Chris Owens listed as the starter.

atljbo

I really like Owens as the starter... Do you think this tell us anything or will Smitty switch the 2 (Grimes and Owens) as starters thruout the preseason ?

CB Brent Grimes , who unofficially sits behind CB Chris Owens on the depth chart, had an athletic pass breakup. Grimes has shown improvement but his consistency still lacks. For every athletic play Grimes makes he remains vulnerable to giving up a big play.

Thats what scare me about Grimes.... Like Asante Samuel.... They will make really good plays but they will also cost you really big plays.... That inconsistency... With guys like that you haveto take the good with the bad with those guys.

I really like Owens as the starter... Do you think this tell us anything or will Smitty switch the 2 (Grimes and Owens) as starters thruout the preseason ?

Thats what scare me about Grimes.... Like Asante Samuel.... They will make really good plays but they will also cost you really big plays.... That inconsistency... With guys like that you haveto take the good with the bad with those guys.

I think Smitty will switch them out during the preseason and let the best man win. Both can be a little inconsistent...mostly attributed to inexperience. I like Owens mental toughness, he seems to bounce back quicker after a mis-play...important for a DB.

Ultimately I think Owens wins out the battle due to toughness (mental and physical) and better run support.

I hated Grimes early ...after Musin Muhammed raped him in that Panty game, I was disgusted with him .......but since then he has only got better and better, and I think he will be better this year than last .....he is always in the hip pocket, and even at 5-9, he is athletic enough to highpoint ..again, it's gonna be hard to keep him off the field, but I see him as a perfect nickel back if he does not win the starting job ......

I think they will swap Grimes and Owens for the first couple of preseason games.

Short term I would like Brian Williams to start (if healthy enough).

Long term I would like Owens to win the job. (although him getting toasted by Braylon Edwards is still fresh in my memory)

I like Grimes athletisism but I think he's too vulnerable to giving up a big play or a 3rd and long conversion.

Have they even released a depth chart???

Or is the poster just making the assumption??

IF one is release WHERE IS IT!!????? I would love to see it and study it..

There is another post on the board about the depth chart from D. Bedwetter that he states that the Falcons released....it also has Biermann third on the depth chart behind JA98 and C Davis?????

I started to say it in another thread, but that's exactly what scares me about Grimes too. For the great plays that he makes, he'll have that play where he gambles and it costs you.

i'd also rather have owens out there. he's very similar to dunta. if it wasn't for grimes' interceptions i'm sure much of the board would feel the same way.

grimes 09 reminded me of jason davids 08 season. both had nice INT stats and lead their teams in the category, but both also gave up a BUNCH of big plays (our secondary as a whole did as well).

owens is a lot more steady and a much better tackler if his man does catch the ball than grimes is. owens is also a lot better vs the run.

We've got to keep in mind this is an UNOFFICIAL DEPTH CHART as one of the reports reads. It is pretty fluid right now.

I know its a nervous time and a lot of anticipation, but some of the comments on the forum (not this thread) really paint an ugly picture of how fickle people in the fan base can be. We're in year 3 of the new era and people still believe that we have an FO that would lie rather than an FO who remains quiet... I understand there have been hard times for this orgnaisation but some of these fans who I'm beginning to feel are getting close to being fairweather fans need to just get off this bus and go support someone else.

SO I want to thank the posters in this thread in particular for holding it down for the organisation and discussing the issues within the team rather than just filling the thread with fear mongering and self propaganda

Have they even released a depth chart???

Or is the poster just making the assumption??

IF one is release WHERE IS IT!!????? I would love to see it and study it..

This

link

At the cornerback position, Dunta Robinson and Christopher Owens are listed as starters, but Brent Grimes will fill in as a starter Friday since Robinson is working to come back from a tight hamstring

unofficial depth chart = some crap some guy made up

Look at the link below your post. Its coming from within the organisation. I am not one for trawling through sites to find the info, but I do believ in the CBS Rapid reports it mentions COACH Smith commenting on the fact that his depth chart is very fluid right now.

