so how is the new madden?

is it basically the same as 10? what are some of the good and bad changes? are there any new additions to franchise mode?

Overall its pretty good but it kind of depends why you buy the game.

Franchise mode: no new additions. They fixed some things as far as simulated stats go and the super bowl celebration is now freakishly cool. But as far as overall franchise, nothing new at all. The good news however is that they said they are doing a complete rehash of franchise and superstar mode starting in maddden 12. Aka we are finally going to get practice squads, bigger offseason rosters, etc.

Strategy pad: makes it more difficult to do things at the line

Gameflow: allows you to call your play faster. You can take the time and adjust your gameplan in the menu to avoid having them call bad plays. Or you can press X and just call your own play or turn it off all together in the menu system.

Gameplay improvements:

The DBs/WRs is by far better than its ever been. Sideline catches/etc are great.

The new locomotion running system is the greatest part about the game. So awesome.

Oh and Gus Johnson is now commentating and he is a big improvement. Plus you can do AFL games and Christmas games and fun things like that.

Franchise mode not only didn't add anything, it took a lot of stuff out. You literally only play games and manage players. There's nothing else at all.

Graphics are nicely improved, as is commentary.

Playmotion is dumb. The new kicking system is a step backwards. Auto Sprint being off by default is ridiculous.

Waaayyyyy too much sponsorship. They even go as far as to have sponsored achievements. That's a little much.

Overall I think it took a step backwards. But I'm addicted to online so oh well I'll still play it a lot.

I love the game!!! It was tough at first but I finally got use to it. I'm a beast with spoon online, I've gotten a pick in all three games that i've played online with him. I'm glad I got it, I mostly play online so I'm not really concerened with franchise mode. Dunta helps out a lot at corner, i'm glad we finally got a descent defense.

I've seen it to where some guys have 74 wins in already, they clearly have nothing to do.

I love the game!!! It was tough at first but I finally got use to it. I'm a beast with spoon online, I've gotten a pick in all three games that i've played online with him. I'm glad I got it, I mostly play online so I'm not really concerened with franchise mode. Dunta helps out a lot at corner, i'm glad we finally got a descent defense.

I've seen it to where some guys have 74 wins in already, they clearly have nothing to do.

I am a bona fide noob when it comes to Madden, and virtually any console game at all, in all honesty, so I would like to ask a couple of questions and see if anyone can assist me in gaining knowledge.

1) I notice you say you've been successful getting interceptions; but how are you doing it? I'm not even attempting to play online at all thus far. I will either play the CPU, or I will play one of my sons. And I frequently have my db's get in position to make an INT, but they almost always drop it. Now, I'm allowing the CPU to handle the db's, as I would just screw it up if I tried to take over a db while he's making a play on the ball or making a tackle. Does the fact that I am not controlling the db make it harder to actually catch an INT. or is there something I can do to help him catch it eventhough I haven't been controlling him on the play?

2) Does anyone have some suggestions for ways to make good moves as a DE when you're trying to rush the passer? I don't know how to use a bull rush, or a spin move, or even a swim or rip move.

3) I guess I'm mainly using the DE or DT when playing defense because I don't want to risk screwing up the assignment of a LB or DB if I take control of them. As you get better is it smart to take over someone away from the LOS in order to make more plays yourself?

4) Does the game have any method of letting users actually create their own plays from the ground up? I mean control the linemen assignments, the routes the wr's use, etc. etc.? Also, is it possible to create a playbook with plays from several different playbooks and put them all in your playbook? That would be truly great.

Can someone explain the difference to me between taking the Falcons online and playing other people, and taking a team you create yourself online and playing other people? Is one of those modes the preferred method of play for most of the serious Madden players here?

Those are just a few questions I came up with off the top of my head. I'll probably have more. It sure would be great if I could get some useful information here to help me get up to speed playing this game.

I am a bona fide noob when it comes to Madden, and virtually any console game at all, in all honesty, so I would like to ask a couple of questions and see if anyone can assist me in gaining knowledge.

1) I notice you say you've been successful getting interceptions; but how are you doing it? I'm not even attempting to play online at all thus far. I will either play the CPU, or I will play one of my sons. And I frequently have my db's get in position to make an INT, but they almost always drop it. Now, I'm allowing the CPU to handle the db's, as I would just screw it up if I tried to take over a db while he's making a play on the ball or making a tackle. Does the fact that I am not controlling the db make it harder to actually catch an INT. or is there something I can do to help him catch it eventhough I haven't been controlling him on the play?

2) Does anyone have some suggestions for ways to make good moves as a DE when you're trying to rush the passer? I don't know how to use a bull rush, or a spin move, or even a swim or rip move.

