CBS Rapid Report 08/10/10

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

11:54 am QB Matt Ryan on what he's gained during the combined practices with Jacksonville: "The speed of the practice picks up and it's more game-like. It's really helpful."

11:51 am QB Matt Ryan on relying on a new No. 2 WR target with Michael Jenkins out: "The biggest thing is to continue to work. We have so much time in training camp that no one is in scramble mode when somebody goes down."

11:32 am Coach Mike Smith on how the defense played: "I thought we played the run extremely well. I thought there were some pickups we need to get better at in terms of our zone coverage and route projections."

11:30 am Coach Mike Smith was asked if he saw a number of WR drops in the morning practice: "I was more on the defensive side. It's very difficult when you have two fields going...I'll watch the tape and certainly hope that's not the case."

11:26 am Coach Mike Smith said CB Brian Williams (ACL), WR Harry Douglas (ACL) and DT Peria Jerry (knee) will not play Friday against Kansas City. He added he expects all three to play in later preseason games.

11:25 am Coach Mike Smith said CB Brian Williams is scheduled to "get involved in group work" on Wednesday, but will not participate in team activities until at least next week.

11:20 am Coach Mike Smith said SS William Moore, SS Matt Giordano and TE Michael Palmer all have groin injuries. Moore's groin injury is the same he sustained during OTAs.

11:17 am Coach Mike Smith on the unofficial depth chart Atlanta released for the Kansas City exhibition game: "It's very fluid and it's going to be changing daily."

11:16 am Coach Mike Smith on CB Brian Williams' importance to return from injury: "I think Brian adds a lot of experience. He understands our defense...The biggest value Brian gives to our team is he can play all five DB positions."

10:37 am LB Sean Weatherspoon is having another solid outing in practice. He continues to execute his assignments in coverage, highlighted by knocking a pass out of RB Maurice Jones-Drew's hands.

10:32 am CB Brent Grimes , who unofficially sits behind CB Chris Owens on the depth chart, had an athletic pass breakup. Grimes has shown improvement but his consistency still lacks. For every athletic play Grimes makes he remains vulnerable to giving up a big play.

9:56 am The Falcons released an unofficial depth chart for their game against Kansas City on Friday. Listed as starters: DT Peria Jerry , CBs Dunta Robinson , Chris Owens and LBs Stephen Nicholas and Mike Peterson .

9:48 am TE Michael Palmer isn't dressed for practice, along with TEColin Peek (knee). This leaves a window open for more time for recently signed TE Robbie Agnone.

9:30 am LB Mike Peterson (calf) isn't practicing, but is outside watching. He was kept inside on Monday to keep the inflammation of his calf down.

9:04 am SS Matt Giordano is not practicing today. With SS William Moore and Giordano missing time, the only strong safeties available are starter Erik Coleman and rookie Shann Schillinger.