Hopefully these sources will help you... Agreed though when it comes to message boards sometimes it best to take things with a pinch of salt and a dash of skepticism until you can see it for yourself

Look at the link below your post. Its coming from within the organisation. I am not one for trawling through sites to find the info, but I do believ in the CBS Rapid reports it mentions COACH Smith commenting on the fact that his depth chart is very fluid right now.

Hopefully these sources will help you... Agreed though when it comes to message boards sometimes it best to take things with a pinch of salt and a dash of skepticism until you can see it for yourself

fair enough

ALL cornerbacks make good and bad plays. All (occasionally) get beat deep. Grimes is only different in that there have been a few bigger receivers who have picked on him excessively. But I'd rather have the ups and downs with Grimes than a guy like Chris Houston or what was his name...Jason Webster? Yeah, those guys were consistent all right. Consistently 8 yards off the receiver and consistently tackling them after they made a 1st down. Is that what you want?

Modern day NFL defense REQUIRES gambling. The rules are tremendously stacked in favor of the offense for more scoring, more ESPN highlights. A 6-3 defensive struggle doesn't "play" well on Sports Center. In 2010 if you don't gamble on the blitz or an occasional interception, then even an AVERAGE NFL offense with an average QB will bleed you to death with 1000 paper cuts.

Offense is about consistency. Defense is about DISRUPTION.

Edited by since68andcounting

ALL cornerbacks make good and bad plays. All (occasionally) get beat deep. Grimes is only different in that there have been a few bigger receivers who have picked on him excessively. But I'd rather have the ups and downs with Grimes than a guy like Chris Houston or what was his name...Jason Webster? Yeah, those guys were consistent all right. Consistently 8 yards off the receiver and consistently tackling them after they made a 1st down. Is that what you want?

Modern day NFL defense REQUIRES gambling. The rules are tremendously stacked in favor of the offense for more scoring, more ESPN highlights. A 6-3 defensive struggle doesn't "play" well on Sports Center. In 2010 if you don't gamble on the blitz or an occasional interception, then even an AVERAGE NFL offense with an average QB will bleed you to death with 1000 paper cuts.

Offense is about consistency. Defense is about DISRUPTION.

Its not just about big plays.... Its about missing tackles also.... Like i said in another thread... If Grimes was the starter i wouldnt have a problem with it... The guy makes plays.... Its just he will cost you important plays also... Its good and bad.

If you go listen to jay's live chat (and from what ive heard)... Owens has had an outstanding offseason... Dude has been a ball hawk... I just like Owens aggressive style...

I think the missed tackles were more early in the season. Same with the abuse from the bigger receivers. To me Grimes got better every week. I trust the coaches but it frustrates me that Grimes looked like he was just coming into his own late last season and now he may be platooning. I think he will only get better and better with more reps.

The same could be said for Owens, I guess. I just don't think it should be a question who should start the beginning of this season when one guy led the team with 6 INTs. That earns a position imo, I don't care WHO you are. Though ultimately I think Franks may have the most long term upside of all our corners.

I think the missed tackles were more early in the season. Same with the abuse from the bigger receivers. To me Grimes got better every week. I trust the coaches but it frustrates me that Grimes looked like he was just coming into his own late last season and now he may be platooning. I think he will only get better and better with more reps.

The same could be said for Owens, I guess. I just don't think it should be a question who should start the beginning of this season when one guy led the team with 6 INTs. That earns a position imo, I don't care WHO you are. Though ultimately I think Franks may have the most long term upside of all our corners.

Producing 2 ints in only 6 games is impressive to me....

I think the Coaching Staff is just looking for more consistency... I heard that Grimes has looked good this offseason... Its just Owens has looked really really good.

Both improving is big for us regardless.... Both will get playing time.