3) I guess I'm mainly using the DE or DT when playing defense because I don't want to risk screwing up the assignment of a LB or DB if I take control of them. As you get better is it smart to take over someone away from the LOS in order to make more plays yourself?

4) Does the game have any method of letting users actually create their own plays from the ground up? I mean control the linemen assignments, the routes the wr's use, etc. etc.? Also, is it possible to create a playbook with plays from several different playbooks and put them all in your playbook? That would be truly great.

Can someone explain the difference to me between taking the Falcons online and playing other people, and taking a team you create yourself online and playing other people? Is one of those modes the preferred method of play for most of the serious Madden players here?

Those are just a few questions I came up with off the top of my head. I'll probably have more. It sure would be great if I could get some useful information here to help me get up to speed playing this game.

1. Nothing you can do without actually taking control of him.

2. All in the right thumb stick. Spin the joy stick around to do a spin move(6 o'clock position move counter clockwise to 9 o'clock to spin left, reverse to spin right). Right and left makes you do a move to go around that side of the player using a variety of moves. I believe up makes you just bull rush, and down makes you try to duck under the player.

3. I generally control the LB or Safety, primarily Curtis Lofton. A lot of people like to throw towards the middle of the field, so being able to add that "x-factor" that the AI simply cannot replicate allows you to cover more field while making minor changes to your drop in depth helps in coverage. You can also try to take control of blitzing LBs/Safeties so you can hit whatever gap becomes available to choose to just drop them back into coverage, like creating an "option" kinda play.

4. I wish you could, but you cannot. You have to be pretty quick with the audibles and hot route selection to try it mid-game. Ex. I come out in a Twin WR or 3 WR set. I see the opponent in man coverage. I might audible the outside WR to run a streak while the slot WR runs an out pattern.

5. People rarely create a team to take online, and a lot of people don't even play against them because people generally create ridiculously stacked teams that look something like the best of the '72 Dolphins, '85 Bears, and '07 Patriots.

3. I generally control the LB or Safety, primarily Curtis Lofton. A lot of people like to throw towards the middle of the field, so being able to add that "x-factor" that the AI simply cannot replicate allows you to cover more field while making minor changes to your drop in depth helps in coverage. You can also try to take control of blitzing LBs/Safeties so you can hit whatever gap becomes available to choose to just drop them back into coverage, like creating an "option" kinda play.

Also if you are playing the MLB, it is easy to stop the run. You can drop back in coverage for the pass, but when you see the hand off you can track the running back and make the tackle.

1. Nothing you can do without actually taking control of him.

2. All in the right thumb stick. Spin the joy stick around to do a spin move(6 o'clock position move counter clockwise to 9 o'clock to spin left, reverse to spin right). Right and left makes you do a move to go around that side of the player using a variety of moves. I believe up makes you just bull rush, and down makes you try to duck under the player.

4. I wish you could, but you cannot. You have to be pretty quick with the audibles and hot route selection to try it mid-game. Ex. I come out in a Twin WR or 3 WR set. I see the opponent in man coverage. I might audible the outside WR to run a streak while the slot WR runs an out pattern.

5. People rarely create a team to take online, and a lot of people don't even play against them because people generally create ridiculously stacked teams that look something like the best of the '72 Dolphins, '85 Bears, and '07 Patriots.

Also if you are playing the MLB, it is easy to stop the run. You can drop back in coverage for the pass, but when you see the hand off you can track the running back and make the tackle.

Thanks for the help guys. I've got a couple more questions if you've got time.

If you do happen to have control of a player who has a shot at an INT is there anything you can do to help make sure he catches the ball? I notice in the manual that you can use the "triangle button"(PS3) to help a receiver make a catch. Would the same thing work for a db, or do you know?

If you are on defense and you opponent airs one out down the sideline about 40 yards would any of you try to get control of the db covering that wr before the ball gets there or would you let the CPU handle it for you? If I try to take over the db I end up running him all over the place, or pausing long enough to give the wr 3-4 yards of a gap on me while the pass is coming down.

I think in the old game they had something called a hitstick which was supposed to create a really powerful hit on a player. Is there any way to make the hit more intense on the new game?

Thanks again for anyone's help here. I just want to get as much info as possible to make the game as fun as possible. I'll probably come back with more questions as I continue to think about the game, and how to become good at it.

Franchise mode not only didn't add anything, it took a lot of stuff out. You literally only play games and manage players. There's nothing else at all.

Graphics are nicely improved, as is commentary.

Playmotion is dumb. The new kicking system is a step backwards. Auto Sprint being off by default is ridiculous.

Waaayyyyy too much sponsorship. They even go as far as to have sponsored achievements. That's a little much.

