season!), the NFL is cutting preseason games down from 4 to 2. I remember when there was 6. The lack of general interest in preseason games form fans and indifference from players and coaches combined with a potential 18 game regular season in the future has prompted this change. That said, if we went 0-4 this preseason it wouldn't bother me one bit. 4-0 or 0-4 makes no difference whatsoever when kick-off time comes for the first regular season game. Two seasons ago, the hapless Lions went 4-0 in pre, then 0-16 in reg. Conversely, the Pats (?) did just about the opposite.

Winning is always nice, but has never been the purpose of preseason contests.

Where has it been released that Preseason will be cut down to 2 games - heard that is was being speculated I have seen nothing to confirmed it actually happening.

If the Falcons don't win every preseason game, plus a 5th preseason game not on the schedule by a total of 75 points per game, I will formally give up on this team. Included in that as well:

If Weatherspoon does not have 67 tackles a game

If Ryan does not throw for 475 yards and 7 TDs a game

If Michael Turner does not get 274 yds and 6 TDs a game, 2 of those on screen passes

If JA 98 does not get one sack this season

If Abe does not get 113 sacks this season(70 of those against the Saints)

If the cheerleaders don't have a slumber party at my house

If we don't have robotic Frisbee dogs at half time

I will formally give on on this team, never to return to these boards, burn all my Falcons gear and become a soccer fan.

Your Shoes are untied B)