Overall I think it took a step backwards. But I'm addicted to online so oh well I'll still play it a lot.

What he said.

I also do not care for the online game speed of all ranked games being set to "normal" and not "slow" like 10 was. It feels a bit more "arcade like" and less realistic to me. I'm not a big fan of having a receiver with 125+ yards in the first quarter. That doesn't seem very realistic to me..

However, I will continue playing and try to get used to the changes. I just don't know why EA made some of the changes they made. It's like they decided to make changes simply for the sake of making changes and I don't agree with that philosophy.

i dont understand why they had to make it so hard to play defense in this game. it takes so much effort just to force someone to punt. thats completely unrealistic.

and if anyone tries to tell me i just suck on defense, play 5 ranked matches online then you will see what i mean.

Agreed it's not uncommong to finish with a score around 56-45 every single time. I might see 2 punts in a game between each team.

What he said.

I also do not care for the online game speed of all ranked games being set to "normal" and not "slow" like 10 was. It feels a bit more "arcade like" and less realistic to me. I'm not a big fan of having a receiver with 125+ yards in the first quarter. That doesn't seem very realistic to me..

However, I will continue playing and try to get used to the changes. I just don't know why EA made some of the changes they made. It's like they decided to make changes simply for the sake of making changes and I don't agree with that philosophy.

That's exactly what they did. They made changes just to say they did instead of improving, or heck just keeping previous changes in the series. Why the franchise mode got dumbed down is beyond me

Thanks for the help guys. I've got a couple more questions if you've got time.

If you do happen to have control of a player who has a shot at an INT is there anything you can do to help make sure he catches the ball? I notice in the manual that you can use the "triangle button"(PS3) to help a receiver make a catch. Would the same thing work for a db, or do you know?

If you are on defense and you opponent airs one out down the sideline about 40 yards would any of you try to get control of the db covering that wr before the ball gets there or would you let the CPU handle it for you? If I try to take over the db I end up running him all over the place, or pausing long enough to give the wr 3-4 yards of a gap on me while the pass is coming down.

I think in the old game they had something called a hitstick which was supposed to create a really powerful hit on a player. Is there any way to make the hit more intense on the new game?

Thanks again for anyone's help here. I just want to get as much info as possible to make the game as fun as possible. I'll probably come back with more questions as I continue to think about the game, and how to become good at it.

I suck at defense too, but it seems that most people in madden 11 suck too as the scores are usually pretty high..

I agree with you about CB's dropping balls, the triangle thing doesnt even help at all really... i tried that many times because i do take control of a cb after the QB throws a bomb and get in perfect position to intercept the ball press triangle and the CB drops the ball (like 90% of the time). The commentator even makes a remark about it something to the extent he just dropped a easy pick or something similar to that.

To answer OP's question , i like madden because i can play w the falcons and my favorite players, that gives me most of the satisfaction. As far as the game it self, it is very similar to Madden 10 IMO. Only new addition i REALLY like is the online team play.

Edited by Scorpion

Agreed it's not uncommong to finish with a score around 56-45 every single time. I might see 2 punts in a game between each team.

Either I am pretty good at defense or I have been playing some bad players.

My advice. Man coverage DOES work in this game, and it works pretty well. Blitzing works as well, you can actually get to the QB pretty well if you rush a LB or safety or two. Zone coverage is not the end-all-be-all defense it used to be.

Surprised anyone's having issues with INTs, in my first game, against the CPU, I had 4 with Chris Owens a lone and 2 were pick six's. I've probably had 7 or so online in just 3 games. ...3 unfinished games. Which brings me to my only real complaint with the game, and it's a big one for me.

You can quit without receiving a loss in a ranked game, I haven't finished a game yet because every one quits when I take a lead or a commanding lead. And I don't even have the option to finish against the computer to receive a win, I just get NOTHING. No win, nothing. It's complete garbage. The game play it self, I've gotten used to and am starting to like, but that is unacceptable. It better be fixed because I don't like to play the CPU or do franchise.

Surprised anyone's having issues with INTs, in my first game, against the CPU, I had 4 with Chris Owens a lone and 2 were pick six's. I've probably had 7 or so online in just 3 games. ...3 unfinished games. Which brings me to my only real complaint with the game, and it's a big one for me.

You can quit without receiving a loss in a ranked game, I haven't finished a game yet because every one quits when I take a lead or a commanding lead. And I don't even have the option to finish against the computer to receive a win, I just get NOTHING. No win, nothing. It's complete garbage. The game play it self, I've gotten used to and am starting to like, but that is unacceptable. It better be fixed because I don't like to play the CPU or do franchise.

that is not true, do you select the choice quit and count the game ??? i had one person quit on me and i selected that choice and it gave me the w.